Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas discomfort during long flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Let 'err rip, just don't sneeze.

The Oatmeal suggests you are less offensive passing gas than sneezing.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sneeze_vs_toot
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a medical condition that predisposes me to gas pain. I've found several things help me avoid more serious problems.

1. Avoid carbonated beverages at all costs.
2. Carry gasX (simethicone) at all times.
3. Eat on as normal as schedule as you can. If this is impossible eat very small meals often
4. Avoid alcholic beverages of any kind, red meats, beans, and dairy if possible.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: QF
Surely some over the counter antacids will work.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Surely some over the counter antacids will work.
Antacids do very little for gas pains. Simethicone is also an over the counter medication that actuallly does help.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds
Antacids do very little for gas pains. Simethicone is also an over the counter medication that actuallly does help.
Just a note, though. My understanding is that simethicone works to relieve gas pain by making it easier to pass gas. So you may actually be farting more frequently. Diet goes a long way to reducing gas and smell (dairy, eggs, and red meat can really make 'em stink!)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
(dairy, eggs, and red meat can really make 'em stink!)
I've found that 10 pints and a vindaloo the night before a flight helps too.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I now take turmeric capsules 2x2 daily, no more flatulence, unless I forget to take them for a day or two....
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
The Cause of Flatulence During Flights

During most flights the cabin pressure reduces to around the equivalent of 8,000 ft, above sea level. At this point most people will have intestinal gases trapped at sea level pressure inside their digestive tracts. This is a relatively large pressure differential and the laws of physics state that the gas under pressure will seek to equalize the pressure with it's surrounding enviromment. The laws of phsics are now rapidly overtaken by the laws of biology, and the excess pressure is released through farting and belching.

Ergo, writing "it is not OK to fart" is not only a pointless exercise, it is a denial of science itself.

It may be selfish or thoughtless, but onboard an aircraft the farter has little or no control over which fartees will be affected.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Slow learner
During most flights the cabin pressure reduces to around the equivalent of 8,000 ft, above sea level. At this point most people will have intestinal gases trapped at sea level pressure inside their digestive tracts. This is a relatively large pressure differential and the laws of physics state that the gas under pressure will seek to equalize the pressure with it's surrounding enviromment. The laws of phsics are now rapidly overtaken by the laws of biology, and the excess pressure is released through farting and belching.

Ergo, writing "it is not OK to fart" is not only a pointless exercise, it is a denial of science itself.

It may be selfish or thoughtless, but onboard an aircraft the farter has little or no control over which fartees will be affected.
I won't have sea level gasses trapped leaving from my home airport because my home is about 4300 feet above sea level. Do the laws of physics dictate that there would be significantly more "crop dusting" from LAX-SLC than there is from SLC-LAX?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by Slow learner

I think the real problem here is that most airlines I fly on, including Delta, have a very generous selection of cheese or cheese-infused foods available during the flight. I've never really understood this, especially in the USA, where our pseudo cheese is just guaranteed to build high pressure within one's bowels.

A month or so ago, my wife and I had the misfortune to be seated mid-plane near a lav. For the first 2-3 hours after the initial meal service, there was a queue to the lav, and the gassing was just awful.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

As this is really not a topic of the Hall of Shame: Photographic Evidence of Disgusting Acts by Delta Air Lines Passengers discussion, the content shown above has been separated into its own discussion and moved to the TravelBuzz forum, where it will be viewed by a larger audience on FlyerTalk and not solely by those who frequent the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum.

For the record, I momentarily considered moving this discussion to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum due to its subject matter; but then I regained what little sanity I have left...

...so in terms of discussing this topic, please feel freely to simply...er...let it all out.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I saw once in an in-flight magazine's heath and safety section (I think it was on CX) that they recommended you avoid "gassy" foods prior to flight, such as cabbage and beer.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Canarsie
As this is really not a topic of the Hall of Shame: Photographic Evidence of Disgusting Acts by Delta Air Lines Passengers discussion, the content shown above has been separated into its own discussion and moved to the TravelBuzz forum, where it will be viewed by a larger audience on FlyerTalk and not solely by those who frequent the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum.

For the record, I momentarily considered moving this discussion to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum due to its subject matter; but then I regained what little sanity I have left...

...so in terms of discussing this topic, please feel freely to simply...er...let it all out.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Point taken, though the question is still out as to whether the first post needs a better intro as it's just sort of out there in a 'deal-with-it' way!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Everyone farts. A little "wayward wind" never killed anyone. Just don't ask a seat mate or an FA to pull your finger.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Everyone farts. A little "wayward wind" never killed anyone. Just don't ask a seat mate or an FA to pull your finger.
Ever had farts from a high protein diet? They say everyone is a fan of their own brand, but my protein farts come close to knocking me out some days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.