Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying return and not using return leg?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Wrong. If your question is whether "they" (the carrier) could charge you for the one-way, you haven't read the t&c as well as the terms of the debit issued for your original ticket (paper or online charge).

A carrier which found this to have ocurred would simply refare the ticket and issue a debit for the correct fare difference. If you read through, you will see that you are obligated to pay the difference. You would have the option, here in the USA, and in most countries of initiating a chargeback, but would lose. This is no different than a hotel's recourse if it turns out that you swiped the towels and you've already checked out.

If the question is whether this is likely to happen if you do it once, the answer is that it's very unlikely.

The more likely result in general, and sometimes the greater hook is that the carrier simply zeroes out and closes the FF account. For people who bank 500K+ miles, that is a devastating hit.
OK. So heres a scenario.

1). I buy a proper oneway ticket for £700. Job done. Total cost £700.
2). I buy a return and throw the return portion. cost £350.

For (2),
a). Airline doesnt notice/doesnt bother - total cost £350.
b). Airline notices and bills me. Extra £350 - Total cost £700.

Is this right? Or in instance (b.) would airline be within their rights to charge me a FULL economy class oneway ticket for my used portion? (possibly a lot more than £700)
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
maybe i missed it, but if you don't have enough mi for a round trip award, why try to save the mi?

is the cost of a ticket that you can credit to ua/co out of sight?....you can also fly on us air or maybe other *a carriers...

edit to add....what is the route & dates of your trip....the above is a repeat....
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by paulfoel
Also, what can they do? Surely they cant legitimately charge your credit card for the full single fare?
You may want to dig into this legend threads for some interesting discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-vs-497-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ticketing.html
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by paulfoel
OK. So heres a scenario.

1). I buy a proper oneway ticket for £700. Job done. Total cost £700.
2). I buy a return and throw the return portion. cost £350.

For (2),
a). Airline doesnt notice/doesnt bother - total cost £350.
b). Airline notices and bills me. Extra £350 - Total cost £700.

Is this right? Or in instance (b.) would airline be within their rights to charge me a FULL economy class oneway ticket for my used portion? (possibly a lot more than £700)
You pay the full Y fare for the OW on refare. If the OW was 350, figure 9-10x for full Y so somewhere in the 3,100 range
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:09 pm

Shows the anti-fraud system is working here in the US. The goal is to keep people out who abuse the system over here. If another country and its businesses want to let it go, that's all about why different systems function differently.
Now you've got me. How in the heck is not taking a return flight fraud? I pay for an airfare and if I don't take it the airline simply sells my seat ... again. I realise we come from different environments but no way is it fraud. If they want people to book one way only then all they have to do is make the fare half the price of a return ticket not double the price.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:55 am
Original Poster

You pay the full Y fare for the OW on refare. If the OW was 350, figure 9-10x for full Y so somewhere in the 3,100 range
So potentially costly then if they do decide to bill you?

Must admit though I cant see where in the t+cs it says they could bill you for the difference of a full Y fare?

Last edited by paulfoel; Nov 9, 2011 at 4:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.