Rude woman's Request to Change Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude woman's Request to Change Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoldieGhe
I did not cast judgement an anyone; I was in similar situations many times and gladly gave up my seat. But I understand that we are individuals with different levels of education, values, social backgrounds, or parenting experiences. I was raised to be considerate and kind to others; although I have plenty of gray hair, I still have my mother's voice in my head telling me to play nice.
I'm with ya...when the person who wants to switch with me is polite and is offering a logical (equal or better) switch. It's these cases where someone either (a) occupies my seat before I've boarded, (b) offers me a worse seat in exchange, or (c) is just outright rude about it.

In those cases, I'm not switching. They can go find another sucker.

And I'm totally with WiscAZ: 2A is a better seat than 1A on most RJ's. I specifically try to book 2A whenever I'm lucky enough to get an upgrade on one of those types. In a lot of F configurations, I find bulkhead to be the worst row...nowhere to stash a bag and frequently less legroom than the farther-back rows. It's the opposite of Y in many cases.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not cast judgement an anyone; I was in similar situations many times and gladly gave up my seat. But I understand that we are individuals with different levels of education, values, social backgrounds, or parenting experiences. I was raised to be considerate and kind to others; although I have plenty of gray hair, I still have my mother's voice in my head telling me to play nice.
I was raised to be kind and considerate to others, too. I was not raised to be a door mat. I was also not raised to judge the "education, values, social backgrounds or parenting experiences," of those who were.

Honestly, your condescending self-congratulations is really inappropriate.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond & DL GM
Originally Posted by PTravel
Honestly, your condescending self-congratulations is really inappropriate.
I apologize if my comments offended your sensibilities. It wasn't my intention to be condescending or congratulate myself for anything. I meant to point out that probably I am a little more tolerant of others good manners (or lack thereof) because I was born in a different part of the world, I traveled many places on the map and realized that I shouldn't hold everyone I meet to the same level of expectations. To show kindness to nice people it's easy; the hard part is to be kind with people who don't deserves it. Hope that nobody else was offended.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I apologize if my comments offended your sensibilities. It wasn't my intention to be condescending or congratulate myself for anything. I meant to point out that probably I am a little more tolerant of others good manners (or lack thereof) because I was born in a different part of the world, I traveled many places on the map and realized that I shouldn't hold everyone I meet to the same level of expectations. To show kindness to nice people it's easy; the hard part is to be kind with people who don't deserves it. Hope that nobody else was offended.
First of all, I've also traveled all over the world and extensively (and, by the way, I have plenty of gray hair -- at least that which I have left -- too). This is exactly what I meant by condescending -- the assumption that you're more worldly than those who don't hold your philosophy. There is an enormous difference between someone whose cultural standards are not the same as yours and someone who is just plain rude and selfish.

Why would you want to be kind to people who don't deserve it?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond & DL GM
This is exactly what I meant by condescending -- the assumption that you're more worldly than those who don't hold your philosophy. There is an enormous difference between someone whose cultural standards are not the same as yours and someone who is just plain rude and selfish.
That is your interpretation of what I wrote and although I respect your opinion, is not an accurate characterization. What is perfectly acceptable in some parts of the country, or different parts of the world, might be considered as uncivilized on a transatlantic Business Elite cabin.

Why would you want to be kind to people who don't deserve it?
Because I was raised this way; it's just a matter of personal preference. Please, do not consider it as discourteous if I will refrain from making future comments on this subject. I sincerely wish you the best!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
A few years ago, Mr. F and I were traveling from SIN-DEN. On the first leg we were not seated together, and politely asked the FA is there was any way to move us. The FA asked the person seated next to me if she would agree to switch. She declined, and the FA persisted probably more than she needed to. My seatmate was pleasant, but I was secretly pleased when the plane developed a condensation leak right above her causing her to get quite wet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.