Reload this Page >

It's a small world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's a small world

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:07 pm

My wife has a great story -- she was backpacking around Australia and staying in this tiny youth hostel in the middle of nowhere. She got chatting to this guy, and as always, she said she was from northern England. Turned out he was English too -- and knew the area she was from -- and knew her town... and eventually the last line was "Oh, so it was YOU who broke our garage door at my sister's 18th birthday party!"
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

running into people from the past while flying, as a non-frequent flyer (especially on FT) im thinking of one offhand, might be a couple others im forgetting
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
When my Mom was a child (post-WW2), her family lived in Tangier. When a military ship would come into port, they'd go down to the docks for entertainment, and sometimes there would be bus tours that soldiers and the Americans expats could take.

So my Mom, who must have been 12 or 13, is on a bus tour with a friend & a bunch of servicemen. The guy sitting behind her mentions that he's from Long Island. She says she's originally from Long Island. He mentions his hometown, she says, "That's my hometown." She asks his name, turns out its a cousin she'd either met or didn't recognize because she'd lived in Morocco for much of her childhood.

(50 years later, my Mom randomly met that cousin's daughter for the first time while they were both riding bikes on the Mall in DC.)
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
-Ran into a school friend I hadn't seen in over 4 years on the Metro in Paris.

-Changed an LAX-ATL flight day of (SDC) since my aunt was going to be on the same flight and we could carpool to LAX/from ATL. Ended up with an aisle seat in the center section of a 767 with my aunt (PM before DM came out) in the other aisle seat. The middle seat ended up being another school friend I hadn't seen in over 4 years on his way to BWI.

-Ran into another old friend I hadn't seen in 2 years at AMS airport, while on an international MR. Yeah, that was a fun one to explain ...

-Ran into neighbors at HKG airport on our going leg/their return leg. Asked them if they could make sure our Christmas lights turned on properly while we were away.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA
Walking around under the Eiffel Tower and I run into some family friends.
While on my way to watch the end of the Tour de France, run into an Australian I had previously met in my dorm in Caen.
Saw someone playing street hockey in a park with a Houston Aeros jersey on. (You don't even seen people with Aero's jersey on outside an actual game in Houston)
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
At Pisa a few years back, I was taking a picture of the leaning tower when I heard in perfect english, "Would you like me to take a picture of you with the tower in the back ground?" Without turning around as figuring it was a scam, I politely said, "no thank you" when I heard, "goalie, I'd like to take your picture" . So I turned around to find a client of mine from a branch office of a bank I managed in SF (and to matters even better they were staying at the same hotel I was in Florence )
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
In Prague with my wife, waiting for a table for dinner. My wife owns a retail store and runs into one of here customers. We have dinner together, ends up they are staying at the same Hilton as us just down the hall and we end up sitting across the aisle from them in BE on the flight home, share the same parking lot shuttle to the same Park and Fly lot.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:34 am

Saw a few guys I went to high school on the streets while driving through the French Quarter in New Orleans back in October. Didn't stop to engage them in conversation because:

1. They were d-bags in HS, and they're probably even bigger d-bags when hammered. Didn't care to talk to them then, didn't care to talk to them now.
2. I was listening to the final outs of Game 7 of the World Series on the radio, and listening to the Cardinals win the WS is more important than talking to some morons I knew from HS.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:34 am

Traveling from Mumbai to Myanmar I ran into two old friends from Wyoming(long-time guests in my restaurant), trawling the duty free at BKK. What makes it stranger is the they were also going to Myanmar and connecting in RGN to Bagan where I was headed - and we were staying in two hotels right next to each other.
I've also run into another pair of friends from Wyoming(also long-time guests in my restaurant) twice on trains in Italy and France, several years apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.