Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best Business Class, San Francisco to Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

My company has decided to send me to Europe in business class this year. Being a frequent flyer on United, I have flown UA and LH and LX. I have more than enough miles to make 1k this year, so I can leave the alliance.

From SFO, our options are:

SFO-CDG with AF and connect.

SFO-LHR with BA and connect.

SFO-AMS with KLM and connect.

I am not sure if it's possible to buy a ticket with Virgin Atlantic to connect, or does Virgin Atlantic only to go LHR? From many Trip reports about Virgin, it seems like their food is pretty bad now. Their lounges are great, but I heard the plane food itself is quite nasty.

What would people recommend? I am leaning towards trying either AF or BA. Do people know if AF or BA are new configuration business class or old? I am used to lie-flat seats on United, so I don't like the angled lie-flats like LH.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
AF is using the A380 on the SFO-CDG route this summer. From airlineroute.net:

AIRFRANCE from 06JUN11 to 04SEP11 is introducing Airbus A380 service on Paris CDG – San Francisco route, which will be AF’s 4th North American A380 destination.

Schedule:

AF084 CDG1030 – 1240SFO 388 D
AF080 CDG1340 – 1610SFO 343 247

AF083 SFO1610 – 1135+1CDG 388 D
AF085 SFO1810 – 1355+1CDG 343 247

AF084/083 from 05SEP11 to 29OCT11 operates with 777-300ER
AF080/085 from 05SEP11 to 29OCT11 operates with 747-400

LH is also using the A380 this summer:

As per 27JAN11 GDS timetable display, Lufthansa is introducing Airbus A380 aircraft on Frankfurt – San Francisco service, effective 10MAY11. Currently the A380 service is loaded until 29OCT11, the end of Summer schedule.

Schedule:

LH454 FRA0935 – 1155SFO 388 D
LH455 SFO1420 – 1005+1FRA 388 D
Old May 7, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
I thought LX was using their new C product on SFO-ZRH. If so ^

Last edited by Dan6681; May 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm
Old May 7, 2011, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daawgon
AF is using the A380 on the SFO-CDG route this summer. From airlineroute.net:

AIRFRANCE from 06JUN11 to 04SEP11 is introducing Airbus A380 service on Paris CDG – San Francisco route, which will be AF’s 4th North American A380 destination.
This looks great, but I'll be traveling later in the year. Do you know why they are doing the A380 only temporarily for the summer months?

Originally Posted by Dan6681
I thought LX was using there new C product on SFO-ZRH. If so ^
Thanks. This was a great product, I agree. I flew this once before, and it was just great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuVhu_tjEtg

However, I was just wondering if it would be nice to fly on BA, AF, KLM, or Virgin, and if they were better. Any thoughts on those vs LX?
Old May 8, 2011, 10:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case, I am not going to pay business on any carrier that doesn't have a flat bed seat -- which ones of these have that?

You should also consider UA with an upgrade to first, if your company is paying for C/D. Generally NF space is relatively easy to confirm at booking time.

Virgin Atlantic does have flat bed seats but required me to check my carry-on bag, something I never ordinarily do, so they are out for me. Might be OK for you if you check bags. Onboard service was no better than other carriers but the club room beforehand is better as they serve a limited selection of hot food to order.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Where in Europe are you heading ?? BA has a nice lounge setup at SFO and the lounges at LHR are brilliant.

Also worth considering that a couple of trips on BA connecting to shorthaul at heathrow would give you BA silver which would grant you AA domestic lounge access in the US if you ever use American ?

cs
Old May 8, 2011, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Good ideas.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In my case, I am not going to pay business on any carrier that doesn't have a flat bed seat -- which ones of these have that?

You should also consider UA with an upgrade to first, if your company is paying for C/D. Generally NF space is relatively easy to confirm at booking time.

Virgin Atlantic does have flat bed seats but required me to check my carry-on bag, something I never ordinarily do, so they are out for me. Might be OK for you if you check bags. Onboard service was no better than other carriers but the club room beforehand is better as they serve a limited selection of hot food to order.
Thanks, Richard. My backup is paying for C on LH and using an SWU to upgrade to F. Do you know if it's easy to transfer from Virgin to Zurich? I get the sense that I have to buy another ticket, and that Virgin doesn't really do intra-europe flights.

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Where in Europe are you heading ?? BA has a nice lounge setup at SFO and the lounges at LHR are brilliant.

