For tall and fat flyers ONLY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For tall and fat flyers ONLY

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I'm female, gray-haired, over 40, short (5'2") and wide. Practically an invisible person as far as our society goes. You guys have an advantage when it comes to this hostility against large folks -- no one dares comment on it in your presence. With me it's different -- I look non-threatening and people seem to feel comfortable saying the rudest things directly to me.
Oh God yes! Sigh.....

I fly first class. I just don't want to have that person come down the aisle rolling their eyes that they are next to the "fat person". So I fly up front or if I have to fly coach, exit row window.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I rarely fly for business; most of my flights are personal, and paid for out of pocket. ......I get by. I always get a window seat. I used to go to the back of the plane to maximize chances of having an empty middle next to me, but every flight I've taken the last 3 or 4 years has been sold out, so I've started heading for the exit rows now to get a little more leg room. I only take one carryon, so I can keep my underseat space free for my feet....Or I might save the money and load up on ibuprofin before takeoff.
Several people in this thread mention window seats in coach as a good idea. I am really interested in this because I find the window really a poor choice. Usually, the curve of the plane takes a bunch of my shoulder space and makes for a really rotten flight. I like the ibuprofin idea, though.

My best seat choice is an exit row aisle. You really have to be careful, though. (God bless SeatGuru for this info). Some rows are marked exit but are actually anything but. Like Row 10 on AA 757's.

I also travel on my own dime. It hurts to get the slings and arrows of other threads who basically say that I should pay for the second seat. I wonder how many of them pay their own fares.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by nerd
Seriously, are we allowed to say tall now?

To avoid any hurt e-feelings, I thought it was Person of Height?
If you can be "nerd", I can be either tall or "vertically enhanced". I prefer tall and fat. It is the truth.

Next week, I am flying with Mrs. PhillyJoe to a conference in SFO. We go PHL/DFW and then DFW/SFO. We have regular (no-exit) seats on the first leg. If you are going PHL/DFW on Wednesday and see a tall and fat guy with a dishy looking wife sitting behind you, please recline gently!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Didn't know you were a big guy too..

We should start a big and tall FT group.. just to give us big guys some support..
Great idea! Let's make it, the group, FT XXXXL, happen!

This was actually my idea when I started the thread. For what it's worth, I seldom see a biggie who acts rude or "entitled." I do, however, often see a lot of normal sized folks who take rude to a new level. I wonder if they would rather a polite biggie or a regular sized person whom you can smell four rows away with a great talent for passing gas.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Boeing or Airbus?

I travel a lot internationally. I actually try to get a Boeing plane. I feel that Airbus seats are made for skinny European butts and not for proper American wide butts.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by horseymen
I really hope this thread takes off. Especially considering budgetary concerns. I know the whole idea exists that the airlines are transporting more of me, so I should pay my fair share, but I don't need two whole seats, I need slightly more than one and more leg room.
It does seem to me that the airlines could charge a 50-percent premium to guarantee an empty adjacent seat on a three-across seating plan. Most really huge flyers still don't take up more than 1.4 seats, so it would provide plenty of room for both the aisle and window passenger. And having an empty seat won't magically create leg room, but it will let you kind of put your legs sideways a bit, which should provide some relief.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
It does seem to me that the airlines could charge a 50-percent premium to guarantee an empty adjacent seat on a three-across seating plan. Most really huge flyers still don't take up more than 1.4 seats, so it would provide plenty of room for both the aisle and window passenger. And having an empty seat won't magically create leg room, but it will let you kind of put your legs sideways a bit, which should provide some relief.
And then make the available seat a premium seat and charge the complainers a 50% up charge for the space they seem to want or desire!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jwhite4304
Great idea! Let's make it, the group, FT XXXXL, happen!
FTXLT. It's gonna be huge! Er, no pun intended...

Originally Posted by phillyjoe
Several people in this thread mention window seats in coach as a good idea. I am really interested in this because I find the window really a poor choice. Usually, the curve of the plane takes a bunch of my shoulder space and makes for a really rotten flight. I like the ibuprofin idea, though.

My best seat choice is an exit row aisle. You really have to be careful, though. (God bless SeatGuru for this info). Some rows are marked exit but are actually anything but. Like Row 10 on AA 757's.

I also travel on my own dime. It hurts to get the slings and arrows of other threads who basically say that I should pay for the second seat. I wonder how many of them pay their own fares.
In my case, I like the window seat because it allows me to lean into the wall. One of the difficulties I have with my size is the many aches and pains that I've developed over the years, including horrible neck pain from degenerative disk disease (3 herniated disks in my neck), knee pain from an old sport injury, and rather massive pain in my butt from another old sports injury - I cracked my coccyx playing paintball. Once you stop snickering over the word "coccyx", you realize that having it cracked once will provide you with a lifetime of the most annoying discomfort and pain, because you'll never be able to sit still for long periods of time, no matter how comfy the seat might be.

