Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is an Empty Exit Row Section Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Is an Empty Exit Row Section Illegal?

Something that may already have been touched on since the advent of the "pay for extra legroom" era, but I think it's a fair point: Is an aircraft taking off with no one at all in the exit rows a violation of FAA rules?

Was pondering this question while seeing a completely empty 2 exit rows on an A319 from ORD-CLE. All 10 seats were empty (2 seats are removed in row 11). The normal part of E+ was about 2/3 full, and E- was completely full.

If it is not a violation, what do the FA's plan to do in case of an emergency landing? Take volunteers while the plane is going down? I'd think they'd have bigger fish to fry at that point.

Last edited by ramblers63; Dec 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Unsure why you think anyone needs to be in the exit row for safety?
Whatever duties need to be done at the command of the crew can easily be done by the 1st people to arrive after the aircraft comes to a stop.
As for me, in an actual emerg situation, I would just as soon the exit row be empty unless I'm in it....
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
It's a moot point in these days of high loads on every flight.

But no, it is absolutely not illegal to have an empty exit row. Take a hypothetical flight with only 1 pax onboard, who is 14 and doesn't speak English. Would the airline have to find someone just to fill that exit row because said pax isn't eligible to sit in it?

The FAs can handle opening the emergency exits just fine absent pax to help (or hinder, as the case may be).
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:08 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
As far as I know, it's not illegal for the exit row to be empty, as the FAs or able-bodied pax who are first to the exit can open it in an emergency.

What is a violation of FAA rules is for pax who are incapable of opening the exit door to be seated in the exit row, as in an emergency those pax will actually be in the way and impede a fast exit from the plane.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Not so moot of a point. I was on a flight last week and for the 10 seats (2X2 and 3X3) there were only two of us. Loads are lighter.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by reddirt14
Not so moot of a point. I was on a flight last week and for the 10 seats (2X2 and 3X3) there were only two of us. Loads are lighter.
Not really. That flight might have been light but every carrier domestically is operating at or very near record load factors.

Yes, there are a still some empty seats on planes, but with an average 80% load factor they are few and far between.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.