Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pilot Dons SF Giants Cap in PHL - Harmless Fun or Recklessness?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold

As flight from PHL to ORD was finishing boarding on Wednesday, the pilot stood at the front of the A319 and asked if there were any Phillies fans on board. After many pax raised their hands and cheered, the pilot announced that the crew was SFO-based, and were cheering for the Giants. He then showed a SF Giants cap, placed it on his head for all to see, and walked back into the cockpit. During the flight he reappeared to use the lavatory, and was still wearing the cap.

Not all on board were from Philly or Phillies fans. But I couldn't help but wonder what the consequences would be if there was an incident. If a pax yelled an anti-Giants epithet at the pilot, could he be taken off the plane as a security risk? Given the reputation of Philly sports fans (although largely untrue), I wonder if the pilot's attempt to have a little fun was a responsible act.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Seems harmless and most people probably had a chuckle. But if he did it after the Giants knock them off, it might be different.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Absolutely harmless fun!
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:26 am

Red face

My F/O was wearing a pink tie yesterday in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness. Should I not let him fly the rest of the trip?

I wore a pink polo shirt last year on a few legs for the same reason. Should I have removed myself from the trip, put on my regular shirt, or just go with the flow?

FAB
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by freshairborne
My F/O was wearing a pink tie yesterday in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness. Should I not let him fly the rest of the trip?

I wore a pink polo shirt last year on a few legs for the same reason. Should I have removed myself from the trip, put on my regular shirt, or just go with the flow?

FAB
Not entirely sure how this is the same

I do think it was in good fun and not out of line. Now the scene might have been different if they were boarding the plane from the 700 level of the Vet 20 or 30 years ago.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I am not a Ginats fan, but so what? He violated no safety rule I've ever heard of. Why not? Fun is hard to come by sometimes.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Harmless fun until he asks the Phillies fans to fly with the cargo.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:54 am

Just good ol' fun. Nice to have a crew with a little bit of humor.

It might be a different story if he was wearing a cap that had a picture from George Dubya and read "Evildoer" or one with an American flag and read, "Tea Party Patriot"
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
FAB, of course there's nothing really wrong with the pilot's expressing his loyalty to the Giants. This really has to do with the reputation of Philly sports fans as rowdy and rude, although largely fictitious. Just last week several Cincinnati Reds players complained that they don't like to play in Philly out of fear for their well-being.

Given this reputation, I wondered if the pilot was unintentionally instigating a negative reaction. I'm not faulting him in any way, just speculating given what the country seems to think about Philly fans.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Harmless and funny. It's not like he dressed up like Santa Claus.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:59 am

harmless fun....too bad he won't think its funny 4 games from now.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It would depend on whether you are a Giants or Phillies fan, and your sense of humor.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: British Airways Silver; SAS Silver
Sounds like you're buying too much into the TSA-style paranoia. Really now.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Harmless and funny. It's not like he dressed up like Santa Claus.
As the article states, that was a worthless excuse for a Santa. We don't tolerate that.

And this pilot is ballsy, but it's that kind of brashness that would be respected by us Philly Phans. He would be subject to a line of questions to determine if he were a true fan, sure. Probably have to accept a few below the belt remarks. But if he could accept that in good fun, we'd be fine with him.

It's the stupid fans of opponents who can't take a good ribbing or who lack any real knowledge of the team they 'support' that we give hell to.

Or NY Football Giants fans. And Cowboys fans. Mets fans too. You've got no chance wearing those colors in Philly and redeeming yourself.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
As a Dodgers fan, I would have refused the flight, and demanded a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.