Search

Turkish immigration refuses to give a receipt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
Turkish immigration refuses to give a receipt

Hi

As many of you would probably know, to enter Turkey you require a Visa + stamp in your passport. To obtain this Visa you need to pay a charge in a certain currency (the value also differs based on your origin.)

As a Dutch person living in the UK I already had an issue with them last year where I flew UK->Norway->Turkey and as of such only had GBP and NOK notes in my wallet. The immigration officer only accepted EUR because my passport is Dutch, even after showing them my UK driving license containing my UK address they refused to take the 10 GBP note I carefully positioned in front of their noses. After pushing hard I managed to pay by credit card.. Now what currency did I see on my final statement?? 20 USD!!

This took place last year so I was prepared and came with 15 EUR cash last week. I handed the cash and got my stamp, but then I asked for a receipt because I require it to claim my expenses. They refused to give one, after pushing very hard, the woman stopped talking to me. Her colleague took over and told me they wouldn't issue a receipt. In the mean time another passenger came next to us and paid by CC, and he got a receipt!!

I challenged and said why does he get a receipt? The guy answered because he paid by card. So I told him, please give me back my 15 euro and I will pay by card. Upon which he answered: "no that is not possible because you already have the sticker".

Is it actually legal to refuse giving a receipt? I suspect they may just put the money in their own pockets. I am thinking of sending a complaint to the Turkish embassy about their poor treatment of visitors to their country.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mart81
Hi

As many of you would probably know, to enter Turkey you require a Visa + stamp in your passport. To obtain this Visa you need to pay a charge in a certain currency (the value also differs based on your origin.)

As a Dutch person living in the UK I already had an issue with them last year where I flew UK->Norway->Turkey and as of such only had GBP and NOK notes in my wallet. The immigration officer only accepted EUR because my passport is Dutch, even after showing them my UK driving license containing my UK address they refused to take the 10 GBP note I carefully positioned in front of their noses. After pushing hard I managed to pay by credit card.. Now what currency did I see on my final statement?? 20 USD!!

This took place last year so I was prepared and came with 15 EUR cash last week. I handed the cash and got my stamp, but then I asked for a receipt because I require it to claim my expenses. They refused to give one, after pushing very hard, the woman stopped talking to me. Her colleague took over and told me they wouldn't issue a receipt. In the mean time another passenger came next to us and paid by CC, and he got a receipt!!

I challenged and said why does he get a receipt? The guy answered because he paid by card. So I told him, please give me back my 15 euro and I will pay by card. Upon which he answered: "no that is not possible because you already have the sticker".

Is it actually legal to refuse giving a receipt? I suspect they may just put the money in their own pockets. I am thinking of sending a complaint to the Turkish embassy about their poor treatment of visitors to their country.
Over 15 euro and a receipt. Maybe the guy put it in his pocket, maybe he didn't. Maybe they will never let you back in the country or worse yet, maybe they will let you in but not out. If this is the biggest problem you have traveling, be thrilled.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:35 pm

I'd say by all means write, but I don't suppose you'll get very far. On the other hand, one never knows: after all, tourism is important to the Turkish economy.

I'd be surprised, though, if they put the money in their pockets, because I imagine that there'd be (potentially at least) a reckoning up of money in vs stickers out. The question of the legality of not issuing receipts is something that one can't know without a knowledge of Turkish law and the relevant regulations, however.

Regarding the expense claim, I can only suggest that you submit a photocopy of the visa sticker in your passport (which shows the amount; at least the pound sterling ones do), with a note that receipts are not issued by the Turkish immigration people. It's hard to see how it could be denied as a proper expense, and it is documented.

I have sometimes wondered about the need for certain nationals to pay in certain currencies. It shouldn't take too much imagination from the Turkish authorities to envisage, for example, that a British citizen might live in the USA or a Dutch citizen in the UK. I have noticed the last few times I've been to Turkey that payment by credit card now seems to be readily acceptable, so I suppose that gets round that problem. I have, however, continued to pay in cash (£10) since that seems easier and less risky.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
If this is the biggest problem you have traveling, be thrilled.
I don't think that the OP said it was the biggest problem he or she has had while travelling...
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Over 15 euro and a receipt. Maybe the guy put it in his pocket, maybe he didn't. Maybe they will never let you back in the country or worse yet, maybe they will let you in but not out. If this is the biggest problem you have traveling, be thrilled.
It's a principle even if it was a penny. It doesn't mean the world to me but it is a golden example of why Turkey will never join the EU in the near future upholding such rigid views.

