Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Extra Baggage on a codeshared BA/Qantas flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I will leave for Australia and I want to take my bicycle (in a box) as an extra piece of luggage.

Done this before with BA (40pounds one way for 23kgs, bargain) with no problems at all.

Now I want to book my flight to Perth but the last part of the flight (Singapore - Perth) is a codeshared flight with Qantas (very expensive on extra baggage).

The itinerary states Singapore-Perth BA 71xxx but is operated by Qantas A5xxx.

Do you think they will charge me the hefty extra baggage fee in Singapore do you think? Also this might be a problem for the return flight I guess.

I'm staying for 6 months so travelling light is not an option as I will need my racebike for triathlon training...

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:38 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
is the hefty charge more than the cost & hassle of shipping it?....how much is hefty?....you should be able to check thru to perth, so theres a chance that ba wont collect anything.....perhaps you could search the ba & qf forums for more info....good luck...

ps....all flights are ba #s?....also, give ba a call...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:32 pm
In Memoriam

check the cost of a bike in oz....
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You might also check the cost of shipping the bike as freight or by some other means, DHL, FEDEx, etc. Might be cheaper than excess baggage fees.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
You might also check the cost of shipping the bike as freight or by some other means, DHL, FEDEx, etc. Might be cheaper than excess baggage fees.
indeed, and providing the declared value of the bike is AUD$999 or less, there will be no duty payable...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:09 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by StefanBelgium
I...Do you think they will charge me the hefty extra baggage fee in Singapore do you think? Also this might be a problem for the return flight I guess. ...
Unfortunately BA does not extend the BA baggage prices to codeshare flights. If you have a transit in SIN, then no additional charge by QF, but if you have a stopover at SIN then QF checkin will charge you the QF fee for a bicycle, which is quite expensive compared to BA (about GBP 200 for 15kg, for example). For the return trip you'll have to pay QF and also meet QF's stricter bicycle packaging requirements.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Unfortunately BA does not extend the BA baggage prices to codeshare flights. If you have a transit in SIN, then no additional charge by QF, but if you have a stopover at SIN then QF checkin will charge you the QF fee for a bicycle, which is quite expensive compared to BA (about GBP 200 for 15kg, for example). For the return trip you'll have to pay QF and also meet QF's stricter bicycle packaging requirements.
Do you have any idea how I can find out if the flight I want to book is 'transit' or a 'stopover' ?

The packing is not a problem as I'm using a hardcase box.

I might lookout for Emirates flights from Paris (they have 30kg) and I could pack some of my stuff in an additional "golf bag" (15kgs extra)
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
indeed, and providing the declared value of the bike is AUD$999 or less, there will be no duty payable...
If I'm sure I will get the back in the country without paying extra I might consider sending it back as freight.
Anyone any idea what might be the cheapest option? (Perth-Brussels)
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
is the hefty charge more than the cost & hassle of shipping it?....how much is hefty?....you should be able to check thru to perth, so theres a chance that ba wont collect anything.....perhaps you could search the ba & qf forums for more info....good luck...

ps....all flights are ba #s?....also, give ba a call...

BA charge per extra piece of luggage (fair deal imo).
QF charges /kg so a full on bike box will be 400AUD just to get it in Singapore.

What do you mean "you should be able to check thru to perth" ?

I checked with BA, it's clearly stated on their website that on codeshared flights operated by eg. QF you can get charged extra for extra luggage according to their terms & conditions.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:16 am
In Memoriam

Do you have any idea how I can find out if the flight I want to book is 'transit' or a 'stopover' ?

The packing is not a problem as I'm using a hardcase box.

I might lookout for Emirates flights from Paris (they have 30kg) and I could pack some of my stuff in an additional "golf bag" (15kgs extra)
stopover is spending some time there, like a day or more.....connecting is catching the next flight....rules vary, but 4 hrs or so is ok and longer times can also qualify...should be no sweat if its the next flight to perth....

what is your arr & dep times there....

re shipping....one of the posts above mentioned a few options....look at their web sites & you should be able to get the price w/ dimensions & weight...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
BA charge per extra piece of luggage (fair deal imo).
BA has a rather quaint excess baggage fee structure -- F pays GBP 90 for an extra bag, while discounted Y pays GBP40. Even full Y pays double, so it is a bargain for discount Y. I guess most of the time it is less than other airlines, like QF, so everyone benefits, but charging double for F vs. Y for that extra bag is a different kind of fair
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Anyone has any experience checking in with BA with extra luggage when you have a codeshared flight after your BA flight?

I will travel as previously stated with BA from Brussels - LHR - SINGAPORE. The 3rd leg will be Qantas.
BA 's policy is charge for an extra piece which is very convenient & cheap (40pounds - ish). Qantas however is /kg so would be very expensive for the extra bag.

Will I have to pay the Qantas fee for the last leg of my trip when I check in with BA in Brussels/LHR?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Anyone has any experience checking in with BA with extra luggage when you have a codeshared flight after your BA flight?

I will travel as previously stated with BA from Brussels - LHR - SINGAPORE. The 3rd leg will be Qantas.
BA 's policy is charge for an extra piece which is very convenient & cheap (40pounds - ish). Qantas however is /kg so would be very expensive for the extra bag.

Will I have to pay the Qantas fee for the last leg of my trip when I check in with BA in Brussels/LHR?

Thanks for your help!

Is this on a single ticket? If it is and you are going straight to Singapore (no stopover in London) then everything should be interlined to Singapore. You should not have to collect bags in London.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
BRU-LHR-SIN has only two legs. Not sure what the reference to third leg is, but if you are catching a connection at SIN on to Australia on QF, then as MoreMilesPlease notes, in practice your bag will be interlined and you will just pay the one fee at BRU.

This is also the official rule per IATA Resolution 302. Although QF does not honour this resolution, as you won't be checking your bag with them they won't ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.