Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airline baggage rules apply (complex question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline baggage rules apply (complex question)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
....My understanding is that the MSC is usually whichever operating airline is flying the longest segment of the ticket. ....
Absolutely not, though often it happens to be the longest segment so it can give that impression! In short the MSC is the airline flying the sector that is the first to cross an IATA area or subarea, and for trips within a single IATA area the airline flying the first international sector ... it is of course more complicated than that. For greater detail see for example http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...effect-qf.html
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Absolutely not, though often it happens to be the longest segment so it can give that impression! In short the MSC is the airline flying the sector that is the first to cross an IATA area or subarea, and for trips within a single IATA area the airline flying the first international sector ... it is of course more complicated than that. For greater detail see for example http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...effect-qf.html
Good grief! Thanks for the clarification. It makes me glad that I'm usually able to carry-on for most of my trips- trying to make heads or tails of the MSC rules is making my head spin.

But it looks like for garyschmitt, the US exception will apply to him if the US is his destination, so whatever the first operating carrier is sets the rules. Hopefully that clears things up for you, Gary.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

I spoke to a travel agent, who then said that "it's a LH flight", and that therefore LH rules apply, and therefore only one bag allowed. It's difficult to accept that though, considering the US DOT rules saying it's all based on the first flight, and the SN and LH websites both saying it's the "operator" of the flight that's significant.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by garyschmitt
I spoke to a travel agent, who then said that "it's a LH flight", and that therefore LH rules apply, and therefore only one bag allowed. It's difficult to accept that though, considering the US DOT rules saying it's all based on the first flight, and the SN and LH websites both saying it's the "operator" of the flight that's significant.
The travel agent is wrong.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by garyschmitt
The TA may be dead bang wrong. There is only one way for you to answer your own question and that is to carefully read the IATA rules (check IATA website) which became effective in April 2011 on MSC. Your TA gave you the easy answer which is usually correct, but may or may not be in this case. Because excess baggage charges on intl segments can be grotesquely high, this is something worth figuring out in advance, printing out, confirming with the carrier with which you will physically check your bags and having them note in your record.

It's also worth looking at how all of this affects faring. If you can save $1,000 in airfare and be required to pay $300 in excess baggage, it's worth it. If you get the second bag without fee, but the fare is $1,000 higher, it wasn't really "free."
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The TA may be dead bang wrong. There is only one way for you to answer your own question and that is to carefully read the IATA rules (check IATA website) which became effective in April 2011 on MSC. Your TA gave you the easy answer which is usually correct, but may or may not be in this case. Because excess baggage charges on intl segments can be grotesquely high, this is something worth figuring out in advance, printing out, confirming with the carrier with which you will physically check your bags and having them note in your record.

It's also worth looking at how all of this affects faring. If you can save $1,000 in airfare and be required to pay $300 in excess baggage, it's worth it. If you get the second bag without fee, but the fare is $1,000 higher, it wasn't really "free."
Agreed.. Total fare is what matters if all remains same..

If certain airline services is worth more for the ticket, then its worth considering whether that differentiation in services and marketing is worth paying more for..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.