FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   favorite dumb pax comments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1232132-favorite-dumb-pax-comments.html)

jennj99738 Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Trapezeus (Post 16757374)
i was on three crappy delta flights. With mistakes that were just irritating and no longer worth the fare. i never proclaimed, "i'm never flying them again." but i did say that to myself. and i haven't flown them for 10 years. Delta truly sucks at everything they attempt to do. if you have status, then you have it a little better. but they really have zero interest in you and your convenience.

I am always amazed at the FT community that gives delta a pass.

Because, if someone flies enough, he/she will realize that this could or even will happen on any airline. It's not that people give Delta a pass. They realize that given their situation, DL is still the best choice for them. You'll hear FTers badmouth every airline and then you'll have apologists for every airline but I rarely if ever hear even from the most stringent apologist that any airline is perfect.

I hate WN with a passion and not because of any specific event or problem but because of the way they do business, i.e., open seating, that other pax absolutely love. But I will never say I won't fly them because I will have to at some point and I will hate it again. Rinse and repeat!

Not that any of this really has to do with the topic...

edj3 Jul 19, 2011 3:26 pm

+1

That's my take exactly . . . even including why you prefer to never fly WN while acknowledging it may happen :-)

jhayden Jul 19, 2011 3:59 pm

2 Stories

1) I was LAX-FLL in a Y filled with crazies: police came on and interrogated a pax b4 pushing back (he got to stay) and an elderly spanish speaking woman insisting to see the captain after some coffee spilled on her during turbulence (FA declared her an unruly pax and almost landed in PHX)

BUT a few rows up was some 40something guy with hair just enuf askew to look like he needs meds. He kept turning around every few mins, eyes wide open, then turning back around. I'm keeping my eye on him the rest of the trip. We're deplaning and at the end of the jetway he's arguing with the GA that he needs to go back, he left something on the plane. Turns out the 'something' was HIS CHILDREN!!!!!

2) I'm in security at FLL, the line is about 10min long. I'm next in line and some guy with wife and 3 kids (strollers!!!!) comes up and pushes to the front and says: "We have a plane to catch."

Because the rest of us are there for the Terminal 2 Cinnabon.

Best part: he gets "randomly selected for additional screening" as the people he cut pass right by. I'd like to say I didn't snicker, but I am not that strong of a person;)

Chatterbocks Jul 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by nelsoninbangkok (Post 16748032)
This is no joke but heard on two of my Pacific flights in the past year:

1. Two American girls who had just vacationed in Sydney. "I was going to buy all my friends a calendar with Australian animals but realized that Australia is a day a head of us. Had to take them all back and buy magnets instead."

2. An American passenger to the Aussie flight attendent. "Can you see the date line when we cross over? Does the captain make an announcement? I don't want to miss it."

All true.

thats gold if true however both comments suspiciously like a couple of 'blonde' jokes I have heard in the past.... ;)

jamesteroh Jul 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by jennj99738 (Post 16758567)
I hate WN with a passion and not because of any specific event or problem but because of the way they do business, i.e., open seating, that other pax absolutely love. But I will never say I won't fly them because I will have to at some point and I will hate it again. Rinse and repeat!.

^ A few friends and I did a weekend trip in Vegas this weekend and we were talking about a few of our past trips and I mentioned how awful WN was with IRROPs and that I couldn't believe they had fewer complaints than Delta and my friends made a great point. The reason they have so few complaints, is that WN offers NOTHING to complain about. They don't offer international service, so no complaints there.

They don't offer upgrades, so people can't complain about that. They offer no food service, so people can't complain about that. No IFE, so they can't complain their IFE system didn't work.

They don't interline baggage, so again no complaints there.

If you took away all the complaints against Delta and other mainlines for services WN didn't offer, they wouldn't have nearly the complaints.

And even though WN has been considerably more than Delta on the flights I checked lately (enough that the kettles could pay $25 each way to check a bag and still save $), with their ads for no bag fees, they have the kettles convinced they are a great value.

tentseller Jul 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by jhayden (Post 16758896)

2) I'm in security at FLL, the line is about 10min long. I'm next in line and some guy with wife and 3 kids (strollers!!!!) comes up and pushes to the front and says: "We have a plane to catch."

Because the rest of us are there for the Terminal 2 Cinnabon.

Best part: he gets "randomly selected for additional screening" as the people he cut pass right by. I'd like to say I didn't snicker, but I am not that strong of a person;)

That's Karma for you, his rudeness was like waving a red flag in from of TSA.

CMK10 Jul 20, 2011 11:21 am

A few years ago I was flying a PHX-ORD flight and the woman next to me kept muttering "this is the longest flight EVER". I think it clocked in as under 3 hours...what a whiner!

Ancien Maestro Jul 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 16763969)
A few years ago I was flying a PHX-ORD flight and the woman next to me kept muttering "this is the longest flight EVER". I think it clocked in as under 3 hours...what a whiner!

Funny.. sometimes I think my shorthaul flights are longer than my long haul flights..

When entering into a 5 or 6 hour flight.. mentally I've prepared myself for it.. but a flight to YVR from YYC.. if I'm not prepared for it.. I'll say to myself, I can't wait to get off the plane..

follonica2 Jul 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16764422)
Funny.. sometimes I think my shorthaul flights are longer than my long haul flights..

When entering into a 5 or 6 hour flight.. mentally I've prepared myself for it.. but a flight to YVR from YYC.. if I'm not prepared for it.. I'll say to myself, I can't wait to get off the plane..

