My viewpoint on Airline Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My viewpoint on Airline Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
On the other hand...

I, personally, don't see that much value.

Almost every thread I read about lounges gets around, somehow, to the availability of alcohol. I don't drink alcohol, never, for the simple reason that it tastes like crap and makes me sick.

People usually mention comfortable chairs and quiet surroundings. Fine, except that if I am waiting at the departure gate, I can get pretty darn comfy by putting my feet up on my carryon bag and pulling out my iPod. I get the music, podcast or audiobook of my choice, rather than whatever is on the Musak in a lounge.

The availability of showers is attractive if one has a long layover. (For a short layover, there would not be time for a shower.) Excellent point, however, I do my best to avoid long layovers. Maybe I'm just fortunate, but I haven't had a truly long layover in years. In such a case, booking a day room at the airport hotel would be even nicer than the nicest lounge.

Finally, a huge advantage of lounges is the availability of airline personnel is to reroute in the event of irrops. I'll grant you that, and would postulate that one such event could pay for the annual membership fee.

Waiting at the gate does has a huge advantage. I like to "be where I am supposed to be". I get to the airport, watch the TV monitors and make a beeline for the gate, stopping only for the Ladies' Room en route. Once I have confirmed that the advertised gate is "my" gate, I might go to a nearby newsstand and buy a snack or something to read. I then return to the gate where I will become aware, instantly, of any gate change and/or start of the boarding process.

Because I am in the habit of getting to the airport with plenty of time to spare, I usually get to the departure gate when there are lots of empty seats. I pick one, ideally with my back to a wall, prop up my feet on a carryon, pull out iPod, etc.
Sort of in the same camp here..

If lounge access is included within my memberships.. hey why not?

But if I have to pay a membership fee and/or a per entry fee that is exhorbitant.. I'm just hanging out at the mall or food court.. thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
While domestic lounges are hardly pleasure palaces, they beat sitting outside with the hoi polloi!
the RCC lounges at IAD are dumps. they are noisy, and usually crowded. with luck after finally finding a pair of chairs together, one can sit and watch uncontrolled kids run around. should mention the attendants also. they serve wretched wine at outrageous prices, and food usually consists of coctail fish and pretzels.

my wife is most anal about early arrival when flying transatlantic. we pack a late lunch(in bygon era, took a bottle of champagne) and find a quiet place down at one end or the other of UA terninal.

MUC,FRA, CDG and BRU also have miserable LH and UA "clubs" virgin atlantic is a different thing. although crowded, i like the AZ(whoever alatalia is now) in italy, even when crowded.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by danielonn
If I was a member of UA Red Carpet Club I would loose out on the PriorityPass Lounge offerings abroad.

UA RCC membership also allows entry to the *G lounges provided you have a same day star alliance boarding pass (or RCC access with non *A), and most *G lounges would not be able to gain entry by PP. As others have mentioned, most lounges offered by PP are below standard, just like in NRT, how does KE lounge (access by PP) compared with NH lounge ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.