Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airline will you never fly again, and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF

Here in Australia I have a lot of friends that do business in the US. They regularly fly the SYD-LAX or MEL-LAX routes and I was discussing this with them the other day. Without fail all 5 of us agreed that we would never fly United again based on the experiences we had. Considering that between us we fly to the US about 25-30 times a year that is a pretty significant amount of lost revenue.

My reason for never flying them again is because of a flight I had with them in 2007. I was in coach and had managed to score the exit row seats, sitting next to two other men and we all got chatting. We all ordered beers with our meals and were perfectly civil. However when we ordered a second beer we were told by the rude FA that we were already too drunk.

Secondly, our meals were the worst I've ever had on a plane ever. I always used to wonder why Americans used to complain about airline food so much, and now I knew. The meal consisted of a hamburger patty, 2 baby carrots and potato mash that had congealed to the point of being like jelly.

And finally the lack of individual screens for a 14+ hour flight in 2007 is totally unacceptable.

I'll be updating this thread soon with the reason why I'll never fly Air India again but for now I'll leave it to you: Which airline will you never fly again and why?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Spanair

Once and never again.

No room whatsoever after a 2,5 hour flight, I had serious back pain - I normally even sleep on Ryanair, no Service, and a near miss on approach to MAD (wasn't there a major incident a few years back?).

I was booked on a LH Ticket (codeshare) and still don't understand why LH would be willing to ruin their good name by codesharing with them.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:34 am

Air Europa - my two flights with them (my first and last) left me with a burst eardrum after they decided to descend to Gatwick at a rate that would have drawn applause from a Stuka pilot
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TWA, Pan Am and Eastern Airlines.

MisterNice
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Sabena
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Swissair and Canadian Pacific.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Air France --
    Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
    Originally Posted by alanR
    Air Europa - my two flights with them (my first and last) left me with a burst eardrum after they decided to descend to Gatwick at a rate that would have drawn applause from a Stuka pilot
    I hope it healed again and left no permanent damage?

Okay, so Spanair is rubbish, Air Europa is rubbish and Iberia is to be avoided too (low service, stone age aircraft)...
    Is there no good spanish carrier then?
    Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:26 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raph
    Okay, so Spanair is rubbish, Air Europa is rubbish and Iberia is to be avoided too (low service, stone age aircraft)...
    Is there no good spanish carrier then?
    I actually find the new(ish) business class on Iberia to be quite good on long-haul, and from Europe they have excellent connections to South America.
    Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
    Ansett Australia

Unless they resurrect, that is
    Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
    USAir... because of American West. American West was a joke of an airline.
    Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
    US airways, no question about it

Back when they started charging for drinks, I asked for water. They wanted $2 for it. I said, "What if I don't have $2, and I'm thirsty?"

The FA said, "Go get water in the bathroom."

Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
    Southwest.

Few reasons: 2 involuntary bumps within the last year (both of which left me stranded), very unpleasant dealings with rude employees, and lack of assigned seating. Never again!

While they do have exceptionally low fares most of the time, it's just not worth the aggravation. I would much rather fork over the extra $$ on American or United and go through ORD instead of dealing with WN's nonsense.
    Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
    Emirates for me. A very poor experience in J-class where they managed to split our seat assignments so that we were no longer sitting together and then tried to tell us that it was us that had assigned the seats that way. Never again.
    Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
    SAA. Flew IAD-JNB in 2008 in Y on what was then one of the longest commercial flights (it now apparently stops both ways in DKR) in complete misery cause by cramped seats even in the exit row we managed to score both ways, plane too hot, lousy food, lack of water, downright rudeness from one FA on the JNB-DKR leg of the return with a subsequent apology from the purser... That about sums it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.