Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which aircraft's engine sound do you like best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which aircraft's engine sound do you like best?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:44 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Red face Which aircraft's engine sound do you like best?

As the risk of being stereotyped as a sad "planespotter" for starting such a thread ...

I've flown on a variety of passenger aircraft over the years and you tend to have your favourites as far as engine sounds go.

My all time favourite is the initial drone of the de Havilland (now Bombardier) Dash-8's engines immediately after the props have spun up and stabilized.

Tied in joint second would be the sound during take-off roll of the Boeing 777 GE-90 engines and the Boeing 777-400 RR engines.

I certainly haven't flown on all possible passenger aircraft, but in my opinion the Dash-8 would take some beating.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:49 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Q400 (modern Dash-8) has higher-tech props so quieter but still the same thrumming (som maybe better, or not depending on how loud you want it). No jet can match that sound (tips of the props are supersonic, causing the sound).
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:33 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Without a doubt the startup of a GE90-115B after push back on a 777-300ER ^^ First one side, than the other. Experienced it an uncountable number of times but still gives me a special thrill every time. I get chills thinking about it.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A PW R-1830 radial on a DC3. No better aircraft engine noise than a piston radial
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Whatever engines were on TWA L-1011's. Sitting in the small rear cabin, those things had a very comforting bass rumble, especially on approach/landing.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A PW R-1830 radial on a DC3. No better aircraft engine noise than a piston radial
4 Wright turbo-compounds on a DC-7C or L1049. Sometimes that was subsequently reduced to 3 though .

More modern, the Dash-7 in which the revs and noise didn't seem to change at all throughout the flight.

Jets - straight-pipe water-injected 707 or anything with RR Speys.

Modern jets - pah !
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Absolutely. Turbine engines are wimps compared to a radial at startup. When I was in airplane mechanics school we partnered with another student to rebuild a carburetor for a radial engine. One of us would go to the cockpit to start the engine, while the other stood by the engine to adjust the carburetor. This meant standing between the moving propeller and the exhaust to manipulate various settings so the engine would run. Great fun.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
^ Music from the past....
Then there's the harsh clatter (and occasional "bang") of an S2F or C1A warming up.
Few sound experiences match the all enveloping roar of a low pass by a P-47 "balls to the wall."
For us old prop guys, there's always the meory of 4 Turbo-compound 3350s, a full symphony of mechanical ingenuity.
Orchestral? A "strike' of a half dozen loaded A1 Shyraiders flying off in succession

Then there was real "noise", an F4 Phantom on a bolter or wave off..."Wham, Bamm, Thank you, Maam!"

Last edited by TMOliver; Aug 27, 2010 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
For the full radial sound the B-36 was the best.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:07 am

the sound the airplane made in the movie airplane!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The R-3350 in a Connie was wonderful. I grew up under the flight pattern of DCA and would always look up when one went overhead. Yeah, the Connie rattled when you rode in it, but that was part of the charm.

For turbine aircraft, my favorite is the Rolls RB211 on an L1011. Very unique, and very familiar sounds..... (lots of time riding in DL L10's.)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
PW JT8D's and RR RB211s... I would also have to say the GE CF34s too..(found on CRJs)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Rolls Royce Spey on the BAC-111. You certainly knew when one of them was taking off. Must have been brutal to live around an airport where there was a lot of them using it.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
How can you not love the sound of the 747? Queen of the skies, four engines baby!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Any Airbus - the whine reminds me of why my Ex is my Ex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.