Search

Benefits of web check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None at all
Benefits of web check-in?

Hello,
I'm wondering what the advantage of web check-in is, if you still have to go through the long lines to check in your bags? Can any one help me with this?
Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
If you have no bags, then it's obvious.

For people with bags, it still matters, as pax who are IDB'ed (involuntarily denied boarding) in the event of an overbooking are the last ones who checked in.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:17 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Some airlines have a faster "baggage drop" line for those who have already checked in by web.

In addition, there may be seat changing / selection advantages to checking in earlier by web.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:22 pm

It all depends on the airline!

(for example if you are flying FR (Ryanair) and don't check in online and bring your printed out boarding card to prove that you did check in online, they charge you a fortune at the airport to allow you to fly)

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm Reason: close formatted spacing
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
You'll be able to find out if you're on the no-kiosk list, so you'll know to show up an extra hour early for your flight.

And if you're a terrorist and you can't check in on the web, you'll be able to cxl your flight and give the assignment to some other terrorist.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kd46
Hello,
I'm wondering what the advantage of web check-in is, if you still have to go through the long lines to check in your bags? Can any one help me with this?
Thanks
Depends on the airline. Some have "Bag Check Only" lines or at the curb with a check in line elsewhere.

But there is an advantage to checking in sooner. Less chance of a bump or re-seat, and on some sites you can pick your seat online..where otherwise you are leaving that to the agent who may well put you next to the kids or the toilet. They don't care, they aren't going on the flight.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Early web check-in guarantees you a seat on an oversold flight, and in many cases allows you to improve your seat assignment. Many a flight that shows a full seat map until day of travel magically opens up at T minus 24, and you can boost yourself from 37E to 6C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.