Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Please Help me with my Luggage options (excess charges etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

I'm flying to OPO for a year. My current booking allows me 28 kgs of baggage (one piece).

I will most likely also be travelling from OPO -> FRA for a long stay (several months); OPO -> CDG (short stay, a month or so); Possibly returning back after a year or so from OPO or FRA to BLR.

LIS has more options (ie non-ridiculously priced one way fares). So when I move, OPO->LIS may be one option as an initial segment on TAP airlines.
TAP charges 5 euros per kg above 20.

I'm wondering how I should carry my baggage. On my current flight, I could carry one big suitcase of 28 kgs. Howeer, in the future, I might want to use British Airways to go to BLR or FRA (Lufthansa charges an arm and a leg for baggage beyond 20kgs); in which case it might be best to split the baggage into 2 pieces (british airways has 23kgx2 allowance; or $50 for a bag upto 32kgs).

Is the current generous 28kg allowance not of much use due to my future travel plans?

Yet another option is to fill up the big suitcase only to say 25kgs, and pad up the suitcase with a pillow to avoid crushing the suitcase itslef (its a nice suitcase).
Then, in the future, for 20-23kg travel segments, throw out some unimp stuff, and carry the pillow padded suitcase.

BTW, the one way flight charges from OPO->BLR are ridiculous, a round trip fare is coming out to be less expensive.

Any suggestions?
The current 28kg allowance is so enticing, but I'm apprehensive that I would have to throw away stuff in my future journeys..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.