Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Refusing any housekeeping -- am I weird?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)

Emboldened by the brave soul in this thread who admitted to requesting a middle seat on a plane, I'm going to come forward with what I'm expecting to be a similarly rare preference: no housekeeping.

I've traveled extensively over the years, 30 countries, lots of hotel rooms... but it wasn't until this last week that I finally admitted to myself: I don't like housekeeping folks in my room. No, no, nothing against those hardworking souls who are housekeepers!

Rather, I finally came to the realization that:
- I ended up feeling annoyedly obligated to, well, clean up my room before leaving for the day.
- And with the typical three day stay, I really felt no need for someone to make my bed, reposition my towels, and neatly line up all my various toiletries.

So for the first time ever, I kept that "Zzzzz" sign on the door, and told the front desk people to please ask housekeeping folks not to knock or enter my room.

Have any of you also felt or done similarly? Just curious... :-)
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do this all the time. I prefer to keep everyone out of the room while I am there, and will just ask for some new towels when I want them if I am there long enough.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:10 am

My stays are usually 8-12 days...

On arrival I set it up that the room is only serviced "on request"... in my case I ask for that every 3 days or so...

Most hotels (naturally!) are happy to comply!!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:21 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I am exactly the same way. Daily housekeeping makes no sense whatsoever. When you are at home, do you clean your house (or have someone clean it) every day? Didn't think so.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Often the same thing myself - hotels normally appreciate it
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HI Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond
I normally hang the DND sign on my door. I am like the rest of you - I don't need my room cleaned everyday, and I feel like I should straighten up my room every morning so housekeeping doesn't see my bra's hanging on the chair

Last trip to Germany though housekeeping got really annoyed that I had the DND on my door. Hilton Frankfurt - they called the first night asking if everything was ok. The Third night - housekeeper and a supervisor came to my room at 9 PM. Maybe to check if I was dead?! First time this had ever happened with DND sign. The next week at the Intercontinental - Frankfurt, same phone calls to make sure everything was ok. All the time I have traveled, I have never had this happen.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:22 am

I'm more likely to do this at small hotels and b&b's. I let them know that there is no need for the maid to clean the room when I leave in the morning. However, I always worry that the maid is paid by the room and may end up with less money in her pocket.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I never feel the need but I usually let housekeeping do their thing everyday. I don't ask for new towels and sheets everyday though obviously.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:09 am

I did it once when a vacation unexpectedly lasted a couple days longer thanks to a snow storm. Rather than use more vacation days, I opted to telecommute from my hotel room and refused housekeeping since it would've just been a distraction, especially if they came in while I was on a conference call.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:12 am
Suspended

For a 2-3 day stay, I'd generally prefer no housekeeping - I also feel that this lets me leave my computer and phone lying around without worrying that they will become temptations for someone to whom they might represent significant value items.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Remember, this doesn't mean no hotel employees won't enter your room. They do room checks just to see if you're still there, not doing illegal things, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
I'm the opposite. I wan them to clean it, change linens and towels, refresh toilestries, every day, plus also do the turn down service in the evening.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by cbn42
do you clean your house (or have someone clean it) every day? Didn't think so.
Yes I do actually.... LOL...

I have them clean daily. I like coming back to a freshly made bed, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
When I was a landlord, one set of tenants (family with three kids) washed and dried all their bedding every day. Their electric bill (hot water heater, electric dryer) was six times what ours was each month.

So there are people who do it every day.

There have been threads about it in the past around here, and many people, myself included, prefer not to have the bed made every day. I don't mind them emptying the garbage but there's no need for new towels, and a made bed every day. If I see them in the hall I'll ask, but I have never worry too much about it one way or the other.

I really think it's silly when somebody comes in the morning and makes the bed, then comes back at night to fold it down for you.

If I was in the room part of the day or had people visiting I would probably feel differently, but usually when we leave, we are out until that night.

There was a time when you could refuse housekeeping for bonus points not sure if that's still happening or not (first thread)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ng-points.html

This thread was a previous discussion about it

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ring-stay.html
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Remember, this doesn't mean no hotel employees won't enter your room. They do room checks just to see if you're still there, not doing illegal things, etc.
Actually, hanging a Do Not Disturb sign on the door, coupled with a request of no housekeeping, should mean exactly no hotel employees entering your room.

I'm not saying that every hotel will observe this policy, but every hotel that would like to receive return business from me should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.