Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

which airlines do NOT allow passengers to bring their own food onboard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which airlines do NOT allow passengers to bring their own food onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by TMOliver
On a couple of occasions my "Kippy" bag has contained naught but 4 miniature bottles of decent whisk(e)y. One TSAer did give the bag a second look, while on the other occasions, the contents seem to have gone un-noticed. Now, that's what we need, 3 ounce plastic flasks....

For years, before the TSA and liquid-less flying, I always carried a little booze, and don't ever remember being challenged by an FA in Economy. I suspect that the airlines "prohibit" the practice, but the only active discouragement would come if an FA actually witnessed the "pour' from bottle to plastic cup (or swigging straight from the jug). Now, if you order a cup of ice, they might be suspicious...
Hmm didnt know you could bring it through! Now when I know I will have long layovers ill have to bring a bottle or 2. I did once ask a Fa for a cup of ice, got a funny look but then saw my giant bottle of water I had too.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by greenery-travel
SX tried that. It (the airline) lasted < 1 yr.
NB had an explicit ban too. They didn't last either. Kind of a satisfying pattern, when you think about it.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, when I take my food on and they are all off having a chat/sleep/playing scrabble/reading mags and I eat my sandwich, how does the food police monitor this?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
On a couple of occasions my "Kippy" bag has contained naught but 4 miniature bottles of decent whisk(e)y. One TSAer did give the bag a second look, while on the other occasions, the contents seem to have gone un-noticed. Now, that's what we need, 3 ounce plastic flasks....
I like you

My assumption would be it's more to keep people from getting blitzed on their own bottle of cheap vodka than anything else. If the only alcohol served is that bought from the crew, they can monitor intake and cut you off. If you're nursing your own 40 of booze, they can't do that. Add in the amount of air rage incidents we see with the "passenger was intoxicated" tagline right afterwards, and I can't say I blame them.

Not that it stops me from imbibing single servings of liquor if I have them with me But I'm not a rowdy drunk, and unlikely to get so drunk I can't walk. (ok I've come close once or twice, but it was champagne! And it was GOOD!)
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by marble
Indeed, it's against FAA rules for a passenger to drink alcohol not served to them by an FA. I imagine most aviation authorities have a similar rule - here in the UK it's illegal to be drunk on an airplane.
I depends on how you define "drunk". I would imagine a fair percentage of passengers will have a high level of alcohol in them - but airlines don't mind as long as you are well behaved and/or asleep. Being drunk is not a problem - it's being rowdy and acting drunk, that can get you in deep (and expensive) trouble.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:57 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
In the United States, apparently any parent has the power to claim their kids has an "allergy" and force the flight attendant to make an announcement (after everyone's boarded and the door's closed) that nobody is to eat whatever food it is the parent claims there's an allergy to.

This happened to me this morning.

So the point is, you never know. You may be denied the ability to eat your food for any arbitrary reason at any time.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I know of four Asian LCCs that prohibit bringing your own food on board:

Jetstar Asia (including ValuAir)
Tiger Airways
AirAsia
Firefly

There may be others.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
When the aircraft landed passengers were told to remain in their seats... and then, to everybody's amazement, the flight was boarded by armed police and the hapless beer-drinkers were dragged off the aircraft.

My brother hasn't flown Ryanair since...
Amazing that they would bring in the authorities after the plane had landed at its destination, especially since they weren't causing any trouble. What exactly did that do for the airline since everyone was disembarking anyway?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
For years, before the TSA and liquid-less flying, I always carried a little booze, and don't ever remember being challenged by an FA in Economy. I suspect that the airlines "prohibit" the practice, but the only active discouragement would come if an FA actually witnessed the "pour' from bottle to plastic cup (or swigging straight from the jug). Now, if you order a cup of ice, they might be suspicious...
I think most airlines have been edgy about booze for years, I was even approached by an FA on a QF flight some 15 years ago cause she saw a small can of beer in my hand... a brand that they weren't serving themselves. She mentioned that consuming one's own alcohol is prohibited onboard and asked me how many cans I have. Of course I replied, "just this one." That seemed to be ok with her so she went off to continue with her other duties... while I sneakily replaced my current can with a new one every 10-15 mins for the next hour until I went through my 6-pack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.