Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead carry-on baggage unloading etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Overhead carry-on baggage unloading etiquette

Lots of discussion on putting bags in and how much space room is yours on a shared plane but ive got another question Flying lga to ord yesterday lste afternoon on a completely full flight Didn't get upgraded and sat in a window exit row neither of which have occurred frequently this year. When the plane landed the passenger next to me also an
Exp immediately got up took his carryon bag out of the overhead and put it in the aisle completely blocking my access. He put his briefcase on the aisle seat so there was no room to maneuver. I moved into the aisle to try to open the overhead but he did not budge an inch or seem to notice. I was unable to retrieve my bag until he moved on.

So is there some etiquette for those in windows to get at their belongings or do you just wait until the aisle clears. Especially in the exit row I would have put the suitcase there and left some aisle access I'm usually in the aisle seat so this gave me a walk in someone else's shoes moment and got me wondering
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
I would just wait until the aisle clears. It's not like you can go anywhere anyway.

I have never understood the rush to jump up and get your stored bags only to stand for at least five or ten minutes.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Etiquettte goes both ways - and unfortunately, many flyers are clueless.

Moving to TravelBuzz! as this topic is not airline-specific. /Moderator
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
With aisle passengers in the aisle, and some with their bags there, where were you going to go? Personally, I'd rather people get there bags out as soon as possible. REgarding the briefcase on the seat, wouldn't that have simply limited your ability to sit in that seat? Why would you need to sit in the seat that was occupied by the briefcase?

Personally, I hate it when people want to squeeze into an already crowded aisle. It makes sense for people in the aisle seat to be there, if there is room. It makes no sense for the window seat passgners to try to crowd into it.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I get up from my aisle seat immediately, not to get off the plane 10 seconds quicker, but to stretch my legs after the long flight.

I usually open the bin immediately, mostly to ensure I won't get bonked in the head by another pax opening it. Generally the aisle fills, and I'll leave my bag up until it's my turn to de-plane, but after a while, if enough other pax remain seated that there's room in the aisle, then I'll take down my bag to expedite the process.

OP, if there was something in your bag you wanted while you waited, like a cell phone, simply asking will usually resolve it.

"Would you hand me that gray backpack up there, please? Thanks."
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
I'm almost invariably in the aisle seat, and will jump up quite quickly once the seatbelt sign goes off, as I've usually been sitting for between 1 and 15 hours. I'll grab my bag from the bin, and generally will ask middle/window pax in my row/side if there is a bag in the same (or adjacent) bin I can grab down for them while we're waiting for deboarding. My own bag will usually sit in the seat I've been in while waiting.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by worldiswide

So is there some etiquette for those in windows to get at their belongings or do you just wait until the aisle clears.
You just wait until the aisle clears. Part of flying in Coach is that you accept the fact that you can't just bounce up and sprint off the plane the instant the seat belt sign is turned off.

The only "etiquette" issues are that the aisle passengers allow an entire row to clear before moving forward. Exception are cases where passengers choose to wait and let everyone off, first, then take their time getting their stuff together. Usually that includes families with small children, disabled or elderly people, etc.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
If i'm in the aisle I haul my stuff down ASAP so I can get off as soon as an oportunity presents itself. I'm happy to haul my neighbours stuff out too. If in the window i'll sometimes ask the aisle person to grab my stuff. What really annoys me is when the aisle person waits til the seatbelt sign goes off before they even start getting their stuff ready to disembark- gear all over seat/seatback, shoes still off etc. I try to get all that done before landing so that I can just shove my book in my bag and go.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
You just wait until the aisle clears. Part of flying in Coach is that you accept the fact that you can't just bounce up and sprint off the plane the instant the seat belt sign is turned off.

The only "etiquette" issues are that the aisle passengers allow an entire row to clear before moving forward. Exception are cases where passengers choose to wait and let everyone off, first, then take their time getting their stuff together. Usually that includes families with small children, disabled or elderly people, etc.
That "choose to wait" should include anyone who knows they can't just slide their bag out of the overhead and start moving. There should never be a gap of more than a few feet between people moving down the aisle. Nothing more frustrating than the guy who starts slowly extracting his bag, putting it down, then slowly getting another bag or two out for his wife perhaps, then carefully arranging the handles before they even think about moving down the aisle, all while a planeload of people with tight connections is waiting behind them.

So yes, as you stated, if people are up and ready, it's not appropriate for the row behind to start, but if they're still sitting, then it is.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Another vote for getting up and getting stuff out of the overhead asap.

I am happy to be standing after sitting for a while. I pull down whatever is in the overhead. The carryon goes in the aisle (I try to stand over it) and the personal item goes in my seat. It's my seat, so that's where it goes. If it went in the aisle, then there'd be no room for the person in the aisle seat across from me.

I have all my stuff ready so I'm not blocking the aisle for the other folks in the middle and window seats.

If I know it's yours I'll ask if I can hand it to you. Since I'm a woman of a certain age, I'm usually refused.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
My seat of choice is the aisle emergency exit row. I usually get up immediately & get my bag down because I want to stretch my legs. But I also think that aisle-seat passengers are doing everyone else a favor by preparing to disembark--it makes things go more smoothly.

That said, remember that if the plane is full, there's not room for everyone in the aisle. I'll certainly let the window/middle passenger(s) out if space permits, but otherwise I'll offer to hand them their overhead bag, etc. and try to give them room to half-stand in the aisle seat.

If I'm in the window (which is rare), I'll typically move the bag at my feet into the aisle seat as soon as it's vacated. (If the aisle passenger has put his/her things there, I find that most will move them immediately when I pull out my under-seat bag & put it on my lap.) But I don't expect there to be room in the aisle for all of us.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by swag
I get up from my aisle seat immediately, not to get off the plane 10 seconds quicker, but to stretch my legs after the long flight.

I usually open the bin immediately, mostly to ensure I won't get bonked in the head by another pax opening it. Generally the aisle fills, and I'll leave my bag up until it's my turn to de-plane, but after a while, if enough other pax remain seated that there's room in the aisle, then I'll take down my bag to expedite the process.

OP, if there was something in your bag you wanted while you waited, like a cell phone, simply asking will usually resolve it.

"Would you hand me that gray backpack up there, please? Thanks."
+1. If in an aisle, I do this, if in a window, I just wait. No point in crowding.

I also agree that the people behind should wait until those in the row that want out, get out. It is rude to push forward while others try to exit their rows.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
+1. If in an aisle, I do this, if in a window, I just wait. No point in crowding.

I also agree that the people behind should wait until those in the row that want out, get out. It is rude to push forward while others try to exit their rows.
As I usually have 1 or 2 checked bags. I just sit there reading my book, making a phone call or whatever else. Let all the cattle fight there way off. Then I get up, grab my backpack/laptop bag & deplane. Usually by the time I have visited the little travelers room in the concourse & walked leisurally to Baggage claim, luggage is just starting to arrive. No Stress, No Mess.

Also I am usually in the Window seat.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by jmastron
That "choose to wait" should include anyone who knows they can't just slide their bag out of the overhead and start moving.
In the early days of MrQ's disability, we chose to wait and let everyone off first, then get his walker and go on our way.

Now that he's a lot better and only needs a cane, we get off during our regular turn.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by TR7_DFW
I would just wait until the aisle clears. It's not like you can go anywhere anyway.

I have never understood the rush to jump up and get your stored bags only to stand for at least five or ten minutes.
+1.

I laugh when someone JUMPS up before the seatbelt sign is even off and removed his/her bag...like Where do you think you're going???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.