Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

has anyone ever been on a flight that had an emergency landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Just curious if you have. If you did, would you mind telling us the story? Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:58 pm

Shot down once. Pilot got the Silver Star for landing a burning C-130.

Since then, rough flights have not bothered me.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
In June 2001 I was on a NWA DC-10 to LGW and there was a bomb threat on the plane and we made an emergency landing in DTW and they made us sit on the plane while they found the person and his/her suitcase for offloading. And this was just two months before 9/11.

Delta747
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:44 pm

May 2000 at Bombay

May 29th, 2000 -- Northwest flight taking off from BOM for AMS, heard a "sound" and then saw a passenger RUN to the back of the plane while we were still taking off (airplane in inclined position). A bit later, heard an annoucement that we would be heading back to Bombay (now Mumbai) - we had a hydraulic failure in one of the engines. That passenger who was running during take off was seated close to the engine and had possibly seen something out the window that he wanted to share with the flight attendants. Dumped fuel for an hour and then landed back in Bombay welcomed by fire trucks and the whole nine yards.

Last edited by learningtime; Aug 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I was aboard a CO 757 that landed with partial hydraulic failure at SEA some years ago. First we knew something was up was just as we turned into final, when the captain announced that we would see a bunch of emergency equipment lining the runway on touchdown, but not to worry. Nothing untoward happened; we rolled out safely. Technically an emergency landing but no big deal.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes a few times. It is to be expected if you fly hundreds or thousands of flights.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Yup, wrote about it in the DL forum.

Long story short, we were flying MSP-ORD. Noticed we overshot ORD and kept going past downtown over the lake. Almost halfway to Michigan, we turned and pilot got on to let us know we had experienced a hydraulic failure in the landing gear. Landed without incident, although the runway was lined with more emergency vehicles than I've ever seen. After a bit of a wait, we were towed to the gate. Felt remarkably calm given that I was with my family and my sister's family, each of us with 2 young kids.

Details at the link above.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:32 pm

Yes, I've been there a few times.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ings-week.html
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Once, very undramatic.

Took off from SLC for Calgary some time ago on a B-727. Noticed that we were climbing more slowly than usual and heard a sound like a bowling ball rolling around in the trunk of a car. Then we turned around and landed.

Once back on the ground, the captain explained over the PA that one of the cargo doors wasn't properly shut. It would blow open and be sucked to the intake of one of the rear-mounted engines. The engine would flame out. That would release the door, which would go back into place, allowing the engine to restart, and pull the door ... repeat ad infinitum.

I was going to Calgary to meet friends and drive to Edmonton together. I just rebooked on the next flight to Edmonton and met them there. The rebooking agent was so happy that I didn't need any of their remaining Calgary capacity, and that I was actually OK with the situation (as opposed to the passenger in front of me, who ranted at her as if a poorly secured baggage hold door was her fault) that she upgraded me! Because this was pre-SkyMiles DL, I even got a class of service bonus. (No more miles other than that, though, since both SLC-YYZ and SLC-YEG are under the then-1000-mile minimum segment credit.)
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
When i was a youngster i was on a BA flight that took an emergency landing at heathrow i think it was due to a landing gear problem. I cant recall the details though.

A friend was on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tLF-3d3PJk
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA ExP
LH flight, MUC-FCO. There was a loud bang and smoke started to come out of the engine. We immediately banked and headed back to Munich on one fewer engine. The pilots repeatedly tried to restart the engine without any success. Landed with lots of emergency vehicles lining the runway. At first my mom (who was along) vowed to not get back on a plane to fly to Rome and insisted we take the train, but when we reminded her that we'd need to either fly back (from Paris in about 2.5 weeks) or take a boat, she relented.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Twice, both medical. First case was in the 80's on an AC flight..don't remember where I was going, I remember I was departing YYZ. A 7 year old boy had to have an emergency appendectomy.

The second time was around 2003, Aer Lingus Schipol to Dublin. Some lady had a stroke and we diverted to Gatwick.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Was flying DFW-ZRH on an AA 767, I took my very strong sleeping pill after take off. About an hour into flight as I was about to seriously fall asleep pilot says we are going to land in JFK and switch aircraft. Couldn't keep my eyes open drowsed till woken for landing. Emergency equipment all around the runway though very smooth landing....

Went to lounge drowsy for 1.5 hrs as they moved all the luggage etc to new aircraft...
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yep, once, a Northwest 747 NRT-DTW that diverted to ANC due to a medical emergency onboard. Was taken care of quickly - probably 90 minutes on the ground in Anchorage - but by the time we got to Detroit we'd missed all of our connections and were stuck for the evening.

Interestingly, I happened to be seated in the exit row of Y on this flight, across from two flight attendant jumpseats. From chatting with them, they had quite a few years of experience but this was their first medical diversion in their career - sounds like while diversions happen, they're uncommon enough to not be an everyday occurrence.

Also, if you've made it this far in the thread and not clicked through to B747-437B's trip report, you'd better go do it right now. Fantastic travel writing and I enjoyed every minute of reading it - seriously, go check it out, it's well worth your time.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Does anyone know if there is a video of Peter Burkill's landing or the radio recording?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.