Also worth considering that a couple of trips on BA connecting to shorthaul at heathrow would give you BA silver which would grant you AA domestic lounge access in the US if you ever use American ?

cs
Zurich. I know there is a non-stop SFO-ZRH on LX, which is a great C product. But I was wondering if BA or AF are "better" and worth trying. I have never used AA, but this is a good thought.

Thanks
Old May 8, 2011, 9:45 pm

Could always try Air Canada.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
From SFO, our options are:

SFO-CDG with AF and connect.

SFO-LHR with BA and connect.

SFO-AMS with KLM and connect.
Among those choices, my vote would be BA for service and seats. I've never done AF's 380 C product but have done their 744 C and KL's 747 C. BA's NGCW and service is better than both from my experiences.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I'd also give BA a try,

The BA service ex SFO is great, I did it again 6 weeks ago.

Nice departure time ex SFO and good arrival time into London. BA offers 6 or so flights to Zurich from Heathrow per day which will allow options in the event of delays.

At Heathrow if flying CW connecting to CE you can shower and freshen up etc, along with some lunch prior to your onward flight.

120 TPs for the CW sectors plus 40 for the CE will give you 320 TPs per round trip and silver after your 2nd.

Main benefits of silver being higher miles earning for future flights along with oneworld lounge access and priority checkin etc.

As I said previously depending on your American domestic travel plans the BA option could benefit you if you use AA within the us as you will get domestic lounge access along with silver bonus miles on AA and the AA sectors helping to build/maintain your BA status.

Let us know what you decide to do

For USA based numbers silver could be very valuable

cs
Old May 9, 2011, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
My experiences are dated. I flew on Virgin Atlantic three times from SFO, and I think their flat-bed business seat (or suite, perhaps) is outstanding. I see comments upthread about onboard food, but even if they are correct, I wouldn't worry about that. You can have a great, proper dinner in the SFO lounge and a nice breakfast upon arrival at LHR. They have a fun bar and even a masseuse onboard. Just don't get really drunk and show up in London with a hangover (never going to do that again).

In 2005 (give/take a year), I flew on AF in business. It was good, but nothing special.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Thanks, Richard. My backup is paying for C on LH and using an SWU to upgrade to F. Do you know if it's easy to transfer from Virgin to Zurich? I get the sense that I have to buy another ticket, and that Virgin doesn't really do intra-europe flights....
You mean at LHR? You'll have to go through security regardless and may have to change terminals depending on who you use LHR-ZRH. Ideally you should have 2 hrs min transfer time.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Airokid
Could always try Air Canada.
I would, but the immigration through Canada is just painful. Thanks, though.

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Among those choices, my vote would be BA for service and seats. I've never done AF's 380 C product but have done their 744 C and KL's 747 C. BA's NGCW and service is better than both from my experiences.
Do you know if AF will have the A380 to SFO?

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I'd also give BA a try,

The BA service ex SFO is great, I did it again 6 weeks ago.

Nice departure time ex SFO and good arrival time into London. BA offers 6 or so flights to Zurich from Heathrow per day which will allow options in the event of delays.

At Heathrow if flying CW connecting to CE you can shower and freshen up etc, along with some lunch prior to your onward flight.

120 TPs for the CW sectors plus 40 for the CE will give you 320 TPs per round trip and silver after your 2nd.

Main benefits of silver being higher miles earning for future flights along with oneworld lounge access and priority checkin etc.

As I said previously depending on your American domestic travel plans the BA option could benefit you if you use AA within the us as you will get domestic lounge access along with silver bonus miles on AA and the AA sectors helping to build/maintain your BA status.

Let us know what you decide to do

For USA based numbers silver could be very valuable

cs
Good idea. I have wanted to try BA club world.

Originally Posted by dhuey
My experiences are dated. I flew on Virgin Atlantic three times from SFO, and I think their flat-bed business seat (or suite, perhaps) is outstanding. I see comments upthread about onboard food, but even if they are correct, I wouldn't worry about that. You can have a great, proper dinner in the SFO lounge and a nice breakfast upon arrival at LHR. They have a fun bar and even a masseuse onboard. Just don't get really drunk and show up in London with a hangover (never going to do that again).

In 2005 (give/take a year), I flew on AF in business. It was good, but nothing special.
Thank you. Good suggestions.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You mean at LHR? You'll have to go through security regardless and may have to change terminals depending on who you use LHR-ZRH. Ideally you should have 2 hrs min transfer time.
Okay, Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.