Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone else always request the middle seat on all flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i like to be surrounded by people because it gives me a sense of security, so whenever the check-in people ask me which seat i prefer i always ask for the middle seat.

but for some reason most of them just stare back, or they keep asking the same question several times and i have to say the same thing again and again.

anyone else feel the same frustration?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:00 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I have never heard of anyone wanting a middle seat, but if that's what you prefer, there's nothing wrong with it. I'd suggest you say something like "I know it might seem strange, but I prefer the middle seat" so that they don't think you misunderstood the question.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by calista
i like to be surrounded by people because it gives me a sense of security,...
Just wondering is this related to some other fear (acrophobia, agoraphobia, autophobia...)?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
Wow, I've checked in tens of thousands of pax and every single time, I ask them which seat they want, and believe me, you are one unique flyer my friend ;D
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:38 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you should be in the guiness book of records!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
this explains why sometimes when I book seats I see the middle-seat, and only the middle-seat taken. very rare but confuses me. I thought airline was just being rude to some non-elite!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by calista
i like to be surrounded by people because it gives me a sense of security, so whenever the check-in people ask me which seat i prefer i always ask for the middle seat.
Do you ever ask to be put in a row with very large people in the aisle and window seats to help you be more surrounded, or does it not really matter?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You check in and they ask you which seat you want? Which airline still does that?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
We do so in Europe man ;-)
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by shanshan
this explains why sometimes when I book seats I see the middle-seat, and only the middle-seat taken. very rare but confuses me. I thought airline was just being rude to some non-elite!
If the airline charges extra to get a window/aisle seat in advance, that could also be the reason.

I've only heard of one other person who liked middle seats. Apparently she like to have other people to talk to.

Last edited by LizzyDragon84; Oct 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I work with a guy who always books middle seats. He figures that others will take windows and aisles where the middle is empty, and he has a better chance of either the window or aisle next to him being empty.

?

I think he's nuts, but then so many IT guys are a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
So grabbing an aisle with an occupied middle and having another person about a foot away in the opposite aisle is not adequate? Wow, never heard of such a thing, but to each their own I suppose.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I think the op is nuts myself but whatever. For me I hate middle seats but don't have choice lots of the time
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I work with a guy who always books middle seats. He figures that others will take windows and aisles where the middle is empty, and he has a better chance of either the window or aisle next to him being empty.

?

I think he's nuts, but then so many IT guys are a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket.
I had this happen once. I was in the aisle seat and person sat in the middle. Boarding finished and no one was in the window seat. The person next to me didn't move to window seat. Instead he used it as his own extra area.

I was fuming that I had fight him for the armrest and there was an open seat next to him. Never occurred to me that people purposely do this.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

?

LOL!

Maybe I should book a middle seat and gauge the results..

Many flyers will run for the hills when they see a 6'5" chinese guy plunk down into the middle seat.. I like to sit with my legs relaxed and not together..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.