I thought I was the only one like that. IAD/FCO, not a problem. BWI/ORD: (silently) "Cripes, are we there yet?" accompanied by internal wordless whining.:D

Ancien Maestro Jul 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by follonica2 (Post 16764519)
I thought I was the only one like that. IAD/FCO, not a problem. BWI/ORD: (silently) "Cripes, are we there yet?" accompanied by internal wordless whining.:D

Funny.. I can't stand to do some of the simplest things.. like waiting around for my wife to get ready..

but sit down and watch a hockey game for 3 hours.. or take 7 hours to golf, and relax.. no problems.:D

Its the mental preparedness going into the flight.. One can be completely stressed or completely relaxed..:)

burgler09 Jul 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity (Post 16734814)
LOL..... me exactly! Was at Hertz and they gave me a Prius (ugh is right). I had NEVER driven an electric car and know absolutely nothing about them. Got in, put my foot on the brake and started the car. Didn't hear anything. Took the key out of the ignition, put it back in, started the car again, still didn't hear anything.
Finally I roll down the window and ask:

Excuse me...... is there something wrong with this car?

No, ma'am, it's a Prius.

OK, but it won't start.

Just put your foot on the break and turn the key.

I did. Nothing happened.

It's electric.

OK.......this car does have an engine right? I don't HEAR anything.

Ma'am, it's electric..........

Still doesn't answer my question, does this car have an engine?

Just then a manager walked up and I told him my problem. He chuckled and said, you won't hear anything because it is running on the battery, you won't hear anything till you go faster than 35 mph....... I looked at him, put my head on the steering wheel and burst out laughing..... we all laughed and damn, I felt like such a Kettle...... LOL LOL LOL

and here I thought only a kettle would let hertz give them a prius :D

emma69 Jul 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16764552)
Funny.. I can't stand to do some of the simplest things.. like waiting around for my wife to get ready..

but sit down and watch a hockey game for 3 hours.. or take 7 hours to golf, and relax.. no problems.:D

Its the mental preparedness going into the flight.. One can be completely stressed or completely relaxed..:)

It always annoys me that YYZ to LAX / SFO is as long as it is - it's domestic (well, we arrive at a domestic part of the airport!) so it shouldn't be close to Transatlantic timewise (in my head).

Ancien Maestro Jul 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 16765748)
It always annoys me that YYZ to LAX / SFO is as long as it is - it's domestic (well, we arrive at a domestic part of the airport!) so it shouldn't be close to Transatlantic timewise (in my head).

Another factor may be is flying over water could be more relaxing than flying over land..

It has a different feel to it.. I know flying is flying.. but when there is clear blue water and sky.. it does change the mindset..

I usually get ansy YYC-YYZ.. than I do YYC-HOU.. which is longer.. Perhaps destination in the mind has something to do with it too.

ILovetheReds Jul 20, 2011 8:04 pm

This isn't necessarily the dumbest comment I have heard, but is the rudest statement. I have been flying a lot for work lately including international.

Last month I did a short trip to MUN and was only home for two days and then had to fly MSP-MAD with a 3 hour layover at ATL. I got upgraded for the MSP-ATL domestic portion of the flight and there was decent sized upgrade list. There were four uniformed military on our flight.

I boarded with first and the servicemen all seated in Y came on the plane shortly after, so the GA must have allowed them to board before zone 1. One of the last people to board had the nerve to complain to her friend very loudly that all the servicemen were seated in coach and that Delta should have upgraded them before the Medallionsafter the way they treated them earlier this summer for charging them to check luggage. Her friend replied that if Delta wouldn't have to if the people sitting in first class wouldn't be selfish and offer their seat to them.

They were both talking very loud and it was obvious they wanted F passengers to hear them. I have no problems with the military getting upgraded after all medallions have cleared if there are seats available. In fact if it was wasn't for the fact I had been flying so much and had a long flight ahead of me in Y after a 3 hour ATL layover, I wouldn't have had a problem offering my seat to one of them. Delta did seat two of them in the bulkhead and the other two a couple rows back, leaving the middle seat open in both rows.

planemechanic Jul 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds (Post 16767212)
This isn't necessarily the dumbest comment I have heard, but is the rudest statement. I have been flying a lot for work lately including international.

Last month I did a short trip to MUN and was only home for two days and then had to fly MSP-MAD with a 3 hour layover at ATL. I got upgraded for the MSP-ATL domestic portion of the flight and there was decent sized upgrade list. There were four uniformed military on our flight.

I boarded with first and the servicemen all seated in Y came on the plane shortly after, so the GA must have allowed them to board before zone 1. One of the last people to board had the nerve to complain to her friend very loudly that all the servicemen were seated in coach and that Delta should have upgraded them before the Medallionsafter the way they treated them earlier this summer for charging them to check luggage. Her friend replied that if Delta wouldn't have to if the people sitting in first class wouldn't be selfish and offer their seat to them.

They were both talking very loud and it was obvious they wanted F passengers to hear them. I have no problems with the military getting upgraded after all medallions have cleared if there are seats available. In fact if it was wasn't for the fact I had been flying so much and had a long flight ahead of me in Y after a 3 hour ATL layover, I wouldn't have had a problem offering my seat to one of them. Delta did seat two of them in the bulkhead and the other two a couple rows back, leaving the middle seat open in both rows.

The best thing we can do for our military men and women is to bring them home. They can handle sitting in coach.