Search

Convertible rental for under 25's - West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:52 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Convertible rental for under 25's - West Coast

Not sure if this is the right forum for this - though as it's not one company specific didn't know where else to put it!

I'm looking for a convertible (preferably Mustang) for Oct 10 - 22, with unlimited mileage and full insurance, for a driver under 25 (23). Ideally I'd like to pay under $800, and pick up and drop off the car from/to LAX. However, I'm happy to pick up from any city close to the West Coast, and return to LAX.

So far the cheapest I've found is Alamo LAS for $700 plus a $25/day surcharge for under $25, bringing the total to $1000.

Anyone have any tips?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:01 pm

Hertz Coupon PC 144314 waives the taxable underage fee. Check the convertible price with them at LAX, and from their neighborhood stores nearby.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:10 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Thanks Auto Enthusiast! So far all the rates I've looked at have been over $1000
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wijomas
Thanks Auto Enthusiast! So far all the rates I've looked at have been over $1000
I rented a convertible when I was under 25 many times..

Why don't you try SFO?..

You're young.. jump in and drive the I5 and hit a Holiday Inn on your way up to LAX.. That's what I did.. LAX is plain old super expensive no matter what age..

Also try www.autoslash.com.. if you have to LAX.. my recent van rentals for 11 nights were all $1,150 and up.. www.autoslash.com cut it down to $682 all in..
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:48 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Sure, SFO is fine. I did try that too, but it seems the retail rates are just excessive when you factor in the young driver surcharge.

I tried AutoSlash earlier but will give it another shot with some more cities as it seems people do have quite a bit of success with it. So far my $700 + $25 a day surcharge from Alamo LAS is still the cheapest option, but have seen similar (few bucks more) from TUS as well.

The LAS rate included full insurance and excess reduction too.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Sure, SFO is fine. I did try that too, but it seems the retail rates are just excessive when you factor in the young driver surcharge.

I tried AutoSlash earlier but will give it another shot with some more cities as it seems people do have quite a bit of success with it. So far my $700 + $25 a day surcharge from Alamo LAS is still the cheapest option, but have seen similar (few bucks more) from TUS as well.

The LAS rate included full insurance and excess reduction too.
You can try www.priceline.com as well.. if you don't mind prepaying.. I've never rented there.. but sounds like the people on this forum have.. www.travelocity.com..

Before all these websites.. I booked with Entertainment rate plus one of the attached coupons.. nowadays, you can use AAA.. but Auto Slash combines all of the available coupons anyway.. so you'll know definitely what the cheapest rates amongst the companies involved with Auto Slash.. and the reservation is cancellable as well..

I would make a reservation at the 4 airports you mentioned.. and see what comes up.. and cancel everything once you decide which airport you want to fly into based on the rental reservation.. another option suggested is getting an offsite rental vehicle company.. if you have access to such transportation.. i.e. hotel shuttle to the hotel you're staying at.. walking distance to rental vehicle place..
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:04 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Yeah. I might do that - make cancelable reservations and once dates and airports are confirmed, try to see if I can get a better deal through priceline or hotwire. Thanks ^
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:10 am
Suspended

Yeah. I might do that - make cancelable reservations and once dates and airports are confirmed, try to see if I can get a better deal through priceline or hotwire. Thanks ^
Doesn't hurt to use Auto Slash.. it does the shopping for you.. and certainly helped me to get a rental at an unbelievable rate without having to pre pay or anything.. I needed a mini-van for the comfort of my family.. and the fact my wife is pack happy.. bringing everything and the kitchen sink..

Plus.. if you aren't happy.. and can find a better price.. push the cancel button and you're on your way

sigh.. how the memories of the good old days when I whisked around California in a convertible.. you are living my fondest memories, or driving top down, hair flowing through the air.. in my early 20's..^
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:14 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
sigh.. how the memories of the good old days when I whisked around California in a convertible.. you are living my fondest memories, or driving top down, hair flowing through the air.. in my early 20's..^
I'll call it my "quarter-life crisis".

Actually, after the obligatory trip along the coast I'll likely head towards the Midwest. After flying in to all the big cities that us Kiwis usually head to hundreds of times they're getting pretty boring. Time for something a bit more relaxed.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:28 am
Suspended

I'll call it my "quarter-life crisis".

Actually, after the obligatory trip along the coast I'll likely head towards the Midwest. After flying in to all the big cities that us Kiwis usually head to hundreds of times they're getting pretty boring. Time for something a bit more relaxed.
I noticed that you're from New Zealand.. I was just discussing with my wife where we want to visit on a potential rtw.. and New Zealand crossed our minds..

We haven't been to Vegas.. but certainly stop there on your way to the midwest.. I was golfing with a guy who said that some Vegas hotels sell all day buffet passes for a cheap rate for breakfast, lunch and dinner..

Grand Canyon would be a nice stop too.. Are you planning to board a plane to visit the midwest? or just drive there round trip?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:43 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

I noticed that you're from New Zealand.. I was just discussing with my wife where we want to visit on a potential rtw.. and New Zealand crossed our minds..

We haven't been to Vegas.. but certainly stop there on your way to the midwest.. I was golfing with a guy who said that some Vegas hotels sell all day buffet passes for a cheap rate for breakfast, lunch and dinner..

Grand Canyon would be a nice stop too.. Are you planning to board a plane to visit the midwest? or just drive there round trip?
Drive.

Yeah, Vegas is good like that for cheap stuff. I don't really have a totally fixed time-frame as I can work from pretty much anywhere, but I don't have unlimited time. So there will only be so many places we (a friend of mine is coming too) can stop, sadly.

If you're heading down here, PM/email me. Always up for meeting FTers. ^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:15 am
Suspended

Drive.

Yeah, Vegas is good like that for cheap stuff. I don't really have a totally fixed time-frame as I can work from pretty much anywhere, but I don't have unlimited time. So there will only be so many places we (a friend of mine is coming too) can stop, sadly.

If you're heading down here, PM/email me. Always up for meeting FTers. ^
Maybe next year around spring break.. currently we have a direct in and out of the Hawaiian Islands..

Why not just stop in LAS before heading out.. I would love to check out the hoopla in the middle of the desert..
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:54 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Why not just stop in LAS before heading out.. I would love to check out the hoopla in the middle of the desert..
Absolutely... will be there for a couple of days around Oct 10/11 if you feel like headin' south.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:21 am
Suspended

Absolutely... will be there for a couple of days around Oct 10/11 if you feel like headin' south.
Would absolutely be stoked.. but my 5 year old is in school..

and we're relegated to vacationing during the breaks.. because my son is attending the top private school in Alberta, Canada..

plus Thanksgiving is going to be spent here locally..

Enjoy Vegas.. How is the car rental going? Do you have the Auto Slash res's going yet?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:50 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

I forgot that Canada has Thanksgiving in October. And then over the border it's Columbus Day. I'm pretty sure there is at least one holiday for every day of the year somewhere in North America.

Found a good price with one of the the Virgin Atlantic Alamo deal - thanks to Mrp Alert

Could've gone to TUS and got the car from Oct 10-22 for $760 all in, including the underage surcharge, CDW, and return to LAX, but ended up with getting it for $970 for Oct 8-22 from LAX. If you remove the underage surcharge and LDW it works out to a base rate of about $30 a day for a convertible, so not too bad at all. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.