Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

do you need to replace your passport if it fell into the washing machine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

it was retrieved from pants pocket just before the machine started to wash,
but was already filled with water. the passport was soaked, but looked
semi-ok after it dried...

thanks!
Old May 27, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
My guess is that if the passport in its present state looks like it has been tampered with, you should replace it.

Also, if it is a newer passport with RFID chip, the immersion may or may not have affected the chip.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
If you need to ask the question, so will a border guard. Ergo the answer is yes.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I washed my passport in Australia. When I got back to the USA, I asked the customs officer about it. He said that the USA had no problems with it but other countries might. So I replaced it.
Old May 28, 2010, 1:16 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
It probably needs to be replaced.

A co-worker and I were in Warsaw renewing our Russian visas and his passport was a bit worn from being kept in his back pants pocket and the Russian consulate refused to issue him a visa because the passport was worn. He had to get a emergency new passport from the US embassy (boy was that fun! but he had it easy being ex-Air Force).
Old May 28, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
I had an old passport which had water spilled on it (and no time to replace before travelling). It attracted the attention of the border guard at AMS, and when I explained what happened, he replied "yes, that's what people with fake passports say"!

More fun was to be had when he asked if I had any other ID - such as a driving licence. I duly handed over driving licence to much confusion "where's the picture?" - to which I had to explain that UK driving licences don't have pictures!

Eventually he called his supervisor over, he took me into a side office, had a quick look at my passport, at my boarding card, and pointed out the quickest way to the gate
Old May 28, 2010, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What looks "semi-OK" to you, might look like a tampered or otherwise altered passport to an immigration officer. There is no point having it hanging over your head every time you travel so get a new one is the best advice.
Old May 28, 2010, 5:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I say renew it. I've had them spot things they found suspicious that I never noticed on an old passport that was starting to show some wear. It may be fine 95% of the time, but that one time it's not you don't need the hassle.
Old May 28, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: BA
As others have said, it will get rejected at the most inopportune moment and cause no end of grief.

The 'exceptionally worn look' is/was a popular way of trying to pass of forged/tampered with Passports as genuine.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've been travelling for 3 years with a passport that got soaked in Cambodia and then also had cough drops melt on it. The covers are scotch-taped together since they are starting to peel. I actually got extra pages added even after it looked like this. I do get occasional comments from US border guards but (fingers crossed) no other issues.

I really need to get a new one but since I travel int'lly on a regular basis, I'm having a hard time figuring out when I can do it.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Redhead
I've been travelling for 3 years with a passport that got soaked in Cambodia and then also had cough drops melt on it. The covers are scotch-taped together since they are starting to peel. I actually got extra pages added even after it looked like this. I do get occasional comments from US border guards but (fingers crossed) no other issues.

I really need to get a new one but since I travel int'lly on a regular basis, I'm having a hard time figuring out when I can do it.
If the prices haven't increased already, I'd try to get it done this year.
Old May 28, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by Redhead

I would have thought you could have got the passport replaced when you managed to find time to get extra pages added. Obviously, it's up to you but you might find it less hassle to get it renewed than to be denied entry to some faraway place where you don't speak the language. But YMMV.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
How does a passport fall into the washing machine? That like asking why the chicken crossed the road to a slaughter house?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
How does a passport fall into the washing machine? That like asking why the chicken crossed the road to a slaughter house?
Mine was in my jeans pocket and I thought I'd put it in the room safe.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:31 am
In memoriam

What if it falls into an "Arab" style toilet in Paris and is retrieved prior to the final flush?

This actually happened to a fashionable American lady I knew who lost her first encounter with the dread "Arab."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.