What makes a bad airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes a bad airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:41 pm
Suspended

There are several factors, but I think it comes down to airport ops planning that makes or breaks an airport.

1: Location
2: Terminal Structure
3: Facilities

One of my most loathed airports is Denver International and I think it's a good example of poor planning and of how NOT to design an airport.

1: Location----Denver International is a 40 minute drive out of Denver. Other airports like this include Toronto Pearson International and Belfast, where due to the drive transport to and from gets expensive, and is put at greater risk of missed flights from traffic and so forth. Good airports are located in town. Say what you want about PHX, but it's right down in the center of things. LAS too.

2: Terminal Structure--Denver International has 3 terminals with a consolidated concourse, which means that no matter what airline people are taking, they are ALL going through the same pick/up drop off, security lines, baggage claims etc, adding to crowds and extra time in security lines that are quite large. This also means an added dimension of getting to the gate..in the case of DIA, that's a train. However, it MAY make it easier for connections than some airports..good airports are designed so that you can walk between terminals easily (think LAX)..some airports like YYZ and FRA can make inter-terminal connections quite hairy. Crowd control is an issue as well. One example is MCI, the narrow circular terminals make for some bizzare security lines. LAS is a horrid airport for crowd control..it's too small as it is, but they put in blocks of slot machines which take up even more room for people.

3: Facilities..DIA does not use a consolidated rental car structure. This means finding a particular rental shuttle and longer rides depending on what rental car company you are using. There is only 1 gas station after that 40 minute drive, so returning your rental usually requires extra time waiting for a pump and elminates competition. I love the consolidated facility at LAS! Although LAS can drive me nuts, the rental car thing is easy there. However, the best airports have rentals in-terminal. I like airports like OKC and COS in which you simply walk out the front doors to your rental car. Shopping and restraunts help ease longer layovers..PHX is good for this, as is IAH. Substantial restraunts are important too, with a wide offering. More than McDonalds and Burgerking and a Fox sports bar...
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:20 pm

NOISE!!! Surprised no one has mentioned this. It's not beyond control: some airports are much noisier than others, so obviously there are ways to minimize it. Worst I've ever been in: ATL.

Interterminal connections that take forever by confusing bus routes. This was one of the reasons I stopped using LHR years ago.

Astonishingly expensive "airport hotels" which are so far away and have such erratic and slow "shuttle service" that you might as well just stay in town (LHR again.)

Having to go through multiple lines (LHR again -- the last time I used it I had to stand in nine different lines, which is one of the reasons that was the last time I used it.)

Layouts that trap you in places where you can't get to a rest room without going back out and then returning through security again. CDG is conspicuous for this. Especially idiotic was the fact that on at least one occasion the only rest room was through an exit door that gave no indication that after you exited you would have to go through security again to get back to the gate!!! I almost missed my flight because of this. But CDG in general seems to have been laid out by persons creating a textbook exercise in how not to design an airport.

No drinking fountains after security. Most recent example: VIE (an airport I otherwise like.) The medical need to keep hydrated on airplane flights is well established. So, hey, let's forbid people to bring water through security and then not let them have access to water afterwards. Passengers? They're not even cattle.

[Lest I be accused of negativity, there are some major airports that I at least don't dread going through: SFO, LAX, MSP, ATH.]
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by pinworm
One of my most loathed airports is Denver International and I think it's a good example of poor planning and of how NOT to design an airport.
I agree DEN makes a couple of huge mistakes, but mostly they got the important stuff right.

There were several good reasons to build DEN where they built it. One is that Denver is still growing rapidly, and in 20 years it probably won't seem that remote at all.

DEN has three separate security facilities, not one: East, West and Concourse A.

The big "mistakes" are the lack of walkways between concourses and lousy interface between airport and rental car facilities.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
How about fellow passengers? I was unfortunate enough to be in LTN on a Friday night waiting for a heavily delayed flight and the biggest problem was the airport being awash with obnoxious drunks on their way to stag and hen weekends.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dabears1020
If a train or some other kind of people mover is required to get to a gate, forget it. Huge minus points right there.
I actually like these. It's the only good thing about LAS in my opinion.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:39 pm

Also, moving walk ways that aren't moving!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:22 pm

I agree with RBH58 about poor signage. MEM comes to mind I went there last year and entering the concourse there were no signs indicating the direction to Baggage claim, Ground Transportation, etc. At least you had a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

Cha cha is right on about water fountains. There are no drinking fountains @ FCO. Kind of ironic for a City with so many.

BW
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
I agree DEN makes a couple of huge mistakes, but mostly they got the important stuff right.

There were several good reasons to build DEN where they built it. One is that Denver is still growing rapidly, and in 20 years it probably won't seem that remote at all.

DEN has three separate security facilities, not one: East, West and Concourse A.

The big "mistakes" are the lack of walkways between concourses and lousy interface between airport and rental car facilities.
The airport opened 15 years ago, 1995. So, 35 years of growth and Denver will grow to the airport.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by mojoloco
Now that I've flown to Hong Kong, I'm pretty sure most airports will pale in comparison. Totally efficient check in counter and security, immaculately clean, plenty of seating, good variety of shops, the works.
HKG is definitely a top-notch airport. I can have roasted goose at HKG, but pretty much all I can get at YYZ is a doughnut or whatever other slop they serve at Tim Hortons (the ubiquitous Canadian "institution").

One other thing I'd like to add:

Those that charge for baggage trolleys. Are we expecting the new immigrant family from Nepal or the visitor from Finland to carry local currency upon arrival? I realise they often accept credit cards, but it's just one of those things that can make travelling a real pain in the backside.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If it rhymes with "Gulles."
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Airports that have domestic and international terminals on opposite sides of the runways, and charge (in certain cases) to transfer between them. PER and SYD come to mind.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Dupe post.

Last edited by tuapekastar; Jun 2, 2010 at 12:46 am
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:27 pm

Here is a good summary of what represents a bad airport.
http://www.theonion.com/video/prague...lds-mos,14321/
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:36 pm

My pet peeve is always when I have a redeye departure and there are no services open after 9 or 10. Just because I'm leaving late doesn't mean I don't want a cup of coffee or snack! How hard is it to keep one newsstand open at all times of day and night?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Those that charge for baggage trolleys. Are we expecting the new immigrant family from Nepal or the visitor from Finland to carry local currency upon arrival? I realise they often accept credit cards, but it's just one of those things that can make travelling a real pain in the backside.
Yes - I was perplexed on arriving in SVO many years ago to find that an airside trolley cost a rouble - but since it was illegal to export roubles it was difficult to see how anyone could arrive with a rouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.