Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Large currency denominations COMMONLY in use

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by kebosabi
BTW, I believe Japan also has the highest denomination coin in regular use in the world: the 500 JPY coin (worth close to $6 today)
highest value.

Highest denomination is currently a 5000 dong coin in Vietnam.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I have never had a problem using the Euro 200 notes in western European, and only some hesitation a couple of times with the Euro 500 notes.

Seeing the C$1000 notes brought back a thought. Because my father used to travel a lot, mother kept a variety of foreigh money in a safe at home. When he retired, they did not need the currency as much. Back in 1996, when I went to Banff for my birthday, Mother mailed 4 of the C$1000 notes to me ..... my birthday present (nice!) and a way to get rid of the money they obviously did not need. The bills were from the 1960s and had changed format several times since then.

Luckily, I went to the bank in Banff on our first day in town, because they had to send the bills to a major affiliate (maybe similar to US federal reserve bank???) in Calgary, to verify the bills' authenticity and the cash them in ..... before I could get current and smaller bills.

I also carry in my passport case a Zimb bank note (I think in a demonination of 50) just for fun. It's worth about US$0.000000000001 these days!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by u2fan
I would think another reason the Japanese prefer big bills is to avoid ATM fees. The banks in Japan charge their own customers to use their ATM's at night and weekends (because these are after banking hours). Larger withdrawals mean fewer withdrawals and fewer fees.
Korea does this as well, and I believe Korea has some of the highest card penetration in the world. Its actually illegal for a merchant to not accept cards (that doesnt stop some markets from not accepting them though)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Sandra_D
I have often wondered about that. Are there stores in the Euro zoen that actually accepts €500 bills? I once even saw an ailrine ticket counter agent declining to accept a couple of those €500 bills from a passenger. He ended up going downstairs to a bank and came back with €100 bills.
All these posts about what people refuse to accept -- people should not tolerate this. A €500 note is "legal tender" within the Euro zone, which means that merchants MUST accept it. You cannot legally pick and choose what notes you are going to accept.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by polonius
You cannot legally pick and choose what notes you are going to accept.
Sure you can. Lots of countries allow this. For example in the US and Europe, merchants are not required to accept large bills. And many do not, unless they have a small machine which can verify if the bill is legit or they are willing to take the risk.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
There's one ATM I know of that gives out a combination of $50 and $10. Other than that I've never had a US ATM give out anything other than $20s.
A friend who banks with Citibank tells me that Citi ATM's will give $20 bills for withdrawal amounts less than $300, and a mix of $20s and $50s for anything over $300. Elsewhere in this thread, people mention getting $100 bills from Citi ATM's, so perhaps his info is out of date.

Other than that, I've only seen $20 bills from US ATM's, except in Vegas.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
On another note, ATMs today in Serbia dispense 1000 dinar notes (worth about ten Euros). The machines can only dispense a maximum of 40 notes at a time, so if you want to get $1000 cash (the daily limit on my US account) as I recently did, you have to make two separate withdrawals back to back (and pay two separate fees). Ah well, at least you can do that now.
Prior to the re-denomination of the Ghanaian currency in 2007, the largest banknote in circulation was the 20000 Cedi (worth about $2). Prior to 2005 though, the highest note was the 2000 Cedi (then worth about $0.25), which meant that the largest ATM withdrawal possible was $10 equivalent. With network fees, you actually sometimes wound up paying more in fees than the value of your withdrawal. And the lines on weekends would be horrendous as people often made up to 100 consecutive withdrawals (my personal record was 67 - but thankfully my local bank in Ghana doesn't charge for on-network transactions!). Nowadays the 10 Ghana Cedi (worth 100000 old Cedis) is the standard issue ATM banknote, meaning largest withdrawal is 400 Ghana Cedis (worth around $275). The largest in circulation is the 50 Ghana Cedi note however and the banks are liberal with those for counter transactions.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polonius
All these posts about what people refuse to accept -- people should not tolerate this. A €500 note is "legal tender" within the Euro zone, which means that merchants MUST accept it. You cannot legally pick and choose what notes you are going to accept.
There is a difference between 'legal tender' (the status of the note) and what a shopkeeper etc. may or may not do, they are completely seperate things. The 'invitation to treat' rule applies, certainly within the UK - the shopkeeper has every right to refuse a sale for whatever reason, including large denomination notes or the other common misconception, if an item is marked at the wrong price (they don't have to sell it for the (wrongly) advertised price either).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I also carry in my passport case a Zimb bank note (I think in a demonination of 50) just for fun. It's worth about US$0.000000000001 these days!
Interestingly enough, I do the same....except I carry around a 20 trillion ($20,000,000,000,000) Zimbabwe dollar bank note. Talk about valueless.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Recent one I had to use was the Hungarian Forint. 10,000 and 20,000 (not so much as 10,000) notes are often exchanged daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.