Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer of Checked in Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold Pref. Rwds, Mariott Gold, AA Gold
Transfer of Checked in Luggage

I am using AIRFARE.COM as they are displaying the cheapest fare for a flight from EWR to FRA.

The trip has one stop in BRU (EWR - BRU - FRA)

The first leg is on Jet Airways (EWR - BRU)

The second leg is on Lufthansa (BRU - EWR)

The layover is about 2 hours. Will my checked in luggage automatically transfer between the two carriers? I have called Airfare.com and received two different answers as well as Lufthansa. Need help please.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
The interline transfer "should" be OK. I actually do it all the time, flying from LAX to LHR on AA then on to DUS on BA.

In the 17 years I've been doing that, my bag failed to arrive at my destination exactly once. It was delivered in DUS two days later.

Suggestion: Pack carefully. Don't put anything of particular value in your checked bag. Carry a change of clothes or (at least) a change of underwear in your carryon.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:15 am

Just to point out in case you didn't know already - you will pass through immigration to Schengen at BRU, so don't assume that you have lots of time to make your onward flight
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
call jet for the outbound, lh for the return, if any....good luck...
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
I rate your chances about 50/50.

Virtually all carriers have interline agreements, but this does not mean they read each others barcodes: most do not and the ones that do tend to be in the same alliance (such as AA and BA).

In general, this is what happens in bag rooms. When bags enter the system (BRU) they are scanned and sent to the appropriate pier where they get loaded and brought to the plane. If the scan cannot be read, the bag ends up at a 'runoff' pier where it must be physically carried to the appropriate pier. You are dependent on how often someone comes by to move the bags. (Usually this is an airline rep looking for their own bags.)

There is a less likely method: all the bags are scanned by airport reps before they enter the system. Previous, they had been given a list of outbound flights, and the pier to send these bags to. As they scan the bag tag, they are manually entering the tag number and outbound flight into their terminal. The bag then gets sent to the pier. This is usually far quicker.

Good luck with your flight. BTW do you arrive and depart from the same terminal in BRU?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold Pref. Rwds, Mariott Gold, AA Gold
Not sure of terminals, good point through. Unfortunately I have not gotten a clear answer from the airlines. I have called a few times to each and have gotten different answers.

Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would call and double check to make sure.. and double check when checking in your luggage as well.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Just go with what the checkin staff tells you...

I just flew LAS-LAX-SFO-LHR-DUS on AA and BA (two different tickets) and my checked luggage made it all the way despite being searched by TSA at some point. BA lost my Bags twice on a non-stop LHR-FRA flight so I was quite concerned (and asked BA staff to verify they're in posession of my Bags at SFO and LHR), but despite all those connections, there was no problem at all.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah, it transfers automatically if you are on a single ticket. i think though, if you are on two tickets you gotta transfer it yourself. when it will get there is something else. although some people claim they have "always" gotten their bag upon arrival, i think the numbers are more like 98%, or some such. on transfers with 2 hrs plus between flights, i think we have averaged about that 98%. on the iad-fra-blq with a legal 45min or so transfer, we average about 50%.

that lost bag does not necessarily show up an hour later. in both lhr and led, the bags arrived 3 days later.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: Eurobonus, FlyingBlue, Best Western, SkyMiles
I was supposed to fly KLM via Amsterdam three days ago, which did not happen because of the bad weather conditions in Amsterdam. I was then re-booked (2 days later) to SAS flight from Stockholm to AMS and KLM from AMS to VCE (on the same ticket),, my luggage however never made it to VCE,, I specifically asked both companies what will happen to my luggage and both "guaranteed" it will be transfered automatically and arrive to its final destination.
I filed the report for delayed/missing luggage,, called there in the morning and was told to call back later (after 3pm, because they are busy) but I'm not getting any answers now, since no-one is picking the phone. meh. rant over.

KLM lost my luggage twice in 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.