Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a kick scooter. Feasible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Hi - I'm looking for experiences with traveling with a kick scooter. Any recommendations? How feasible is it really, what models to consider (light and small, but high-quality)? Any other considerations? Thanks so much!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:04 pm

I usually travel by airplane, but I think scooter is feasible if you're not going too far. Unless you live too far north in which case the snow will make it difficult.

Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Hm, I actually meant putting a kick scooter in one's luggage to take it on a plane, but I can see that my wording was a bit ambiguous...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<mod>
We're going to give this thread a new home somewhere that is hopefully more appropriate. I'm not 100% certain I know where that is, but this definitely isn't it.
</mod>
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
I had a friend try this and they made her check it (as its own item). The fact that she rode up to the check-in desk on it probably didn't help, though. YMMV?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Apparently someone else has been thinking the same thing. Saw a combination kick scooter/rollaboard being introduced on a TV show last week (Sorry, I don't recall the name of the scooter or manufacturer). Just think of the handlebar section as a rollaboard with a latch which allows the wheeldeck to fold-down. Latch it back up when you're done zipping from the check-in counter to the gate (or so the manufacturer imagines) and roll it onto the plane.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I suppose you can check the kick scooter at the gate.. If you don't mind having maintenance people inadvertantly kicking your scooter.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Reviving this thread.

Has anyone tried to take a kick-scooter as carry-on on a US domestic flight?

I used to take it on French domestic flights and it was a hit or miss. Depending on the security staff, I had to check it in for about 20% of my flights but that's fine because I have two pieces of free luggage on SkyTeam.

Now next week I'm flying US/UA on which I have no status so checking it in is going to cost me 25 USD, which I'm reluctant to pay, on principle :/
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
For the record, TSA is perfectly fine with kick-scooters. I had an adult-sized all-metal kick scooter, 5kg, slightly longer than carry-on size.
US Airways was fine with it too. I just shoved it in the overhead luggage compartment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.