Wiki Posts
Search

Drink Choices for people who don't drink much

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Drink Choices for people who don't drink much

I am not a big drinker and honestly only like stuff that tastes more "fruity" by nature. Drinks like malibu rum and cranberry juice or frozen margaritas. That being said, any options in first class that I would still enjoy?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Ask for the Sunrise Sunset - a FA-created drink from awhile ago (some FAs know how to make it still, most need a re-fresher):

Vodka
Cran-apple
Splash of OJ
A lime

Great combination! Smooth.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Excellent, thank you!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You will mostly have to "come up with your own" - look at the juices you like and mixing with vodka is usually the safest, but some mix well with rum (and occasionally, gin, too.) If you want something fizzy and not quite as heavy, ask for vodka with 1/2 whatever juice and then 1/2 sprite/diet sprite.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfield
I am not a big drinker and honestly only like stuff that tastes more "fruity" by nature. Drinks like malibu rum and cranberry juice or frozen margaritas. That being said, any options in first class that I would still enjoy?
Champagne with a fruit jucie orange juice is a mimosa in North America, a bucks fizz in the UK. I quite like apple juice with champagne too, and like fruity spirits (chambord etc) but that might be a bit heady if you don't drink much.

Baileys with lots of ice is a nice 'chocolate milkshake' type of a drink, not as strong a spirit as vodka etc.

Fruity martinis can be good, such as a cosmopolitan, but again you might find them a bit strong.

One I like, and find really refreshing is a dry vermouth (extra dry martini in the green bottle) mixed with 7up or sprite. It has a bad rep in the UK, because lots of underage teenage girls drink it - but they drink it because it is sweet and not too lethal! I like it as a long drink in the summer where I fancy something, but not getting too tipsy! Pimms is another similar drink which might fit the bill, although not sure how many airlines carry it.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:48 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emma69
Champagne with a fruit jucie orange juice is a mimosa in North America, a bucks fizz in the UK. I quite like apple juice with champagne too, and like fruity spirits (chambord etc) but that might be a bit heady if you don't drink much.

Baileys with lots of ice is a nice 'chocolate milkshake' type of a drink, not as strong a spirit as vodka etc.
My mother's not a big drinker, but she does enjoy having a light cocktail when she's flying. She normally goes with a mimosa also, but instead of the standard "lots of champagne with splash of orange juice," she asks for "glass of orange juice with a splash of champagne."

For an after-dinner drink, I've her turned onto Kahlua and milk with lots of ice. Milk and ice tone down the cloying sweetness while also giving her something she can slowly sip.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
You can always ask for the drink minus the booze. I do that a lot when I'm out for dinner with friends.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A shaked up smoothie, is a nice alternative for someone who doesn't drink often..

If a milkshake is possible.. or just straight slush from the pina colada machine works as well..
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Ask for the Sunrise Sunset - a FA-created drink from awhile ago (some FAs know how to make it still, most need a re-fresher):

Vodka
Cran-apple
Splash of OJ
A lime

Great combination! Smooth.
In a similar vein is a Madras- equal parts orange juice and cranberry juice with a shot of vodka.

I'm not sure how well stocked aircraft liquor cabinets are, but if it's available Amaretto (a sweet, almond-flavored liqueur) is good for sipping either neat or on ice.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:17 am

Here is one

Cran Apple Juice
Ginger Ale
Brandy or Whiskey

Baileys Irish Cream
Coffee
Amaretto

Baileys Irish Cream over Ice Cream Sundae

Tonic Water or Carbonated Water
Cran-Apple Juice
Gin

Bloody Mary Mix
Brandy
Whiskey

Rum
Dr Pepper

Sparkling Wine with your own Fruit Infused Teabag

Tazo Refresh Mint Tea
Gin
Orange Juice
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Check the airport shops for a wider assortment of juices and bottled drinks, or the restaurants/fast food places that sell to-go smoothies or coffees. The assortment of liquor on a flight is going to depened largely on if it's an International or domestic F trip, and who the carrier is, but with a few exceptions, you won't find a fully stocked bar on even the most premuim of carriers/cabins. Having a really good mixer helps give more options, and almost anything can be mixed with vodka. If you find a good banana mango smoothie at the airport restaurant, carry it on and ask the FA for the liquor (vodka or rum for that smoothie). The Starbucks frappucino bottles have mostly disappeared from USA domestic F but if you can find one in an airport shop, they are *amazing* with Baileys.

Coke Zero, however, is downright nasty when mixed with liquor so don't go there.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:44 am

As you donīt drink much, a champagne cocktail might be the ideal:
mimosa ( champ + orange juice )
bellini ( champ + peach ) or a
Kir royal ( not as sweet, champ + creme de cassis )

Not sweet at all, I do recommend a Bloody Mary :-)
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Singapore Slings are awesome if you ever get a chance to fly on SQ.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Scotch and tomato juice cocktail.

It will at least get their attention!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
don't order doubles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.