Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are some reasons passengers are stranded on the tarmac for several hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

you read on the news some plane and its passengers are trapped on the tarmac with no air conditioning and running out of water and babies crying etc...

what are some reasons that might happen? is there nothing to be done about it?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
When planes are stuck on the tarmac, it usually boils down to one of two situations:
1. The plane is waiting to take off.
2. The plane wants to get to a gate but no gate spaces are available.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
...and the airline doesn't want to use air stairs for fear that a disabled person will sue claiming discrimination.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
One reason is that if the airplane returns to the gate, it loses its place in line. When there are things like thunderstorms around, there may be only brief periods of time in which a few airplanes can take off. Everyone else waits in line.

If you are #4 in line, you don't want to give up your spot, only to come back to the end of the line and be #40. Thus, you stay on the tarmac and hope the weather clears up so they can start moving aircraft out.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Stranded on the tarmac for an hour and twenty minutes.. and caused the entire family stress to make the connection HOU terminal E having landed in terminal A today..

The reason.. they removed a computer.. so IT was doing something.. and caused the delay.. at least that's what they announced..

Made the connection, but we were all hungry with only snack boxed on the Continental flight.. ugh!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
An hour twenty is par for the course these days. My record is six hours at AMS. Storms, then mechanical. The US-bound crowd was getting a wee bit antsy... we finally cancelled.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
One reason is that if the airplane returns to the gate, it loses its place in line. When there are things like thunderstorms around, there may be only brief periods of time in which a few airplanes can take off. Everyone else waits in line.

If you are #4 in line, you don't want to give up your spot, only to come back to the end of the line and be #40. Thus, you stay on the tarmac and hope the weather clears up so they can start moving aircraft out.
Also, getting back to the gate and deplaning before having to board everyone again at some unknown time in the future would add more problems and increase the delay further.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
An hour twenty is par for the course these days. My record is six hours at AMS. Storms, then mechanical. The US-bound crowd was getting a wee bit antsy... we finally cancelled.
I agree it wasn't too bad..

It was clear weather.. and when the Jazz flight started leaving the gate, it was pouring cats and dogs.. but we took off anyways..

I just didn't know how I was going to deal with a connection missed in HOU.. hour twenty wasn't all too bad..
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:40 am
Suspended

Usually a combination of terrible things all happening at once.

A foreign flight to a smaller airport, very late, but union regulations have the customs agents off the clock at that hour and the place is not a big international with 24 hour customs shifts..so by law nobody can really set foot in the country, and the airport itself doesn't have a fully secure airside..and the plane lost it's gate by being late and the place has no airstairs..etc etc etc.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got stuck for something like 5 hours at DFW during a freak snowstorm. When we boarded it was raining lightly which turned to heavy rain, freezing rain, then snow. DFW was overwhelmed with planes needing to be deiced so when we pushed back we were #41 for that. Most planes went back to the gate swamping those and so we sat and sat and sat. Eventually we left and I was happy our pilot chose to go on as most flights were canceled and I'm sure I would have been stuck there quite a while.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
I got stuck for something like 5 hours at DFW during a freak snowstorm. When we boarded it was raining lightly which turned to heavy rain, freezing rain, then snow. DFW was overwhelmed with planes needing to be deiced so when we pushed back we were #41 for that. Most planes went back to the gate swamping those and so we sat and sat and sat. Eventually we left and I was happy our pilot chose to go on as most flights were canceled and I'm sure I would have been stuck there quite a while.
I agree..

I like the pilots and staff who make smart decisions that save us all time..
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
And that's the thing, they can't win. 1/2 the people will be outrageously outraged at the 5 hr wait. The other 1/2 will be outrageously outraged if the flight is cancelled.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
And that's the thing, they can't win. 1/2 the people will be outrageously outraged at the 5 hr wait. The other 1/2 will be outrageously outraged if the flight is cancelled.
I'd be outraged if I got stuck in Y for 5 hours on the tarmac.
I expect the airline to cancel the flight and put me in a hotel actually.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kkjay77
I'd be outraged if I got stuck in Y for 5 hours on the tarmac.
I expect the airline to cancel the flight and put me in a hotel actually.
Well I was on that plane in Y and I would not have wanted to be stuck in a DFW hotel, especially as I had an important meeting the next morning. I was really happy we left while thousands of people did not. Especially as when we pushed back it was 11:30 AM so being put into a hotel at 2:30 or even 4:30 wouldn't have made any sense.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing that I think could help:

Prohibit boarding flights when the backlog of planes waiting to take off is too long. Maintain a queue anyway so things are handled fairly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.