Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What exactly are my rights if travel is delayed due to ash clouds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Question What exactly are my rights if travel is delayed due to ash clouds

So, I understand (from all the travel insurance information here in NZ) that if you took out your travel insurance after 12 June, then disruptions due to ash clouds from Chile are not covered as this is no longer considered an unexpected event.

My question is, if you booked well before the volcano started erupting,and paid your money - or you are booking now for flights later in the year, what happens if the volcano is still causing issues?

How long is this exclusion for? No-one knows how long to anticipate the eruptions to continue for. For that matter - what if another volcano starts to erupt - is this also excluded?

I expect the airlines will re-book your flights etc. but if you loose accomodation deposits and all that sort of thing, where do you stand?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Could it be weather related.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Well, i guess in part it is. The whole southern hemisphere seems to be effected by ash coming around the world from chile. The ash cloud took 7 days to arrive in New Zealand after the volcano first started erupting, and flowed around the upper atmosphere all around the globe. it went over Australia before it got to NZ, but lots of flights domestically in aus and Nz have been effected, and many trans-tasman flights cancelled. It is an ongoing issue, depending on how low the ash cloud hovers above and whether the flights can fly under it. The volcano is still erupting, and they say it could potentially keep going for a couple of months.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Welcome to FT!

Call and ask your airline what will happen..

They may not compensate you.. but they should rebook you to where you're going.. maybe.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Welcome to FT!

Call and ask your airline what will happen..

They may not compensate you.. but they should rebook you to where you're going.. maybe.
Well, we fly AKL-SYD-DXB next Monday. Hoping the ash cloud is well on its second circuit of the world by then! We booked 6 months ago.

Last year, our flights were disrupted by the Iceland volcano. Maybe we should stay at home and the volcanoes would remain dormant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.