Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the worst first-class seat you have ever had?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the worst first-class seat you have ever had?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
AA F seats on the ex-TWA 757s.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Perhaps.

But the worst domestic 2 class F product I have flown on in the US (US) is better, comfort wise, than intra-European 2 class Business Class on the likes of BA, LH, etc.

Originally Posted by Kasar
The rest of the world is still (mostly) sane and honest when it comes to naming the class of their product.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Egyptair 777 has to be hands down the worst long haul first class product. Seat, food, service are all abysmal. And it's a dry airline, so can't even drown your sorrows.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
UA/PVG setting in 3A waking up to about 5 FA having a hen party, and laughing loud...so much for sleeping on a long flight...
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been told by many of my work colleagues to avoid Air India when traveling to India. I've headed their warnings, so I can't say how bad it is.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Interesting topic...Any first class product for me is a good one; I'm tall, so for me it's the extra legroom. But, I recall some of the older NW jets (DC-9's), where the seat in front of me reclined literally in my lap.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Dividend, Hertz #1 Gold
Spirit. Hands down. bigger, more comfortable seat, but you still have to pay $3 for an Orange Juice on your 7am flight. But it was a lot cheaper that the other airlines so I guess you cant really complain a whole lot..
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, DL Silver/Reserve, VA Silver, SPG Gold, US Air DMS, AA Gold
Worst First Class Seat ?!

I have only flown domestic first class on Northwest, Delta, & US Air. I have flow "business class" many times on AirTran & Spirit. I have found variations from plane to plane, but my worst first class experiences have always been on US Air's A319 first class cabin..but that's just US Air.

I still say any first class / business / premium seat is better than any seat in coach.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by satman40
UA/PVG setting in 3A waking up to about 5 FA having a hen party, and laughing loud...so much for sleeping on a long flight...
I've had to interrupt loud galley conversations more than once in the last 3 months on late night Continental flights.

I try to be diplomatic about it, but the FAs seem to be peeved anyway.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
There are a few options but the worst overall experiences I have had in F is on Yemenia. The entire airline was largely clueless, ground services did not exist. On a flight from Athens to Sana'a a mechanical happened at the stop in Jeddah. Due to a number of improbable events the booze I was carrying to Yemen ended out with me in a hotel in Jeddah at 2AM. I called a friend and gave him the supply. he did not even mind being awakened at 2AM to come to my hotel. Good for my friend, horrible airline.

Cannot complain about US or Europe airlines after the Yemenia experiences.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by aviators99
I have also not flown the various carriers who had E190s with F seats. I can't imagine they are great.
I imagine they are.

If you compare E-jet F against DC-9 F, then in E-jet, there are 4 seats abreast in the back and 3 seats abreast in front. In a DC-9, there are 5 abreast in the back and 4 abreast in front. Thus a DC-9 F has the elbowroom of 1 1/4 coach seats while E190 F has the elbowroom of 1 1/3 coach seat - a clear advantage.
E190 3 abreast F features single seat side, which bigger planes lack.
Also, E190 F is considerably better than CRJ F. Both planes have the width for 4 abreast in coach, but E190 are 17 cm wider. And more headroom: the central ceiling width of E-jet is, at 200 cm, 11 cm higher than the 189 cm of CRJ and comes within 5 cm of the 205 cm height of DC-9.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
I imagine they are.

If you compare E-jet F against DC-9 F, then in E-jet, there are 4 seats abreast in the back and 3 seats abreast in front. In a DC-9, there are 5 abreast in the back and 4 abreast in front. Thus a DC-9 F has the elbowroom of 1 1/4 coach seats while E190 F has the elbowroom of 1 1/3 coach seat - a clear advantage.
E190 3 abreast F features single seat side, which bigger planes lack.
Also, E190 F is considerably better than CRJ F. Both planes have the width for 4 abreast in coach, but E190 are 17 cm wider. And more headroom: the central ceiling width of E-jet is, at 200 cm, 11 cm higher than the 189 cm of CRJ and comes within 5 cm of the 205 cm height of DC-9.
+1 the E190 F experience I have had a couple of times and CRJ a few more. E190 ranks with 737NG in my book. CRJ is another less nice story.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1P; Delta Gold; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; ICH Amb; Marriott Gold
USAgony the worst

I fly UA, DL, and AA quite a bit. Varying degrees of good and bad.

I rarely fly US, and now I remember why. DFW-LAS, a few hour flight in "first".

Plastic cups, no hot nuts, no hot towel, and no meal service on what would have been meal service on any other airline in this class of travel.

The FA's start handing out snack boxes to buy, in coach. NOTHING for first. I ask, hey, can I get one of those snack boxes to go with my beverage in a plastic cup?

I am told, "well, they're $6-$7.00, and we'll see if have any left when we're done selling them in coach". Unbelievable.

A snack box with a cost of a buck or two to the airline, and they can't put a dozen of those away for the passengers in "first"? In lieu of what would be a real meal on any other airline?

Sorry for you guys who fly US on a regular basis . . .
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:00 am

air china, on one of the few flights out of thailand when suvarnabhumi was occupied by the PAD.

they managed to move their planes to chiang mai, where i was.

the seat was ok-ish, but due to the fact that they were improvising, and had no infrastructure in chaing mai, the food was horrible, they only had water and bad coffee, and the inflight entertainment system was down.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Egyptair 777 has to be hands down the worst long haul first class product. Seat, food, service are all abysmal. And it's a dry airline, so can't even drown your sorrows.
Agreed. The only time I have ever flown BA F class was LHR-CAI-LHR, as Y and C were both sold out. The outbound flight was excellent, and I cannot compliment BA enough. On the return flight, the BA 744 went tech, and I was given an F seat on an Egyptair flight. What a let down. The seat was falling apart, the food was bad, and the service was mediocre. Given the choice between Egyptair F and BA premium economy, it would be hard to choose.

(this of course ignores US airlines' dishonest use of "first class" on domestic flights)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.