Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safest way to carry crystal on airline

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Safest way to carry crystal on airline

We are traveling to Romania this fall and wanting to return with family crystal, I am looking for guidelines or suggestions, on packaging, carry on or checked baggage? I have looked into the military hard cases...look good but expensive..worth it if there isn't another economical way?

BTW i've never posted to a talk forum ever....so don't even know if this is the correct way or not..

Thanks
Jr
Old May 16, 2010, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
jr_pdx, welcome to FlyerTalk!

We're going to move your thread to TravelBuzz where you're more likely to receive a timely response.

Enjoy the trip to Romania.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator
Old May 16, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jr_pdx
We are traveling to Romania this fall and wanting to return with family crystal, I am looking for guidelines or suggestions, on packaging, carry on or checked baggage? I have looked into the military hard cases...look good but expensive..worth it if there isn't another economical way?

BTW i've never posted to a talk forum ever....so don't even know if this is the correct way or not..

Thanks
Jr
Welcome to FT. I cannot comment upon how to pack it. Hopefully others can. But one thing I can tell you - is do NOT check it in. Carry it with you. Anything delicate or of value should always be in your carry on baggage, never in your checked bags.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Welcome to FT. I cannot comment upon how to pack it. Hopefully others can. But one thing I can tell you - is do NOT check it in. Carry it with you. Anything delicate or of value should always be in your carry on baggage, never in your checked bags.
I would agree with this statement. We would probably wrap lots of newspaper, bubblewrap, and carefully place it in a box within a bag.. but we are just too careful with everything.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

Can you give a better description of what you are talking about? Stemware or something like vases? Quantity?

It would help for the suggestions as to how to pack and move them.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Look at the Pelican cases with the "rip out" foam. Lots of different sizes and relatively inexpensive. You can even throw them a bunch of them into a suitcase if you have to check them in.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would have to agree with foam as well.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Look at the Pelican cases with the "rip out" foam. Lots of different sizes and relatively inexpensive. You can even throw them a bunch of them into a suitcase if you have to check them in.
+1

I use Pelican cases for my camera gear when I travel. Depending on the size of the crystal, you might be able to get a Pelican case that would be small enough to bring on-board...
Old May 17, 2010, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the case of venetian glass and chandeliers, seller does it, ships it, and insures it.

i am not famaliar with romanian crystal. if it is expensive, i would do the same.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:52 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
<removed because i just realized this is a 2 week old post>
Old May 29, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Carry on. And be prepared for the TSA as lead crystal looks like a dense mass (read: explosives) on their x-rays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.