Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle this...woman in my seat!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Why?

If you don't mind switching and they ask politely, why contest it? Just switch and be done.
I would contest someone who showed no evidence of moving, acting as though it were "my problem" - the woman in my example above thought "it got messed up" was all the discussion needed. I could have understood had the airline moved my seat between online checkin and boarding, but that wasn't the case here at all.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Flew BCN-TLV a few days ago on JK... this ia a flight with TONS of infrequent fliers. I made sure to book the exit row as it has tons of legroom (seat A on an A321, with a FA seat opposite me). There was a tour group travelling back to Israel after their visit to BCN. A couple of people sitting next to me in exit row had friends over for about an hour after the seatbelt sign was turned off. I went to the bathroom and came back... one of these friends (who was sitting in the FA jumpseat before this) took my seat. He started trying to convince me that I should take his seat in the row behind. As luck would have it, I do not speak French or Hebrew like he did. I offered to move for 50€, he declined and I finally got him out of my seat. . Hey, for 50€ I would have sat for 3 hrs in a regular Y seat .
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by localady
Or she has been having a miserable life..
Or she makes her life miserable all by herself.
Originally Posted by zrs70
Something isn't right about this post. Check out the other recent posts by the op.
I was thinking the same thing. The OP claims passive non-resistance here, but throws a receipt in a car rental attendant's face in another post. Inconsistent, at the least.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Or she makes her life miserable all by herself.

I was thinking the same thing. The OP claims passive non-resistance here, but throws a receipt in a car rental attendant's face in another post. Inconsistent, at the least.
+1, I think the OP is just trolling. It doesn't look like he comes back to the threads he creates to post followups or answer questions either.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL KM
+1 Something wrong on every flight. I don't see the bridge, but the troll is alive and well.

Originally Posted by zrs70
Something isn't right about this post. Check out the other recent posts by the op.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I don't believe I have ever been rude to the OP. It was a nice frosty beverage, however!

At first I wasnt going to bother responding, but then thought hang on it doesnt add up.

Troll definately, at least he's given us some interesting threads. I would still like him to return and start a few more. Theyve been fun reads.

edit: And now Ive just read the last few posts here its obvious Im not the only one to come to that conclusion. lol.

Last edited by milan luka; Jun 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm Reason: more info
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by celle
Yes. I learned this the hard way:
Situation 1: - 2 people sitting in DH's and my seats. No FAs in sight. We asked this couple to show their boarding passes, which showed they should be in H & J in the same row, not in D & E, our seats. I don't think this couple had flown before, because they insisted they were in the correct seats, being in the row shown on their boarding passes. They seemed to have no idea the seats were also identified.

Eventually, they moved, with a very bad grace, the man saying loudly, "I hope you're as quick to step in your grave as you are to step into my seat!" The woman seated next to me told me she thought we should have let the other couple stay in our seats, and she nagged me about it for the rest of the flight.

Situation 2: We boarded in AKL, on to a flight that had originated in SYD. There was a woman already sitting in one of the seats that had been allocated to us. Her boarding pass showed the same seat number as mine. Duplicate seat allocation.

We pressed the bell to summon the FA. After examining the boarding passes, she went away for a few minutes, then came back and upgraded the other passenger to business class. All sorted pleasantly and politely, with all of us happy at the outcome. Of course, it would have been better if we had all been upgraded!
LOL!

I was just saying reading your post.. you definitely got your seat..

But had you known that the person standing up would have been upgraded.. most of us certainly would have been polite enough to stand up and be charitable..
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
But had you known that the person standing up would have been upgraded.. most of us certainly would have been polite enough to stand up and be charitable..
Don't we all?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
LOL!

I was just saying reading your post.. you definitely got your seat..

Yes, but on our first example, we were left feeling like the baddies.

On our second example,iIt was all done quite amicably. The woman actually offered to move elsewhere (there were a couple of free seats in Y) but we encouraged her to wait for the FA to sort it, saying that there was a chance she would get a better seat. It was a long flight (AKL-SIN) and the 2 of us did want to sit together.
After our previous, fraught experience, we approached this woman with humour. Our first conversation was like: " Houston, we have a problem! Have you been given the same seat as we have?" It was a pleasant experience all round.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pinworm
She was on the wrong side of 45. What I used to call a Scottsdale C...nt. You know the type if you have ever lived in PHX. Brown tank top of some kind, freckeled neck over fake bazoongas, bad dye job on her hair, and a dumber man somewhere who pays for all of it.
Hi Pinworm, I guess a "Scottsdale C...nt" is the equivilent of a "See You Next Tuesday"
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli

If she was a middle eastern looking male they would have had the TSA and police drag her off the plane for questioning.
rely, what about if she is redneck you will do the same.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by General_Flyer

But on commuters you can't reserve a specific seat..
But that doesn't stop the die hards trying the 'you are sitting in my seat' line! When I first started commuting I selected a seat at an early station and had a very rude women stand, hands on hips and scream that at me, followed by 'you ahve to move NOW'! If there had been other seats I might have moved, but there were not by this point so I didn't. And every single day for months she glared at me, because I rather liked the seat I had sat in on the first day, so chose it each day! Petty, absolutely, but had she not shouted at me on day one, I probably wouldn't have developed any seat habit, as I don't really care too much (although 3 years in, I do have 'my seat' now - but would never ever dream of trying to claim it from another!)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Well of course -- everyone knows that Flying While Muslim is a prosecutable offense. The nerve of those Muslims -- actually practicing a Different Religion in the United States.
Stop talking about MUSLIMS , if you know Muslims and Islam away from your media then you can judge.

OP didn't mention race or religion why you engage it in discussion.it's matter of bad behavior not related to other things.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69
But that doesn't stop the die hards trying the 'you are sitting in my seat' line! When I first started commuting I selected a seat at an early station and had a very rude women stand, hands on hips and scream that at me, followed by 'you ahve to move NOW'! If there had been other seats I might have moved, but there were not by this point so I didn't. And every single day for months she glared at me, because I rather liked the seat I had sat in on the first day, so chose it each day! Petty, absolutely, but had she not shouted at me on day one, I probably wouldn't have developed any seat habit, as I don't really care too much (although 3 years in, I do have 'my seat' now - but would never ever dream of trying to claim it from another!)
Funny how people get attached to things they have no real claim to. A colleague of mine was on a WN flight in 11C and a man came up to her and basically told her "I always sit there". This woman does not take crap from anyone and told him "Not today". The guy went off in a huff like she had poached his assigned seat. WN IS OPEN SEATING!!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CraiNo
Stop talking about MUSLIMS , if you know Muslims and Islam away from your media then you can judge.

OP didn't mention race or religion why you engage it in discussion.it's matter of bad behavior not related to other things.
I'm afraid you missed my point, which was framed as sarcasm and critical of those in this country who deny Muslims the same freedoms and rights enjoyed by those of other religions. I suggest you do a search on my posting history before you start lecturing me -- I am a very vocal defender of Muslim rights, and Islam generally.
Cotumely likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.