Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive flight to Europe in May/June -- need advice - Pretty please ;-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: mainly UA and CO

I am looking for a flight to Germany this summer (end of May till end of June or beginning of July).
Want to depart from BDL, NYC, Boston (in order of importance) and would like to fly to Berlin. I would even fly into any other European city if I find a very low fare and then would try to find a cheap European flight to Germany.

Dates and cities are quite flexible but I am shooting blanks so far -- fares are well over $ 1000 per tickets for airlines with mileage programs (and NO, I don't want to crash with Aeroflot -- which seems to have the cheapest rates).

I tried to find some clues in the "trick it / negotiate it" thread but the since OP's riddle has been removed, it's kind of VERY hard to figure out what they are talking about (plus the 580 pages on this thread are NOT helping).

Can someone please help /// as I need 4 tickets (family with little kids) ?

Any help is truly appreciated.

Last edited by anjam; Jan 22, 2011 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you considered using Priceline's name-your-own-price bidding option? Or placing a bid on this current auction at skyauction.com?

http://www.skyauction.com/action/offer/1896997

If you decide to bid at skyauction.com, be sure to take into account the additional fees, taxes, and processing charges that are disclosed there.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Change your dates to Sept-Oct and watch the prices drop.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: mainly UA and CO
gotta fly out the end of May and return around the end of June --- due to my grandma's birthday during that time ... so September is out
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:43 am

Not sure what you mean by "airlines with mileage programs," but I just checked kayak for similar fares and found all kinds of things for well under $1,000; for instance JFK-FRA ns 5/26-6/28 $787 on Singapore Airlines, slightly more expensive on Aer Lingus similar dates via Dublin.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anjam
gotta fly out the end of May and return around the end of June --- due to my grandma's birthday during that time ... so September is out
Celebrate in early May.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by anjam
Can you tell us please what is your preconception of "inexpensive" round-trip faire to Europe at the start of peak season. History suggests that about $1,000 per head is a standard, even good, rate for that timeframe.

I just looked at Icelandair for you, BOS-BER around your dates, and couldn't generate anything under $962 all in. Move into July, though, and prices almost double from there.

There's less capacity across the Atlantic nowadays owing to the recession, planes are full, prices are high, and the airlines are making money, so I wouldn't look for a big fire sale between now and May.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:24 pm

I'm also finding JFK-TXL Depart: Sun 5/29 Return: Sun 6/26 ns on Air Berlin for $807. I believe this includes fees and taxes. Do I misunderstand what the OP wanted? It seems like there are lots of fares under $1,000.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
for instance JFK-FRA ns 5/26-6/28 $787 on Singapore Airlines, slightly more expensive on Aer Lingus similar dates via Dublin.
If I were to pick given that choice under those pricings, I would take SQ over EI without any hesitation.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:25 am

I got $645 nonstop on Jet to BRU from JFK. I am betting that OP is somewhat xenophobic regarding airlines and is looking for a well known US or European carrier. If that's the case OP you should read up some. SQ and Jet would be considered to be better than most of those well known western carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.