Originally Posted by Christopher
I'd say by all means write, but I don't suppose you'll get very far. On the other hand, one never knows: after all, tourism is important to the Turkish economy.
Not trying to get far, just make them aware of the ridicule of their protocols.

I'd be surprised, though, if they put the money in their pockets, because I imagine that there'd be (potentially at least) a reckoning up of money in vs stickers out. The question of the legality of not issuing receipts is something that one can't know without a knowledge of Turkish law and the relevant regulations, however.
I was hoping maybe somebody with a Turkish passport would stop by here and fill in that gap, because indeed, you can only guess as far as the law is concerned. Not sure if there are any Turkish users on here.

Regarding the expense claim, I can only suggest that you submit a photocopy of the visa sticker in your passport (which shows the amount; at least the pound sterling ones do), with a note that receipts are not issued by the Turkish immigration people. It's hard to see how it could be denied as a proper expense, and it is documented.
This is how I will do it, I already checked with our finance department, but it still leaves the principle outstanding

I have sometimes wondered about the need for certain nationals to pay in certain currencies. It shouldn't take too much imagination from the Turkish authorities to envisage, for example, that a British citizen might live in the USA or a Dutch citizen in the UK. I have noticed the last few times I've been to Turkey that payment by credit card now seems to be readily acceptable, so I suppose that gets round that problem. I have, however, continued to pay in cash (£10) since that seems easier and less risky.
^^ to me this is a rather critical point as well.
Also noted that $20 converts into roughly £12 which means they make £2 profit on forcing people to pay in USD by card.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:47 pm

Also noted that $20 converts into roughly £12 which means they make £2 profit on forcing people to pay in USD by card.
To be fair though, this will go up and down as exchange rates fluctuate.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

To be fair though, this will go up and down as exchange rates fluctuate.
Which is exactly why I believe they refused my GBP because it would have meant they earned less than charging me in EUR or USD
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:12 pm

I suppose the other side of all of this is the difficulty and expense that Turkish citizens have to go through to get a visa to travel to the UK and other similar countries. I do try to remember that whenever I'm standing in a long queue at Istanbul airport waiting to buy a visa sticker...
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:41 pm

It's a principle even if it was a penny. It doesn't mean the world to me but it is a golden example of why Turkey will never join the EU in the near future upholding such rigid views.
I don't really think the refusal to give a receipt for a visa purchase can in any way be construed as an example why they won't be joining the EU. It's not exactly a "rigid view", it's more likely an oversight by whoever makes the rules and the people on the ground just have to follow them. I doubt they took it further up the chain because it was such a trivial issue and they just wanted to get rid of you.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Hi

There's an old saying: "Sometimes you need to pick your battles."
This is not a battle I would have picked!

I doubt you'll get anywhere and you will have needlessly expended a lot of energy.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:55 pm

Is it actually legal to refuse giving a receipt?
Yes, any Turkish legal experts about?

Try here or here if you must.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:55 pm

There is a large sign at the visa counter that states very clearly (my syntax may be slightly off but the message is clear).

"NO RECEIPT IS ISSUED FOR CASH PURCHASES. THE PRICE OF THE VISA IS NOTED ON THE STICKER. PLEASE MAKE PHOTOCOPY OF THE STICKER IF YOU REQUIRE A RECEIPT FOR CASH PURCHASE, ELSE USE CREDIT CARD."
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Whether Turkey or another country, they do have the right to refuse British pounds if they want to do so. Every country has the right to refuse a currency other than their own.

As for the receipt part of it, sounds like B747--437B has given you the answer.

Seems like a small time problem and not worth the effort to write anyone. At best nothing will happen, at worst you will be pegged as a troublemaker
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Welcome to my ignore list. <plonk>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.