How to handle this...woman in my seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle this...woman in my seat!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
You are hilarious with your sense of entitlement.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:13 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by exbayern
It's a nice concept, but I believe that you are overlooking the fact that seating is a giant puzzle.

What if a family of five books when most other seats have been assigned, and there are only random seats across three rows? Does the family not have the responsibility to check and ensure that seats are available together before they book the ticket? Why do they have precedence over those people who booked before they did?
Don't many airlines block a lot of seats (including a few entire rows in the back) from pre-selection so that families can be seated together at check-in? Of course that means that checking whether seats together are available is not really transparent to the passenger looking at the airline's web site for a flight.

What I don't get is how airlines manage to break up groups even when they do have blocks of seats together specifically for this purpose.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tjl
Don't many airlines block a lot of seats (including a few entire rows in the back) from pre-selection so that families can be seated together at check-in? Of course that means that checking whether seats together are available is not really transparent to the passenger looking at the airline's web site for a flight.

What I don't get is how airlines manage to break up groups even when they do have blocks of seats together specifically for this purpose.
I used to think so.. and up until the last second.. always having my family split up by the time we check in and try to select seats at the very last second..

There has been extensive discussion on FT, regarding seat selection, and how an airline manually figures out the seating arrangement and the challenge thats face.. its not easy..

So recommended that seat selections are made ahead of time to ensure that the entire party sits together.. if there is an aircraft change, then ASAP on calling in or getting online to select seats together..
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:08 pm

Had this happen too

I was on the Lufthansa Airbus 380 flight from FRA-SFO and I secured the bulkhead Y in the second Y cabin as the first Bulkhead was empty. This woman and her child decided to take my seat without asking.

When I came to my seat I politely told the woman that I had reserved this seat and I would like to take my seat. She was rude and said this is now my seat. I told her I'm sorry but you need to move as she did not ask me in the first place if she could have my seat.

I told the flight attendant and she told the lady to move and she finally did.

Point in case you need to ask nicely for the other passenger to move or ask to see their boarding pass. More than likely there was a confusion which can and does happen. Don't make a scene but be firm in your request.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:27 pm

No, you don't need to ask to see their boarding pass. Nor do you need to ask nicely for the other person to move if they did indeed poach your seat. 'Asking' a seat poacher to move isn't required.

However, in this case, I suspect that you were moved by LH, not that you encountered a seat poacher. LH does move passengers from bulkhead seats to allow for use of bassinettes, just as they move passengers from wheelchair indicated seats, and from rows which become C after being initially marked as Y seats.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by pinworm
The reason breeders and their rugrats should be banished to the rear is the same reason the "smoking sections" of the old days were back there. Children emit things that those without them (or at least traveling without them) don't want to be exposed to: noise, fidgetiness, vomit, feces, urine, and stray food. They are the new smokers.

And if parents don't like it, too bad. It would be so much easier for airlines to get families together if the designated a bunch of rear rows to it.

The rest of us would be happier pax, knowing that generally our odds of having some parasite kicking our seats or making our ear drums bleed or constanly chattering in a high pitched voice would be much lower. I would gladly sit in row 15 if there were no kids until row 25.
Well, speaking personally of course and with only a hypothetical perspective of he whom I've quoted, I'm firmly convinced that young arrogant a**holes with substantial over-estimation of their own self-importance should ride in either the lavs (forced to emerge and stand in the aisle, when the facilities are needed by other pax) or in unheated, unpressurized baggage holds. I mean no disrespect to the poster, but I would refuse him antibiotics were his eyes to become infected with a galloping infestation of a well known STD.

Now, I shy away from close proximity to rug rats and ankle biters, many of both reek and leak, but comprehend their parents' inalienable right to haul them around everywhere (subject to fare rules and contracts of carriage).

In summation, as they used to say to the unwelcome at the bar of the Drovers' Inn in old Dog Town, home of the laundresses, camp followers and fallen women serving the garrison at Fort Concho: "....you and the horse you rode into town, cowboy!"
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Friendly message from a moderator

Time for a little breather. This Thread is in need of attention and possible editing.
We'll just lock it up for about 24 hours or less.
Thanks for your cooperation..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.