Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When you're done early with a business trip...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When you're done early with a business trip...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Some people may.. but I wouldn't know what world they are from.. unless its' on company expense or something..

But as a company owner, I would never authorize an expense like that.. That's unacceptable economics to me..
Same here. I'd never pay it, nor would I expect anyone to pay it for me.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
No, it is still a work day as I can easily get 60 emails a day (or more) that need to be handled whether I sit at a desk in the office or a desk in a different city.
I find after doing something around the city , then coming back and working, I actually get more done than if I were back in the office. I am undisturbed and can get things finished.
As long as the work gets done, doesn't really matter where I am......
Yep, that's it! Work never stays at work...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I almost always take time to explore a city that I visit on business - and I insist on staying in a city centre when I travel. If I finish early, and have no additional work I can usefully do, I have zero problem using the time as I see fit.

Any boss or customer who has a problem with the work I produce as a result can feel free to take it up with me and I will happily demonstrate their error.

If it's about the principle of time allocation, then they can remember all the evenings and weekends I've given up for them. Again, I'm more than happy to demonstrate how much this extends to.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ~tc~
Wow, this is a sad, sad way to live.
How is that sad? My company or my client is paying for my travel, thus they have the right to expect that I will dedicate all of my time whilst travelling on their dime to value-added activities.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
If there is something interesting to do or place to visit, yes.

If not I call and SDC onto an earlier flight home.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Originally Posted by brendog
How is that sad? My company or my client is paying for my travel, thus they have the right to expect that I will dedicate all of my time whilst travelling on their dime to value-added activities.
Perhaps they do have the right to expect that of you, although I think some businesses wouldn't mind letting you relax for a few hours on their account, if you've done what they expected you to do and you finished early without any problems and the client is happy with the work, ESPECIALLY if you've had to work long hours or make other form of sacrifice. A good way to boost your morale, in other words.

But if you like to keep working anyway, go for it.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
If you're referring to the business day, I can see your point. If are including evenings and weekends away from home during a biz trip, I agree that's sad. Neither my boss or customers expect all of my waking hours during a trip to be dedicated to business.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:13 pm

I think it just comes done to what you think is a fair/equitable situation for you and your company if you are out on business. I will routinely pay $50-$100 to get home 2-4 hours early from a business trip and my company has no problem with that. I would not pay $300+ to do the same, just does not seem to be a fair expense in my mind. Same would be true on longer duration I may pay $500 to get home a couple of days early but not $1000+

There is a value to my time and my company values my well being and we seem to have set the bar in the right place. I've have not had a single expense report issue in over 24 years of business travel.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
My view is they are paying you to travel to accomplish a certain function.

If you satisfactorily complete that function in less time, your reward is to get to do some sightseeing.

Look at it the other way, perhaps. What happens if your work takes longer than budgeted? Do you make the client pay for the extra nights or trip? I bet you do.

Also, if its about what the client is paying - do you fly the cheapest possible fare, or what works for your schedule and FFP preferences?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Bingo. I'm not making money for my company, nor am I spending my clients' money wisely when I'm sitting on my duff or sightseeing. Business travel is for business only, it's not supposed to be fun.
But if it is no cost and great benefit you should be doing it!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'd probably chose to stay and make the best of it. In the grand scheme of things, how often will you get to spend extra days in Japan? Savor the opportunity.

With that said, I have colleagues who would do otherwise. It's your call, based on your priorities.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:36 pm

Correction, your company has a right to expect that you will dedicate your normal working hours to value-added activities or supporting activities (travel time, prep, etc...) plus a reasonable amount of overtime as needed to maintain project scheduling, and that their money will not be used primarily for personal use.

If you efficiently conduct company business and use nights/weekends for your own enjoyment or your efficiency creates extra time that you are not reasonably able to use for productive purposes, its called being a professional.

A professional's clients aren't buying x number of work hours or y reams of output, they are buying a solution to their problem. If instead of spending time to take care of yourself & your needs, you dedicate yourself 24/7 to a project, but start making mistakes because of fatigue or get burned-out, the client is going to be much less happy than if you had delivered a quality solution that may have taken a bit more time.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:17 pm

Why not email up the line to see what your company wants you to do?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I pretty much don't work on weekends even if I'm on a business trip (although I answer calls and take some e-mails). Obviously you're under some time constraints so occasional light overtime may be necessary, but I would quit my job if my employer told me to work pretty much all day, everyday on business trips.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rmiller774
Why not email up the line to see what your company wants you to do?
My recommendation, if the trip has anything to do with company dime..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.