Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Getting Into the Lavatory

Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: TopBonus, Miles&More

I hope never to need to do this but Lifehacker had this tip about unlocking the airplane lavatory from the outside which i thought might be of interest to some here.

http://lifehacker.com/5673800/how-to...om-the-outside

but use this super power only for Good!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: BA, EI & VS
I have observed the FA doing that for years now prior to take-off/landing. Though I have yet to see a passenger do that for his/her own entertainment, lol.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Is it the same procedure on both Airbus and Boeing aircraft?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by CAPTVOY
I have observed the FA doing that for years now prior to take-off/landing. Though I have yet to see a passenger do that for his/her own entertainment, lol.
I'm not so worried about passengers unlocking the lav doors, but rather locking an empty lav when nobody is looking just for the sake of pissing off other passengers who will think that some diva is taking ages with her make-up.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: BA, EI & VS
Originally Posted by aster
I'm not so worried about passengers unlocking the lav doors, but rather locking an empty lav when nobody is looking just for the sake of pissing off other passengers who will think that some diva is taking ages with her make-up.
Ha ha, that would be hilarious!

However, I think a FA would knock and check, worst case scenario, they may think a passenger had collapsed in the lavatory and need help, only to find no one there.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Yep, I saw this done by an FA several years ago. Never tried it myself.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
Out of Order Lavatory

Originally Posted by sobore
Yep, I saw this done by an FA several years ago. Never tried it myself.
I saw a US flight attendant unlock an "out of order" lavatory so she could use it. I called her on it on the out of the aircraft. She flipped out and followed me down the jetway. Pretty funny IMHO
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:51 pm

I once had a situation where the FA apparently locked the lavs before take-off, but didn't unlock them once we were in the air. It took several minutes of standing around before we realized what happened. She knocked just to be sure before unlocking the empty lav.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P
Originally Posted by William13
But, I will surely use it for evil!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
On some airbus, there's a latch, which latches the door at the top. Also there's a latch to take the door off the rails so it would swing open. (this is for the two-part door that you push). I saw a pax once try forever to open the door. He ended up taking it off the rail (nobody inside the lav), but the hilarity ensued when he couldn't put it back on to close it!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyforSAP
I saw a US flight attendant unlock an "out of order" lavatory so she could use it. I called her on it on the out of the aircraft. She flipped out and followed me down the jetway. Pretty funny IMHO
It's possible, unless you also followed her in and watched what she did there, that she just had to wash her hands, freshen her lipstick or do something else that didn't require using its main facility.

As for following you down the jetway: given that she had to stay on board until all the passengers had left, and that there's usually just one jetway out of the plane, what else was she supposed to do?

(I wasn't there and don't know what happened, but it may not be as sinister as it first appears.)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Palal
On some airbus, there's a latch, which latches the door at the top. Also there's a latch to take the door off the rails so it would swing open. (this is for the two-part door that you push). I saw a pax once try forever to open the door. He ended up taking it off the rail (nobody inside the lav), but the hilarity ensued when he couldn't put it back on to close it!
haha

I've seen the FAs lock the 757 lavs with a small screw driver or their finger by lifting the latch, and sliding..
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by William13
Originally Posted by skaven
But, I will surely use it for evil!
I promise to use this power only for my own good
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Efrem
It's possible, unless you also followed her in and watched what she did there, that she just had to wash her hands, freshen her lipstick or do something else that didn't require using its main facility.

As for following you down the jetway: given that she had to stay on board until all the passengers had left, and that there's usually just one jetway out of the plane, what else was she supposed to do?

(I wasn't there and don't know what happened, but it may not be as sinister as it first appears.)
She was hugely embarrassed that someone had caught her. She followed me down the jetway making all manner of excuses. The aircraft was not yet empty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.