Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the dumbest travel question you've been asked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the dumbest travel question you've been asked?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:35 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
This thread made my MSP-BOS flight a riot. Thanks!

I will try to think of more but the first one that comes to mind and has been a repeat offense. Including a graduate student in Political Science...

random grad student: Where did you go to undergrad?
me: University of Wyoming
random grad student: Oh cool! What state is that in?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Last year, I went on a trip to the US with some family members, including my mother. I was the only on of us who had visited the US before, and it would be my 7th trip, since my first trip three years earlier (so, you could say that I knew what was required to travel from Norway to the US - a machinereadable passport, and a valid ESTA).

At some point before the trip, me and my mother was talking to one of her neighbours, about the trip, and he mentioned the time he was there, and how he would love to go back. He then asked if we had been to the US embassy, to apply for a visa, which we hadn't.

-"Hmm, that was strange. We had to do that, when we were going there".
-"When were you there"?
- "1986"...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by HSDebateCoach
This thread made my MSP-BOS flight a riot. Thanks!

I will try to think of more but the first one that comes to mind and has been a repeat offense. Including a graduate student in Political Science...

random grad student: Where did you go to undergrad?
me: University of Wyoming
random grad student: Oh cool! What state is that in?
Heh, shortly after college, I ran into someone I graduated high school with, and I asked her which college she went to and said "Miami University". Since it was winter in St. Louis and freezing cold, stupid me said "Ah, I bet you miss being down in Florida when it's like this outside". For those of you who don't know, Miami University is in Ohio. So it's not always a stupid question
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Exactly! Had PR instead gone with a good American name like "New Nevada…"
you do realize that the word "nevada" is Spanish, don't you?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA,WN, Hilton Honors, Marriott
I volunteer for Traveler's Aid at IAD. One afternoon, a gentlemen traveling with is wife and 3 teen-age children approached the kiosk, and we had the following conversation:

Me: Can I help you, sir?
Him: (Reaching into pocket and producing a US passport) My passport has expired, and we need to travel today.
Me: I can give you the number for the State Department, they're the folks who renew passports.
Him: You can't do it here?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
How to get an attorney to stop talking

Many years ago on a flight from Denver to Seattle the guy sitting next to me (he was an attorney) asked me why it took 2 1/2 hours to fly from Denver to Seattle but only 2 hours to fly from Seattle to Denver. I had the inflight magazine open on the page with the map of the US so I pointed at the route on the map and said "You see, when you fly from Denver to Seattle your flying UP to Seattle but when your flying from Seattle to Denver, your flying DOWN to Denver". He didn't speak to me for the rest of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.