Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why do hotels need your credit card when you check in for a fully-prepaid room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

why do hotels need your credit card when you check in for a fully-prepaid room? for example, fully prepaid on hotel's website, priceline, hotwire, or any other travel website.

last week I checked into an airport Hyatt with a $50 AmEx gift card that I got from a CLF lightbulb rebate. Since I had the kids with me on this trip, I asked that PPV, room service and LD phone calls be blocked from the room, which the clerk did without saying anything.

I had no idea how the clerk was able to run an authorization, but she probably punched in only $50, since the card showed $0 available when I went up to the room. The authorization went away and the card had $50 available balance a few days after I checked out of the hotel room. Used up the $50 on groceries a day later.

When I checked out, my bill was zero, since my room had already been prepaid on Priceline for the 4-night stay.

So, what was the point of the hotel asking me for my credit card in the first place?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Cleanup charges from smoking/pets, damage, etc.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by steamship
So, what was the point of the hotel asking me for my credit card in the first place?
In case you decided to leave with all the towels, the bedsheets and the television.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
There are 2 reasons hotels want your credit card at checkin:

1) Convenience for incidental charges. In addition to room service and in-room movies, you can charge all sorts of things to your room: parking, laundry, restaurant/bar charges, coffee/gift shop purchases. These sorts of things are normal and expected even on a prepaid rate. Collecting everyone's credit card means it's easy and convenient to bill to a room account.

2) Guarantee the hotel will be made whole for any damage/lost items. If you break a lamp, remove the TV, or hang your suit on the fire sprinkler, the hotel has at least a starting point to recover costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.