Search

Taking food on plane

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 11:29 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Taking food on plane

Can we take food, bought at a grocery, thru security and on to the plane (it will be in my backpack)?

Okay, I admit it WE are flying coach from SAN to MSP and then on to STL. We would like to bring some bear claws with us from home to eat on the plane. We plan on eating one on each leg of the flight.

Last time we flew coach we bought junk (chips and candy) at the airport and brought it on board.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
You can bring anything that meets the TSAs criteria. I travel with fruit and nuts all the time. As long as you don't bring anything liquid or liquid like you will be fine. Even my protein supplement gets through, although once in a while they do the chemical test on the bags. No big deal. I
Old May 2, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Yes, as long as they are not liquids or gels. Yogurt, for example, will end of in the hands (and mouth) of a hungry TSO.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I'll take "bear claw" duty for you and make sure that TSA doesn't get THEIR grubby hands on them...

I've had problems with Yogurt and salad dressing, unless it is in one of those little packages, then I throw it in with my liquids and that seems to get through.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Yes, as long as they are not liquids or gels. Yogurt, for example, will end of in the hands (and mouth) of a hungry TSO.
Exactly. They definitely steal Yogurt, as well as anything else they want. It has nothing to do with security.

The airline doesn't care if you bring food on board.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:05 pm
fpm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
You can bring a dinner prepared by Ruth's Chris Steak House, you just won't be able to bring a bottle of Merlot to wash it down.

You are in for a long day of traveling, bring more than a bear claw.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

This topic is rather generic and not really specific to Delta Air Lines and the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

The new home for this thread is now the TravelBuzz! forum, as the topic deals with bringing food on-board an aircraft and not just about bringing food past the security checkpoint at an airport. Different airlines may have different policies, and it gives FlyerTalk members who do not participate in the Delta forum a chance to relate their experiences and ask similar questions.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
Old May 2, 2010, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have had meals prepared for me in thai or viet namese restaurants the night before, and brought them on board. i have brought all forms of left overs from last nights dinner. pad tai is much better than bear claw.
Old May 2, 2010, 2:05 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Thank you all for your responses. I might venture something more substantial, now that I know.

Thank you Canarsie for finding a suitable home for this question. I thought...will, thank you.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:08 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
At BOS "Meals on Fly" means the restautants will pack your lunch for the flight.

I find it an excellent alternative to overpriced and limited choices in the era of BOB.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ranles
Thank you all for your responses. I might venture something more substantial, now that I know.

Thank you Canarsie for finding a suitable home for this question. I thought...will, thank you.
When our family flies, we always pack a fair amount of food. On our last trip, we brought sandwiches, various fruits, snacks (like pretzels, goldfish crackers, etc), and gimbop (basically korean-style maki). I've taken slices of pizza through, also. Candy bars, nutrition bars (like powerbars, clif bars, etc) are also fine. I've also taken through an empty water bottle with flavored drink powder and mixed it up after security. A lot of options.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by fpm
You can bring a dinner prepared by Ruth's Chris Steak House, you just won't be able to bring a bottle of Merlot to wash it down.
The part that gets me is you can actually bring it if you purchase it past security. Because somehow their wine is better screened then the wine I bring

Drinking it on board, that's another story (I can easily open it)
Old May 3, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
i don't enter any airplane without my german sweets ;-)
i never had any problems with the FA or anyone because of my own food. they don't care if it isn't liquid above 200ml (?) ^
Old May 3, 2010, 10:24 am

Just please don't be that person that brings curry
Old May 3, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
A woman came on the plane on Friday carry one of these

It was full of cupcakes that she had made, so I your bearclaws sure won't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.