Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle this...woman in my seat!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
It's not happened to me but it does happen (if you scroll/search a bit you'll find several threads on the subject).

You should have (quietly) called a Flight Attendant. They would have (quietly) sorted it out.
Yea. No way I would have agreed to that. Straight to the FA. Someone in my seat I think, can you help sort it out.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
You're right of course. By the way what are 'neeners'? Can I google it?
Indeed, you can:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_'neener'

Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:02 pm

Wow, this seat shifter business happens a lot lately. I experienced a seat brouhaha, and recently there have been other similar posters on this topic.

But, it happens in other places besides airplanes. We have season tix to the opera; more than once this year, someone else has been sitting in our seats and asked us if we mind moving to their seats further down that row, or in the next row back.
We've also had people save an entire row at the movie theater, claiming that their family of nine or ten people are "on their way" and they need the seats.

Really, I like staying home these days. Each person in my family knows which seat is theirs in the living room . . .
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had that with someone sitting in my (domestic) F seat. I looked at her confusedly, and she replied, "We (her husband beside her in the window seat) were supposed to be together, but 'it got messed up'." That was it.

I took her seat, which I didn't mind in the end as I hadn't wanted bulkhead, and my new seat opponent was a nice guy (I was certain her husband wouldn't have been so pleasant).

Next time, I'll probably contest it though.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by PTravel
Thank you, kind Sir!

Its kind of difficult knowing slang language most of the times..
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:00 pm
Suspended

She was on the wrong side of 45. What I used to call a Scottsdale C...nt. You know the type if you have ever lived in PHX. Brown tank top of some kind, freckeled neck over fake bazoongas, bad dye job on her hair, and a dumber man somewhere who pays for all of it.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:04 pm

My husband and I will sometimes change seats to sit together, but we do ask first. (Usually I'll book us window aisle and if the plane is full, he'll move to the middle. Never been turned down. Funny, that. )

On a flight last year, we were upgraded to first, I had 1A and he had 1C. He asked the guy in 1B to switch with him. They guy said he would but only if I said it was OK. I did. It was an amusing exchange.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
It's not happened to me but it does happen (if you scroll/search a bit you'll find several threads on the subject).

You should have (quietly) called a Flight Attendant. They would have (quietly) sorted it out.
Add another vote to have the FA handle the situation for you..
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Something isn't right about this post. Check out the other recent posts by the op.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Add another vote to have the FA handle the situation for you..
Yes. I learned this the hard way:
Situation 1: - 2 people sitting in DH's and my seats. No FAs in sight. We asked this couple to show their boarding passes, which showed they should be in H & J in the same row, not in D & E, our seats. I don't think this couple had flown before, because they insisted they were in the correct seats, being in the row shown on their boarding passes. They seemed to have no idea the seats were also identified.

Eventually, they moved, with a very bad grace, the man saying loudly, "I hope you're as quick to step in your grave as you are to step into my seat!" The woman seated next to me told me she thought we should have let the other couple stay in our seats, and she nagged me about it for the rest of the flight.

Situation 2: We boarded in AKL, on to a flight that had originated in SYD. There was a woman already sitting in one of the seats that had been allocated to us. Her boarding pass showed the same seat number as mine. Duplicate seat allocation.

We pressed the bell to summon the FA. After examining the boarding passes, she went away for a few minutes, then came back and upgraded the other passenger to business class. All sorted pleasantly and politely, with all of us happy at the outcome. Of course, it would have been better if we had all been upgraded!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Originally Posted by zrs70
Something isn't right about this post. Check out the other recent posts by the op.
Hmmm. Hmmm.

Gee OP, you do seem to have many odd in flight experiences.

Pretty much all of the flights Ive taken this year I couldnt even tell you of one interaction, one interesting thing about any of my fellow passengers.

Maybe Im not so observant. Whats you next thread? Someone famous rude to you? Someone try to steal your drink? The passenger next to you strapped on tefilin and prayed too loudly?

Lemme guess, you were in F? :wink:
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J3 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by milan luka
Originally Posted by zrs70
Hmmm. Hmmm.

Gee OP, you do seem to have many odd in flight experiences.

Pretty much all of the flights Ive taken this year I couldnt even tell you of one interaction, one interesting thing about any of my fellow passengers.

Maybe Im not so observant. Whats you next thread? Someone famous rude to you? Someone try to steal your drink? The passenger next to you strapped on tefilin and prayed too loudly?

Lemme guess, you were in F? :wink:
I don't believe I have ever been rude to the OP. It was a nice frosty beverage, however!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It happens on occasion. I ask once nicely (people do make mistakes). If the reaction is not a move, I discretely ask a FA to handle. No need to be anything other than matter-of-fact, "there is someone sitting in my assigned seat, here is my BP, I have asked them to move and they won't." Never had a problem.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
In a half century of semi-frequent flying, I've encountered the situation half a dozen times (+/-). On all but one occasion, an FA handled the situation appropriately. Once, it escalated to a conclave between the FA, the pilot and a gate agent, then an acrimonious confrontation (with me completely uninvolved) with the wrongly seat pax (2), ending up with the pair removed from the flight, not the resolution I sought. The affair triggered such a delay that we were offered one seat "up front", but I really like sitting next to my wife, not next to pax already angry at what they saw as cruel mistreatment (which got a lot crueler when they were "deboarded".

That's one of those things for which cabin crew are paid (but not always effective).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Next time, I'll probably contest it though.
Why?

If you don't mind switching and they ask politely, why contest it? Just switch and be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.