Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Strange request of another to use my computer while I'm on-line at the airport!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm at Luxor airport waiting for my flight to Sharjah, I am surfing on my netbook (the airport has free Wifi) and I also am listening to music on my iPod so I have my earphones on. I suddenly get a wave from this geeky looking xxxxx guy trying to get my attention. Wondering what is happening I remove my earphones and he says "can I check my gmail"......?

My response "sorry, but this is my private computer" and he goes away with a disappointed look. Is this even something reasonable to ask of some random person? I thought it was really bizzare and inappropriate.. in any case I don't allow anyone to use my laptop due to concerns about viruses and such.

Any of you encountered anything like this?

Last edited by obscure2k; Jan 19, 2011 at 6:31 pm Reason: Removed ethnicity of the "geeky looking guy."
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good move on your part. I would never let a stranger who approaches me use my computer for anything. All he has to do is go to whatever site he likes and download a virus or other crap to your computer.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:56 pm

I'm don't even like letting people I know use my laptop so no way on earth I'd let a stranger near it!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
You did the right thing. You have no control over what virus-infected email he might download.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:34 pm
Suspended

that's ballsy
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Agreed, it'd take a split second for him to install a keystroke capture program, and boom - he's got all your passwords.

Unless you've got a Mac, then you're 100% secure no matter what and can loan it out with impunity. According to my Macolyte friends
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I had someone in FLL unplug my computer from its charger and then plugged my charger into their computer. I was about to flip but she was HOT!!!!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I had someone in FLL unplug my computer from its charger and then plugged my charger into their computer. I was about to flip but she was HOT!!!!
Maybe she was hitting on you?

I suddenly get a wave from this geeky looking Indian guy trying to get my attention. Wondering what is happening I remove my earphones and he says "can I check my gmail"......?
"Sure! Let me fire up a virtual machine with a running key logger"
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've gotten specific, timely, relevant requests ("I'd like to see the seatmap for this flight") that I was happy to oblidge. But always I brought up the page for them, never let them at the keyboard.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've had people ask a couple of times, but the answer was always sorry, no.

Both times the next person let them, so apparently it works for them.

I even saw somebody on the train once just stand up and say "There's three MiFi signals in this car, can somebody please let me jump on for a second?"

They didn't get any takers either.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nerd
So what we can take away from this is that all Indians are geeks who would like to install a virtual machine/key logger thingy on your laptop in just a few clicks?
No, the OP specifically mentioned an Indian geek. Non-geeky Indians are trustworthy.

More seriously, while any given stranger who asks to borrow your web browser is probably innocuous, many of us have enough personal info on our computers nowadays that we can't take that risk. Particularly if said computer belongs to our government or corporate employers and contains highly proprietary information.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would no more lend my computer to a stranger than my underwear.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I'd never loan my computer to a stranger. If they really need to check their email they should have brought their own. I know that may sound rude, but I have no way of knowing their intentions.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I don't think the OP was in the wrong for declining the request, but neither do I think the request was particularly unusual and certainly not an indication of some devious or malicious intent.

Laptops, Internet connections, iPods, etc. are not always easy to come by outside the industrialized world; a whole village might share a mobile phone. Depending on the culture, it may be no big deal to ask a stranger for access; I've lent all these things in certain circumstances and had no ill effects. If someone asks me for a stick of gum while standing in line, I'm not going to assume it's because he's trying to poison me .
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
I would no more lend my computer to a stranger than my underwear.
When people have asked me to borrow my computer, I've never reacted as if they've requested to borrow my underwear, unlike the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.