Wiki Posts
Search

taxes on redeeming points for flights & hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
taxes on redeeming points for flights & hotels

I've redeemed flights tons of times and I have an expectation to pay airport taxes, no brainer.

I've never done the hotel redemption thing because I always maximized airline miles. I recently got the HYATT chase CC with 2 free nights and redeemed it at the grand hyatt in Manhattan.

2 free nights, free wifi, complimentary bottle of champagne + chocolate covered strawberries = no taxes?

I was expecting to pay the 14% NY hotel tax, but nope, nothing.

Is this the norm?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The NY tax is a percentage of your final invoice, and if your invoice is $0 then 14% of $0 is $0.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HHonours, IHG Rewards, Best Western
Same here in the UK with IHG. I recently book a reward night at a Crowne Plaza and the points also covered the VAT ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.