Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying business class-help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Oh one more thing, please don't wear a track suit in the J cabin.
Yes Bermuda shorts, shirt and flip flops are the accepted attire at the front of the bus.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by huntk
NRT: ANA lounges: amazing. Highlights: Showers, sushi, udon noodle bar, sake bar, chocolates are amazing. 2 to choose from, one is nicer than the other (larger and has windows)(Satelite 5 by gate 55, the other (SAT 4, gate 46) is in the basement but still has all of the "stuff" the other one has. It really depends on how much time you have, where you plane arrives (what gate) and what gate your departing plane is leaving from.
The sushi I've had over there were by far the best sushi I've had among various lounges I've been in that have them. ^
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
you should also run through the airport screaming 'out of the way!! I m in business class!!!'

to be repeated while pushing through crowds at gate

Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
Originally Posted by rankourabu
you should also run through the airport screaming 'out of the way!! I m in business class!!!'

Actually while I was in the UK over Christmas I watched the delays at LHR on tv and a gate attendant was shown telling everyone that the flight was canceled ... the crowd groaned but one passenger pushed forward and asked "does that apply to business class too?" :-)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
1+2. If you're not Star Alliance Gold, then you're limited to the lounge that the particular carrier uses. If you don't know, make sure you ask when checking in.
That's not right.

Your carrier will grant access to whatever lounges they want, usually it'll be their business class lounges except in unusual cases like upgrade certificates or last minute upgrades. Sometimes that carrier won't have a lounge and they'll have a contract lounge or another non-*A lounge they give you access to. Sometimes they won't have anything at all.

But in addition to that flying business class on any Star Alliance carrier grants you access to any other Star Alliance business class lounge in the airport you can get to.

And they might not tell you about this as they'll just tell you about their own lounge which might be cheaper for them. For example in SFO flying UA in business class they'll only tell you about their own business class lounge, not the SQ SK lounge. (though SQ might be closing access to this lounge now) Most airports won't have multiple *A lounges to choose from. Only large hubs like Heathrow or unusual cases like SFO would fall into this category.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone who enjoys public attention and/or feels extra important would certainly not mind doing that!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond

ok, ok, Just Strike A Pose and shashay into the plane, dark sun lgasses on and a cigar in ther hand...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Don't be shocked by the quality of cabin on the ANA BKK-NRT leg. ANA uses their oldest planes and a very old recliner business seat on that route. Thai would have been a much better choice on the way back again.

But who knows, maybe by October they would have upgraded those old planes.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by travjud
4. Do we leave the lounge and get to the departure gate on our own or is there a different gate for business class passengers?
Last time I flew business class I waited in the lounge and they drove the plane over and picked me up on the way out of the terminal.

Ron.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by zkzkz
But in addition to that flying business class on any Star Alliance carrier grants you access to any other Star Alliance business class lounge in the airport you can get to.
I've always thought entry into other *A lounges was a function of *A status and not the J ticket.

Mind you, I've always had *A Gold anytime I've flown in J so I don't have first-hand experience in this.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
If in doubt about my ticket/membership status. for entry to the lounge, when I check in or drop by bag at the baggage drop-off desk I always ask "do I need an invitation for the lounge". In some airports you do... so it;s not an unusual thing to ask and they'll hand you an invitation if you qualify and if they are needed, or tell you if you don't qualify on your particular membership/flight combination.

The only other thing you have to be aware of is the advice already given by someone else on this thread that the airline will always direct you to their own lounge or contracted lounge - which may not be the best one that you have access to. So you should research available lounges online - find out where they are and either ask ahead or try.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:43 am

I've always thought entry into other *A lounges was a function of *A status and not the J ticket.

Mind you, I've always had *A Gold anytime I've flown in J so I don't have first-hand experience in this.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

International Business Class Customers: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.
Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international Business Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class
Customer is not entitled to any guests
It's easiest to think of business class lounges as being part of a business class ticket and 1st class lounges as part of a 1st class ticket. This is the main reason for them to exist. Lounges are part of the service level expected of business class and 1st class tickets.

Think of *Gold as a special benefit giving you access to some of these even on economy tickets.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by soconn
Actually while I was in the UK over Christmas I watched the delays at LHR on tv and a gate attendant was shown telling everyone that the flight was canceled ... the crowd groaned but one passenger pushed forward and asked "does that apply to business class too?" :-)
Very funny!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Access to star alliance lounges is also based on class of travel. So J boarding pass gets access to all J star alliance lounges.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
You learn something every day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.