Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

10 safest airlines in the world (According to ATRA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 safest airlines in the world (According to ATRA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
Colour me confused but I'd severly question the credibility of any article in this regard which lists Southwest Airlines but does not include Singapore Airlines & Qantas in that list.

Rainman says Qantas is the safest.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's ridiculous. Speeding up before touchdown would delay the landing, and extend the landing roll, resulting in it taking longer to reach the gate.

The Burbank accident was due to the continuation of an unstablized approach which resulted from poor handling from the radar approach controller.

Quote:
The NTSB concluded that the probable cause for the accident was excessive flight speed and the steep angle of the glidepath (7 degrees, as opposed to the 3 degrees normally used for both visual and instrument approaches), and the flight crew's failure to abort the approach when conditions were not met for a stable approach and landing. The action of the flight controller was listed as a contributing factor in the accident: "Contributing to the accident was the controller's positioning of the airplane in such a manner as to leave no safe options for the flight crew other than a go-around maneuver."

Air safety experts and pilots suggested the accident was an example of a situation where "fast, steep, unstabilized approaches" are dangerous, and of how inadequate the safety margins around the Burbank runways are (as well as similar U.S. airports).
You've lost me on this one, Larry J. Regardless if the plane was speeding up or already in excessive speed and then unstabilized approach, speed did have something to do with this accident.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Probably a flop vertical landing caused by a wind tunnel vortex..
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
You've lost me on this one, Larry J. Regardless if the plane was speeding up or already in excessive speed and then unstabilized approach, speed did have something to do with this accident.
You said that SWA pilot's routinely speed up at touchdown to reach the gate quicker. That's ridiculous as doing so would produce the opposite of the intended result.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You said that SWA pilot's routinely speed up at touchdown to reach the gate quicker. That's ridiculous as doing so would produce the opposite of the intended result.
agree here. I think there are a couple misunderstandings being propagated here.

There is no speed up just before landing. They may more likely maintain more speed on the roll out. This is to have a high speed taxi down the runway instead of a slow roll on an adjoining taxiway. Ok to do so long as you don't disrupt the next operation on the runway. They're just trying to reduce the time from touchdown to gate. All part of the SW goal to minimize ground time. Other times you might feel they're slamming on the brakes to make the first reasonable exit so they minimize backtracking to the gate.

Second, every airline has company guidelines for go/no-go on the landing. I've always heard it as an altitude AGL (above ground level) therefore being commonly being called the "Decision Altitude". This means the approach has to be stabilized at the decision altitude. I don't know the specifics on what constitutes stabilization. Not a pilot. In general, I believe, for the layman you can assume it means a controlled descent and energy is stable. Speeding up right before landing does not fit into this concept and I'm pretty sure a certain regulator would not approve this as a standard procedure. Aircraft carrier pilots make see things differently.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:59 pm

You are confusing terms. Decision altitude (DA) is part of a precision instrument approach such as an ILS. What you are talking about is stabilized approach criteria.

The crew on the Burkbank flight violated stabilized approach criteria due to poor handling from the approach controller. When they violated stabilized approach criteria they were required to initiate a go-around, which they did not.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Very surprised that qantas is not in there.
Might have to do with the engine falling off the A380 last year ??
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Might have to do with the engine falling off the A380 last year ??
Or the 744 on the 18th fairway.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You are confusing terms. Decision altitude (DA) is part of a precision instrument approach such as an ILS. What you are talking about is stabilized approach criteria.

The crew on the Burkbank flight violated stabilized approach criteria due to poor handling from the approach controller. When they violated stabilized approach criteria they were required to initiate a go-around, which they did not.
Thanks for the clarification and corrections. I was trying to convey what you state succinctly. That being they continued an approach that should have been aborted.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Stabilised Approach criteria are as follows with the lot I used to fly a 757 for, but generally speaking they're more or less the same for most airlines.

Aircraft must be stable at 1000ft AGL. This means:

Speed within 5 knots of Vref (landing speed)
Gear Down
Landing flaps set
Engine power set and stabilised
On Glideslope and Localiser (or on glidepath for a visual approach)

At most busy airports we'd usually be instructed by ATC to maintain "160 (kts) to 5 (miles final)". That would mean you'd be going down the ILS with engines in flight idle, Flaps 20 set, until you reach an altitude of around 1500ft AGL. This leaves you with roughly 500ft of altitude and 1.5 milesof distance to configure the aircraft for landing. To achieve that you'd have to be very much on the ball. Still, works like a charm in the vast majority of cases.

Once you've met stabilised approach criteria you can continue below 1000ft towards Decision Altitude, which is as low as 50ft for a Cat IIIb (autoland) approach.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 4Health
15.26M flights without a fatal accident for Southwest
WN has had at least one fatality - the one at Midway (which is I assume the 2nd photo in this thread)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
That being they continued an approach that should have been aborted.
They were setup by ATC. The controller really threw them under the bus--but they failed to scramble out from under it before it ran them over.

Originally Posted by pinniped
WN has had at least one fatality - the one at Midway (which is I assume the 2nd photo in this thread)
While the child did tragically die as a result of that accident, he wasn't a passenger or crewmember on the flight so it doesn't count in this context. Same as the far too frequent accident when a ramp worker has been killed by walking into a spinning propeller.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
While the child did tragically die as a result of that accident, he wasn't a passenger or crewmember on the flight so it doesn't count in this context. Same as the far too frequent accident when a ramp worker has been killed by walking into a spinning propeller.
I don't see why you wouldn't count people killed on the ground as a result of a crash in this context.

To me that's different from an on-the-job accident...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't see why you wouldn't count people killed on the ground as a result of a crash in this context.

To me that's different from an on-the-job accident...
I think on ground deaths are counted.. and in news context

I remember some articals specifically stating X number of civilian deaths on ground..
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Not to go back and forth on these posts but my comment was stated in general and is the perception by the industry in transportation modeling. I apologize for the confusion. What actually caused the accident is something different which you are bringing up but admittedly, excessive speed of the plane is a contributing factor in the accident.

Last edited by tonywestsider; Sep 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.