Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel to Europe in business/first using miles/points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Planning my fiancee's and my honeymoon next year in Europe, where we will be hitting up a lot of cities, the main ones being London, Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, and Zurich. I'm working on the best way to use miles or points to book either business or first class tickets.

It would either be round-trip LAX to LHR or an open jaw where the return is ZRH to LAX.

She's got ~140k AA miles while I have 79k AA miles. I've also got 180k AMEX MR and can advance another 60k (I'd have no problem earning that back in 12 mo).

First thought was AA reward, but at the very least that would involve a $150 miles transfer from her account to mine. I'd prefer not to outlay any cash, so MR transfers then came to mind. I've heard vague references once or twice on here that some airlines won't let you use transferred miles for TATL flights, but I'm not sure on the details or where to find them. If using MR, we'd like VS or BA, but if there are other good possibilities, we're open to them.

So to sum up:
1. Given the above, what's the best use of miles/points to get business/first tickets?
2. For redemptions, is there a difference in getting the LAX-LHR round trip versus LAX-LHR/ZRH-LAX?
3. Are there any restrictions I have to workaround for MR to FF program transfers? If so, are they per airline or across the board?
4. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help! Sorry if this is the wrong forum; it was the closest fit I could find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.