I also like the window because it guarantees me at least one armrest. I try to be considerate and leave the center armrests to the person occupying the middle seat (I fell that it's only fair), but I like having at least one that I can lean on. Leaning on an armrest takes some of the weight of my upper body off the spine, relieving my neck pain. Somewhat.

I side with those who say, if you take more than one seat, pay for two (unless the flight is not full and the seat was going to be vacant anyway). I've been fortunate that I haven't been large enough to need a second seat, and I have been dieting to avoid that eventuality, but if I were big enough that I didn't fit in one seat, I'd feel it was my obligation to pay for two.

Rude people saying nasty things to you is a fact of life; I hate it, but it's there, and if you don't figure out a way to deal with it in your own mind, you're going to be miserable for the rest of your life. So let them call me names, let them be jerkholes. I feel better when I imagine how they'd react if I ever met them in person - all 6'4" and 260lb of me.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travel a lot internationally. I actually try to get a Boeing plane. I feel that Airbus seats are made for skinny European butts and not for proper American wide butts.
Actually, the coach seats on Airbus aircraft are slightly wider than many coach seats on Boeing aircraft. About 18" wide on a 320 vs. 17" on a 737. I book the 320 over the 737 any chance I get.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Honors GLD, SPG PLAT
6'11 - 325 here... fly exclusive AA.

Flying is not fun - its tolerable up front with an isle (bulkhead on the MD80).

I have pretty good success rate for upgrades (70%ish 2 GLD hope for better with PLT) or go to the aiport 24 hours in advance to snag and "express seat" (I live near DFW so thats not an issue).

SO yea... I feel ya all. I am usually the one getting the "oh no - not him - not next to me!" looks. Sorry - I go out of my way to stay out of the other passengers space - if anything I give them some of mine when possible but people could care less. Something about walking onto an airplane gives people a sense on entitlement that blows my mind.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I am short, so for me the window is great because there is just that bit extra from the seat to the wall.

[quote]I travel a lot internationally. I actually try to get a Boeing plane. I feel that Airbus seats are made for skinny European butts and not for proper American wide butts.[quote/]

OMG. I flew on one of Delta's international planes (Airbus). Was flying domestically but it was connecting out of the country. I was in first class and absolutely cringed when I went to sit in the first class seat and I didn't fit.
I looked around and I was not the only person having issues with the seats. Standard size people were rather cramped as well. Even coach never squeezed me this badly on a flight. I noticed too it was an Airbus. I have never been so uncomfortable in first class ever.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: Independent
I think it depends on the aircraft. For some, particularly the MD88s and regional jets, the curve is rather bothersome. For the 6 across planes - again particularly the airbuses - the widest part is placed just at the shoulder level, so it actually feels like you have that little bit more room - there is no one fighting with you over the arm rest. and, you can lean to that side without getting ht by the cart or anyone walking by.

OK, how to put this one delicately... What has been your experience going through the new body scanners? I have had several cases now where I have had to go through again because of "anomalys" on the scan. Now, they have never said exactly WHAT those anomalys were, but I have suspicions. In any case, I make sure when I do go through them to suck in my gut and hold my breath, and that seems to work better.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
...In my case, I like the window seat because it allows me to lean into the wall. One of the difficulties I have with my size is the many aches and pains that I've developed over the years, including horrible neck pain from degenerative disk disease (3 herniated disks in my neck), knee pain from an old sport injury, and rather massive pain in my butt from another old sports injury - I cracked my coccyx playing paintball. Once you stop snickering over the word "coccyx", you realize that having it cracked once will provide you with a lifetime of the most annoying discomfort and pain, because you'll never be able to sit still for long periods of time, no matter how comfy the seat might be.
I like window seat as well for the same reason.. With little room to move, leaning up against the wall is a great feature for big guys' like us.

Not the greatest comfort for big guys.. but more comfortable than aisle, or middle seat imo.. Plus I like the fact I don't need to get up everytime someone wants to get out..
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

The body scan

Originally Posted by Cloudship
OK, how to put this one delicately... What has been your experience going through the new body scanners? I have had several cases now where I have had to go through again because of "anomalys" on the scan. Now, they have never said exactly WHAT those anomalys were, but I have suspicions. In any case, I make sure when I do go through them to suck in my gut and hold my breath, and that seems to work better.
I haven't had that happen yet. But in Europe, they often seem to want to check that my equator is actually me and not something I'm trying to smuggle onboard. I actually haven't had a TSA person "go for my gusto" yet; I'm not really sure how I would react. In LHR, they just seem to be non-offensive about it.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: Too many
5 foot and fat! I much prefer the window seat also as I feel like I'm not intruding as much and can lean over and put my head to the wall when trying to rest etc

It's rare that I don't travel with someone else and no problems with me getting the window seat every time.

Domestic flights within Oz can be painful at times especially the LCC's which I avoid at all costs...

Best for me internationally is MH who have a pretty good seat width for Y

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.