Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Al Deir at Petra - most people ooh and ahh over the Treasury, but if you take the time to make the long hike to Al Deir, you will get a fantastic view across a canyon to an amazing building carved completely out of stone, more magnificent than the Treasury in my opinion.
Is Al Deir the "Monastery" on the mountaintop? If so, agreed. It was sublime. I want to go back to Petra and explore it more leisurely.

Originally Posted by 11yaa
The Taj Mahal in northern India. I entered the atrium barefoot, went up the little gateway, about 1000 yards from the actual building and crossed the threshold to see the white building shimmering in reflection in the pool. Unbelievable... to a guy from a little town in West Virginia, that view, I can honestly say took my breath away.
The Taj is probably the only tourist attraction I've ever seen that lives up to the hype.

Originally Posted by flyhen
City of Lisbon itself.

Cheap, clean, warm, tourist friendly, friendly folks.
Agreed.

Also, might I add Cinque Terre, Italy? I think it's better known now than it was 10 years ago when I went there, but it's about as perfect a slice of Italy as you could ask for.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by littlesheep
This isn't grand or world changing on the scale of many other things mentioned here, but the Clarke Art Institute, stuck in the remote northwest corner of MA, was a very pleasant surprise. Very peaceful surroundings, good art, nice wood floors - and free.
FYI, if you want to return or anyone else wants to go: "free" is seasonal. They charge admission during late spring, summer, and most of the fall - when most of the tourists are around.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
The Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an

The first view you get after you walk up the ramp into the "warehouse" covering the main excavation pit is stunning
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP (qualified MVP for 2011), DL, AA
Originally Posted by mikew99
For me, a not-widely-known attraction that I loved was Hell's Gate, a geothermal attraction in Rotorua, New Zealand.
I was in NZ Nov of '09 and on our trip back up to AKL we stopped at Hell's Gate. It really is a cool some-what unknown attraction...stinky, but still fun.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by thegoderic
The crypt in the Cappuchin church in Rome
Slightly bizarre to see so many bones, but utterly compelling
+1^

A friend who lives in Rome wouldn't tell Mr.Cynnamin and me where he was taking us. We had no idea until I walked-in, and it still took a few moments before I realized what I looking at. It was really creepy and I left after the second room. So weird but I always recommend it to anyone who is going to Rome.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:23 pm
Original Member

I'll add a couple here.

First, the Cathar Castles in Languedoc region of France. Peyrepertuse, Puilaurens, Queribus, etc. are incredible examples of construction on top of mountains and cliffs. In the area is the fortress of Carcassonne, which is more well known, and also a terrific place to visit.

Second, several of the Paradors in Spain are incredible locations. I particularly like the Parador in Jaen (set atop Santa Catalina mountain, overlooking the city of Jaen, the surrounding valleys of olive trees, and the Sierra Nevada mountains in the background); the Parador in Cardona (hotel in a 9th century castle on top of a hill); and the Parador in Oropesa (in a castle dating from the 14th century). The small town of Oropesa is delightful as well.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:34 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
On my first trip to Italy, we did the power tour of the major museums and Cathedrals.

While St. Peters, St. Marks, and the Duomo in Florence were certainly sights to behold, I was most blown away by the small cathedral in Como.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:41 pm

The Capuchin catecombs in Palermo are also well worth a visit.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:46 am

The Hypogeum in Malta.

Orongo in Easter Island.

Bako National Park in Malaysian Borneo.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Silver
Putuoshan (island near Ning Bo, China), a national park with oodles of Buddhist temples. The place is fragrant with incense.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park: it looks like you're closer to Monument Valley than Bismarck.

The National Building Museum in Washington, DC: A free museum, but the quirky building itself is more the attraction than its contents. A little off the beaten path of museums frequented by tourists. Free guided tour is excellent.

Golconda fortress, outside Hyderabad: a citadel inside a castle inside a complex inside over 20 km of walls encircling an old city. Has steps broad enough for elephants to climb.

Kimball Museum in Fort Worth: Contains what is Michelangelo's first known painting. I thought the Metroplex boring until I visited this lovely (and free) jewel.

Cape St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary, Newfoundland: The largest bird colonies in the world accessible by land. Also free, and cheap binocular rentals available if you did not bring yours. The rock covered by gannets is especially stunning --some of the most beautiful birds you'll ever see.

The Canadian Cold War Museum (unofficially called "The Diefenbunker"): A complex designed to house the Canadian government --and a lot of gold-- in the event of nuclear attack. The American counterparts are bigger, but you can actually visit this one!

Many, many more I want to see . . .
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:15 am

After a long and lonely drive down southern New Mexico, White Sands National Monument was really impressive I thought. Climbing up and standing on top of the perfect white sand dunes, totally alone, was quite an experience.

Not sure how well known it is, but Shoshone Point at the Grand Canyon was incredible. As it's about a mile walk and no cars can usually get there thanks to a gate blocking it off, you can often find yourself on your own - a rare thing at that NP. Standing on that little stone precipice, the silence of the place gives you the peace I think you need to fully comprehend what your eyes are seeing.

Last edited by Robbyb; Feb 17, 2011 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by cloudcuckooland
The National Building Museum in Washington, DC: A free museum, but the quirky building itself is more the attraction than its contents.
This is my favorite museum in DC! I am also geekily fond of the Postal Museum.

My spectacular off-the-beaten-path spot: Bulgaria's Buzludzha monument, one of the highlights of our visit to Bulgaria--a crumbling, gigantic abandoned Communist monument that is amazingly sited on top of a bald mountain peak. It is incredible to visit at dusk, when the millions of swallows that live in it are flying around. We were there in the height of tourist season, spent the night at an old Communist-era ski resort a short walk away, and saw no one else there. It was like the last scene in Planet of the Apes, almost. Completely surreal.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:20 am

The Scottish Tattoo held in Edinburgh every year. Or is it every other year, I forget. Anyway, I saw that it was being held at the same time I'd be visiting some years ago and decided to see it just for something to do, but had never heard of it. I've never been a fan of bagpipes, but the Tattoo was very enjoyable and impressive. My favorite band was the aborigines from New Zealand. The combination of bagpipe and didgeridoo.... breath-taking!

I also adore the Korean War memorial on the Mall. Since it's right next to the Vietnam Wall, I think it's a bit over-shadowed. However, the life-size statues trudging through the muck combined with the haunting faces on the wall are quite emotionally powerful.

And this isn't really an attraction, but I used to know someone who lived halfway up the south side of the volcano on Hawaii. (I'm pathetic, I know, but I forget the name of that big volcano.) Modest but pretty house, steeply sloped yard with coffee and mature avocado trees. As if that wasn't wonderful enough, you step behind her house and..... the flat land of South Point sprawls below the steep slope of the volcano below you. You have a 180 degree view of the ocean around South Point. THAT was breathtaking. That's one property that I'm sure has it's value increased a thousandfold from the view alone. The tax assessment probably reads something like "land: 5,000 building: 100,000 view: 100,000,000,000"!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
I really liked Vertigo 42 in London. Great food and drinks, plus a higher view of all London than the top of the London Eye.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I'll throw in another spot in Italy.

Hadrian's Villa. The same guy famed for the wall in the UK built an amazing complex about an hour outside Rome. The best way to describe it was Rome in miniature. There's baths, a theater, tons of buildings, an aqueduct and more. Absolutely spectacular for something 2,000 years old. And the best part, I can't remember seeing another person there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.