Search

Best value in First Class Domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Best value in First Class Domestic?

My first flight would be MIA - SEA.

- So far my tyro traveler self finds only Alaska has a non-stop flight.
- That some consider Delta First Class as actually Enhanced Economy (at least domestically).
- Amex points don't seem to transfer to American. I don't have many at this time so that's not critical lol.
- That JetBlue has good reviews but no First Class per se.

Which is the best value, the flight worth spending money on?

Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by danpass
My first flight would be MIA - SEA.

- So far my tyro traveler self finds only Alaska has a non-stop flight.
- That some consider Delta First Class as actually Enhanced Economy (at least domestically).
- Amex points don't seem to transfer to American. I don't have many at this time so that's not critical lol.
- That JetBlue has good reviews but no First Class per se.

Which is the best value, the flight worth spending money on?

Thanks.
If I were paying for F and had no preference for a certain Airline/Alliance, I would consider two choices. Fly Virgin America FLL-SFO-SEA with great recline, comfortable seats with massage, in seat IFE etc. Or fly AA 299 to LAX connecting to AS LAX-SEA. The 5 hour transcon is in AA's international flagship suites, better than any domestic first seat other than similar instances of international planes flown on domestic routes. AS first is mediocre, however.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:29 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Alaska does indeed operate the only nonstop flight MIA-SEA, departing daily 8:40A, arriving 11:55A. It's priced competitively at about $750; 1-stop flights on US or DL are about the same. If the schedule works for you, AS F is almost certainly the best value. Virgin has a great product but runs about $500 more plus a forced stop in SFO.

It's not clear whether you are familiar with typical domestic F seats; AS is comparable to but at the bottom end of legacy carriers' (non-premium) first class service. You'll be on a 737-800/900 with 2x2 seating in F. Seats are comfortably wide, with 36" pitch and limited recline. As a carrier trying to straddle the legacy and LCC markets, AS' product has limited frills: no blankets or pillows and meal service is basic. IFE consists of portable media players with movies and TV shows. Wifi is available but not complimentary in F ($12.95 for the flight). Warm nuts and hot towels are provided towards the end of the flight. Alaska does not have priority baggage service for F customers, but your checked bag is free and guaranteed to arrive within 20 minutes of parking at the gate.

As a dedicated AS flyer, it's hard even for me to make the case for AS F compared to other carriers. AS provides a comfortable but not luxurious product, but I find the service often more than makes up for hard product deficiences: AS has a small-carrier "we try harder" approach that often leaves me smiling. Ultimately, the nonstop service is probably the most compelling argument for AS. If you value your time at all, it's a no-brainer.

Last edited by baliktad; Jun 5, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.