Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Customs for International Flight connections?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs for International Flight connections?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 10:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
anywhere outside schengen zone (e.g. LHR, DXB)
But, to be clear, this would mean clearing the Schengen exit immigration check in PRG.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by thewhitezone
Reviving this thread to ask for some current info... if I am flying PRG to JFK, connecting at CDG, will I have to go through customs upon arriving in CDG if all I want to do there is get on my next plane to JFK ?
PRG - go through security
CDG - go through passport control
JFK - passport control + customs

reverse:
JFK - security
CDG - passport control and maybe security
PRG - customs
Old May 30, 2016, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is no customs check exiting Schengen on this itinerary.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:59 am

Int'l flight SFO-HKG-SIN-MLE

I have a question about flying from SFO to HKG to SIN to MLE. I am flying Alaska Airlines to HKG and changing to Singapore Airlines in HKG to Singapore. I only have 1hr 25min layer over in HKG. Since it's different airlines I will need to pickup my luggage and and recheck them in at Singapore Airlines. Is 1hr 25mins enough time to do that? Will I need to go through security or customs before boarding my flight to Singapore? I've never flown into HKG or SIN and want to be sure I have allowed myself enough time. Plus,
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:41 am
Suspended

Yes, you will need to complete all immigration and customs formalities in HKG. Then you will need to check in again for your flight to SIN. Even if your flight is on time (I was not aware AS flies to HKG), you are really cutting it close, and I suspect your chance of making the checkin deadline are about 25%. If you do not make the checkin deadline, you will seemed a no-show and all future flights on that ticket, including the return, will auto-cancel and you really have no protection. You’d need to buy a new ticket to SIN/MLE. I would aim to arrive in HKG with a much greater cushion.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by glennbrassel
I have a question about flying from SFO to HKG to SIN to MLE. I am flying Alaska Airlines to HKG and changing to Singapore Airlines in HKG to Singapore. I only have 1hr 25min layer over in HKG. Since it's different airlines I will need to pickup my luggage and and recheck them in at Singapore Airlines. Is 1hr 25mins enough time to do that? Will I need to go through security or customs before boarding my flight to Singapore? I've never flown into HKG or SIN and want to be sure I have allowed myself enough time. Plus,
As Alaska doesn't fly to Hong Kong, I imagine you are on a codeshare operated by another airline (Cathay or Singapore?). Is all of this on one ticket or have you purchased separate tickets for each leg of the journey?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:11 pm

I read my flight info wrong (ding dong moment). We're on Alaska from BNA to SFO, and we are on Singapore from SFO to HKG to SIN. Same airline thank goodness, but does 1hr and 25mins allow enough time to go through customs and check into our next flight?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:12 pm

It's all booked through expedia.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You might want to take a look at this thread: Is a 1hr transfer time at Hong Kong airport doable?
Also, because it's Singapore Airlines specific, you may get more knowledgeable answers about this connection in the Singapore Airlines forum.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
we are on Singapore from SFO to HKG to SIN. Same airline thank goodness, but does 1hr and 25mins allow enough time to go through customs and check into our next flight?
You should not need to do anything at HKG other than go through transit security and proceed to the gate. SQ will give you both boarding passes at SFO, and your luggage will be through-checked. No immigration or customs formalities at HKG in your situation. If it's on one ticket, then it meets the published "minimum connect time" for your situation. I would not worry about it. If you happen to miss the connection, then SQ is responsible to take care of you.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
It's all booked through expedia.
The key question is: is this a single ticket​​​​​​? Expedia may have sold you a risky combination of separate tickets. If so, each ticket obliges the carrier(s) involved to get you to the destination on that ticket and no further. If they get you there too late to catch your ongoing flight, that flight's carrier can cancel the reservation including any return legs.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Look at your e-ticket receipt. Forget about itineraries, bookings, and other industry jargon. If you are on one e-ticket, you are connecting or possibly stopping over. If on separate e-tickets, you are on two entirely separate journeys.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you sure you'll need to recheck your bags at HKG? Do you have one ticket or two? AFAIK AS and SQ do interline, so you need to check details carefully.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I read my flight info wrong (ding dong moment). We're on Alaska from BNA to SFO, and we are on Singapore from SFO to HKG to SIN. Same airline thank goodness, but does 1hr and 25mins allow enough time to go through customs and check into our next flight?
Sounds like your on SQ 1. This is same plane service from SFO-HKG-SIN. You will just need to clear security, no Immigration/Customs, and continue on with the flight to SIN. Time wise, plenty of time.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:02 am
Suspended

As always, the details are very important.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.